Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Wiring John Deere Snowblower to Cat 289D

Odwah · 2024-11-12 20:57

Hey all, tried searching for this but didn’t come up with anything definitive. Just purchased a Deere SB72B standard flow blower from a friend of mine. He had it wired to a control box for use on his Deere Skidsteer, and I’m hoping to wire it to use with my Cat 289D 14 pin for use of right joystick button controls for the chute. I’m guessing this is a pretty straight forward process, I purchased the Cat 14 pin connector from skidsteer genius, and that came with the pin outs for various machines including Cat. My question is I don’t see where to wire for power utilizing the two 12v (black and red) wires shown in the picture. I’m guessing brown is ground? And then the other two would be chute control. Just looking for some info so I can get this wired up correctly before the snow flys. Appreciate any feedback! Serial number for the Cat is TAW12368 if that helps at all.

Replies8
  1. #1Simon C2024-11-12 23:55

    You need to hook up an Ohm Meter to the end of the 3 wire plug on wire Brown ( which wire at 14 Pin connector end gives you continuity (A-P markings.) Do the same on Green wire to find mating pin on 14 pin end Do the same on Yellow wire to find mating pin ......... Black wire goes to some pin Letter Probably B (Ground) but I could be wrong Red wire goes to whatever pin ohm meter tells you. I have done 2 jobs as you are doing and had to move some of the pins to match the controls of the machine at the 14 pin end harness you bought. The reason is that it is a generic harness. Is it actually plug and play, or is it will work after you move pins to match your machine joy stick buttons Do not change pins at machine end. Have someone push joystick buttons for you while testing pins at machine plug to find what pin at machine each button represents. Be CAREFUL not to ground any pins! Hope this helps . Simon C

  2. #2Nige2024-11-13 03:03

    Would an electrical schematic for your 289D help.?

  3. #3Odwah2024-11-13 20:20

    Appreciate the reply’s, the ohm meter is a great idea, and having the electrical schematic wouldn’t hurt as well, thanks.

  4. #4Nige2024-11-14 04:34

    Schematic on the way. Check your message inbox.

  5. #5Odwah2024-11-18 17:42

    Just following up for anyone who has a similar situation, figured out the wiring as shown below, hope it helps someone in the future! Black wire - ground - pin B Red wire - chute down - pin C Yellow wire - chute up - pin D Brown wire - chute right - pin E Green wire - chute left pin F

  6. #6Nige2024-11-19 05:40

    Here's a snip from the electrical schematic of the connector. It appears as though the wire colours mentioned above are for the attachment side, not the machine side.

  7. #7Simon C2024-11-19 12:50

    Glad you got her figured out. As I said the ohm meter can help to figure out which pin a wire is tied to. Simn C

  8. #8steve wherley2024-12-07 10:12

    cat 14 pin B ground deere uses A pin steve at skidsteerstuff we build harness to match cat to deere