any one tried out the new 210? how do they compare to the w2100?
A company in North Carolina called Delta Contracting had one, I think its for sale now on Machinerytrader.com. Saw it last year while passing through on my way back to Florida.
We just got our 210 in a couple weeks ago. Obviously I probably won't to get to try it out til march or so. But from what our local wirtgen sales guy said, the 210 does very well and stays right with a 2100 in 3" or less, but 3" or more and the 2100 will walk away from it no problem. I don't know where he got that info and won't buy it unless I see it. It is definitely a nice machine though and can't wait to run it.
Also forgot to mention, it is a lot smaller than I expected, pretty much identical to a W2000.
In the video they show the operator sitting down all the time. I've never been comfortable sitting as a mill operator but This machine makes it quite feasible for the operator to have a good eye shot of whats up while milling. Biggest drawback I had sitting down was loading the truck, hard to see the entire body front to back.
I agree with you John, I have never been big on sitting down when milling. But to me its more than not being able to see in the truck, I just hate not being able to walk around and see what's going on. But lucky for you they have a camera on the end of the conveyor so you can see in the truck I'm sure you knew that already though. I have been tinkering with ours and its unreal the stuff the mill will do. The wirtgen school didn't teach me anything I didn't already know, but it would be very helpful to someone just getting into milling or moving over to wirtgen.
A Camera on the Boom? That 2200 I just came off running had a Camera mounted on the rear end for backing up (I guess) but didn't have the screen. Keeping a Boom Camera clean will be interesting. Control of the water to the conveyor might be the trick, Wirtgen School would be great for learning about Wirtgens, otherwise they make a smart enough machine that the operators really don't have to know much to run one.
There is actually 7 cameras on it. One on back, one on the conveyor, one on each side directly behind the cutter box, and two on each side in front me the cutter box
The company I am with purchased a 210 a couple weeks ago. Will be delivered early April so they gave us a 200 to burn up in the meantime,like the seats on the 200/210 will make sitting down while milling much easier and more comfortable,only thing it needs is a cup holder in the armrests.
We ran our 210 for the first time a couple weeks ago, 4-10" in place. Between 4-8" the load on the machine or speed didn't change one bit. We were doing 40 fpm up to 8" and bout 36 fpm at 10". That thing is a beast and a dream, and makes yours and the groundmans job way too easy..
It sounds like a beast... From what I am hearing from the crew on the 200, is that machine is also a dream. I have heard we are going to keep the 200 ,after the 210 is delivered. The mgr is at conex now so maybe he will bring back a 12 ft'er which we need badly or a red/white/blue machine.
http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWxoc-H2tVw&NR=1 Looks like that machine can handle heavy loads pretty well but....
I wouldn't call it a weight "issue"...more like a "buttload of power issue"
Hi everyone I have 1100 hrs on our 210 and have been trying to resolve the rear traction issue, Wirtgen has tried with computer updates but with no luck comments welcome. Here's the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wk2czOrpIPg&NR=1&feature=fvwp its youtube (Wirtgen W210 rear traction problems)
Hey milling_drum you are right Miller Group bought Smiths Construction we sub for Miller and Smith in this area. We do rumble strips with our W60 rumbler II 2 miles an hour. cha ching
Thats cool, one of Millers operators (I noticed he's on your yourtube page) has a video of himself running what looks to be a W600 rumble stripping on the 401 in the middle of winter. hahaha Down in Georgia I ran Millers rumble stripper down there, we were getting 1.5, close to 2 miles a day. They spec pretty hard on rumble strips down that way and sometimes it was necessary to slow down. (when they turned around it became haul ass time again again I commented over at Youtube about what might be something going on with your rear tracks slipping but I gotta tell ya, over the years since Wirtgen started mass producing mills, one came out perfect, two machines behind it off the assembly line came out kinda a mess and would NEVER run right no matter how many fixes or tweaks they would give it. Sometimes they were healed whatever ailment, sometimes they weren't. I dunno if that helps you but I've been seeing that with Wirtgen equipment since the Mid 90's at Miller in Canada. The company I started out with up there, D Crupi & Sons, wouldn't buy a Wirtgen. They Demo'ed one in 1992 but wouldn't buy it. They stuck to CAT and CMI and paid the price over there too
I know what you mean my W60 needed a new gearbox at 100 hrs but they come good for they're mistakes . I remember Miller with that giant CMI 12 ft in 95 or 96 on the 401 at Brockville . I didn't have mills then I had sweepers on pickup trucks . We could have crossed paths. Did you know Ken Kong that crazy f#%ker. Ya small world. Have you ever run the cat with the weld on holders that looks like a nightmare ,you can't beat the quick change drum. Chow for now, Mark
LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOO Holy **** ya I know those dudes!!! Did you know Ken Malloy? King Kong was his operator. They were both lunatics. One weekend it took me 3 days to get away from them back to Toronto just so I could barely do Laundry and get back to the 417 where Miller was working....They had me with them driving around after 6 or 7 cases of Molson, no lights in the service truck on county rds shooting at signs....1995 was the year I was with Miller up there, '87 to '92 was D crupi. WoW whatta flash back when you mention those names....Ken Malloy finally got fired for getting on the mill and taking a **** off the side of it while going over a bridge deck with all the big wigs from Miller watching, when I heard that my stomach hurt from laffing. The Bunch in Georgia were equally crazy. Miller in Toronto used to farm the mills to Georgia when they needed fixing. We used to get them from Talon Sebeq, New Brunswick Industrial cold milling. After I quit the Georgia Division in 1998, Donny V. the supt at the time (they were all CMI then) calls me up and tells me he has a brand new Wirtgen he needs me too run cuz none of them there knew anything about them. I get in the yard and see this machine up on blocks (it aint new at all) DC2100 with worn out track pads on the left front track...the EXACT same one I had been with when it was new in Toronto back in 1995....The CMI 12ft machine you saw was from Georgia, Toronto didn't have one. Kevin Kirkwood the foremen told me about going up there that year... Wow...the memories...For sure we met each other at some point that summer, prolly that hotel just outside Ottawa where they kept a room just for the cases of beer...hahahaha You might have swept for us when we did a job at the hospital in town that year, I remember something about them needing a special sweeper for that job. Wirtgen will always keep the customer happy, it ain't anyones fault what happens on the production line.
I gotta ? can the 210 pulverize in reverse because the drum spins when you back up. Hey milling_drum I gotta story for you after Ken got fired he came to see me about a job when I bought my first w500 I said no .LOL he treated me like sh#t then the table turned.Were u up here doing the 417 with Miller Georgia 12ft drum I remember that.
At the time of that job I was with the Miller operation from Toronto, we had the W2100 on that job. The 1050 was stuck at the border and the 2100 was covering for it getting started. By the time the group from Atlanta got to town I was already up in Arnprior with the Ingersoll. Ken and King Kong had the 2100 for a few months that year. I wouldn't try pulverizing with any mill, I've done it and it sucks because of the drum design. The flighting isn't right for it. Small jobs wouldn't hurt but anything past a few days would most likely cause some serious damage. The drum not shutting off in reverse is strange, I've seen some Wirtgens that will reverse with the drum on, but most won't.
We have a new W210. So far it's a dream to work with. You can easily sit down and run this machine comfortably. In my opinion this machine is as cutting edge as it gets right now. As far as comparing it to the W2100, I don't know, I've never run one. But I heard a 2100 will walk away from it in deep cuts. I think that Wirtgen made it so the drum will run while in reverse to save clutch wear.
Any word from Wirtgen on an idea to fix? Other than a massive counterweight? I was cutting 2.5" yesterday with a brand new set of teeth and couldn't get more than 45 fpm because the rears were just slipping and spinning like crazy. We are looking at buying a 12 foot mill here soon, and I have been excited about the W250. However after seeing and experiencing this traction issue, I am nervous the 250 will do the same thing, especially with a 12' drum on it...
Hey Toegrinder we are getting update 7 next week I'll keep you posted . Make sure Bob deJong knows about it (strength in #'s) What # is your 210 our's is 0017 do you know anyone else with a 210 I think Wirtgen fudged up . They know me in Nashville LOL Mark from Jenstar
The video that Jenstar posted shows the tracks slipping at different times, this means it is all directly related to weight. Wirtgen have the funny traction control system and I'm pretty sure you might have a fault or a bad ground maybe to blame. Toegrinder if your sinking a 12 ft machine anything past 4 inches, you know whatever losses to production are a result of its simply too big. Always pay attention to mouldboard pressure front and back, that can cause traction problems. Always try to keep the machine as level as possible in the cut.
,.M What does the update 7 change? My 210 is 0136. I do talk with another guy in the state who has a 210, he hasn't mention any problems with traction. I know Bob quite well, I would talk to him at least once a week with an old 2000 I was running that had electric problems daily...what a pile.
Hi guys We have a 2005 w2000 4000 hrs it's pretty good so far and don't get me wrong we love the w210 it's awsome to run we just don't like slippin. Mark
Hello everyone well we are off to a good start this season after a couple of weeks of rain. Anyway our W210 seems to be working better the last update during the winter did something ,so far so good.
favourite buttons? sorry to change the subject but I couldn't start a new thread. We just bought a 210 and are hitting the ground for the first time this monday. I was wondering if anyone new what the favorite buttons are for? there is one on the display and two on either control panel?
OMG I love it! Well since its a Wirtgen, Favorite buttons means "I dont know how to run a milling machine, please help!". Just kidding They are most likely operation tweaks, conveyor boost, load control, stuff like that.
Ok I guess the mechanic that trains us ought to know. I come from running cmi's gallion's and now wirtgens for the last 5 or 6 years. sometimes the manuals arent to explaining on certain things. the problem is the mechanic is a doofus and I usually end up training him so i dont think he'll be much help
Hi Jeffvega good luck with your W210 we have had ours for ove a year now and its great Josh at Wirtgen came to show us the startup he was ok and we could understand him LOL Any questions glad to help.
did they say to you what those favorite buttons were for? also anything to watch out for from someone with some experience with it?
lets see if this pic works http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29497626/IMG_20110601_113342.jpg
I'm not sure what buttons your talkin about a pic would help. Watch rear crawler traction we wore 50% of the rear track pads in 1000 hrs Wirtgen pro rated them at least but I'm sure its fixed now Good Luck
They are beautiful when they're new
well the first day went well. Man this is a cadillac Anyway I found out what the buttons are for, one controls the light on the front of the mirror (if so equipped) to tell the truck to move and the other is for some kind of optional gps grade control. My only complaint so far is having only two grade boxes. I don't like the idea of my groundman putting the machine down for me and also he has a hard time doing anything technical on the side with no box. were working on getting a third. Boy howdy this thing has power for its size
Reads like your having a good time One of the things about Wirtgen, once you get good with the control panel; you really don't need a groundman unless you are scarifying concrete and need a 100% visual behind the machine.
It's not a gps grade control, there is an option to mount an additional hydraulic sensor in front of the drum between the lower conveyor and the side plate. It runs about $3500 per side but let me tell you it is worth every penny. It was the first thing i ordered and it makes you wonder how you ever got along without it on roads without curb. I agree on the two grade control boxes...should have come with three, bout $3600 for an extra one.
Anyone figured out how to disable the rear steer safety that slows you down when you least need or expect it, especially in the middle of a radius wedge grinding causing your truck to run out from under you. We were able to disable it on our w2000 easy enough but don't know enough about the 210 yet
There is a way, i disabled mine, but it might be kinda tricky to explain. I took a picture but its on my puter and i wont be back to it til friday. Open your electrical box at the back of machine where all the breakers are. In the third row of plugs from the left, there is a green plug at the very bottom. On the harness that goes to that plug there is a white wire with heat shrink on the end of it covering a terminal. Take the heat shrink off that wire to expose the terminal, and plug the terminal into the open spot on the bottom right of the green plug. Voila, no more slowy slowy and looking like you dont know what you're doing. Let me know if you still need the pic.
think I understand but a pic to back it up would be great, Thanks so much for the info. Also how did you figure that out? are you good with wirtgen schematics or did you just do trial and error?
Thanks so much for the info. It worked like a charm and makes running the machine much nicer. I still would like to know how you found out about that. our rep direct from wirtgen didnt know how to do it.
You guys wouldn't know how to disable that on a W2200 would ya?
more than likely it the same as a 2000 and it was a wire going from the i/o side of the steering controller to the i/o side of the travel controller, It might be a while till Im around our 2000 again but i'll try to get a wire # and check the 2200 schematics
Hey jenstar, i'm bidding a job for 11" removal, how quick were you moving along with yours at that depth?
great now I have a fracture sensor cable error on the right side front steering stick, anybody know anything about that? The dealer trying to fix it under warrante isn't able to find the problem
Don't let a tech near your machine with the rear steer travel control disabled...Wirtgen love to mess with warranty once factory settings have been messed with.
Our tech is the one that told me how to disable it...
Some German fella cussed me out cuz I wanted to disable that travel control feature....He had showed up at the shop (Asphalt Milling Services, Ft Lauderdale Fl. 2006) out of the blue to inspect the W2000 recently purchased. The actual item he was looking to inspect was that exact feature, they were not sure if that machine had it or not. He basically laffed me off and told me Wirtgen would void the warranty if the switch was tampered with. Then, he gets up and looks in the engine compartment, with less than 500 hours on the machine he turns around and looks at me asking who put Baldwin filters on the engine... He ignores me, marches in the office where the owner is/was, and informs him that CAT engine warranty specs mean using CAT filters for the duration of break in....less then 10 minutes after that fiasco I was on my way to CAT for filters... That was actually funny that bit about going around a radius and the truck driving away because the travel control cut in...HILARIOUS actually. I can see our friend Toegrinder has a very special relationship with Wirtgen...nice.
You know how truck drivers are, If you CAN get them to pay attention to what they are doing its only moments at a time so as soon as your pace changes that abruptly they don't slow down until they hear it bouncing off their gate. Yeah our tech doesnt know how to do it, I might tell him once this problem is resolved. Its always good to have the tech's in your corner
We could go about 30 ft / min or faster depending on material we got it hard up here in Canada
Us that don't have fancy easy to run Wirtgen's usually take a depth like that in 2 passes to keep the machine moving faster. Usually the top is alot harder than the asphalt thats buried 5 inches and the second pass is a blow and go. In that softer layer the mouldboard loves to grab too much base and kinda throw the grade around a little. But hey...running junk is cool too
Yah we do the double pass also we get more production , bit life and machine life.
Anybody have issues with their sensors randomly turning off? Mine will do it 1-5 times a day and we dont notice until its cutting too deep or coming out of the cut. I have talked to wirtgen a couple times with no luck so far. The main monitor will occasionally go blank as well and i have to restart the mill to get it working. Wirtgens are definitely the leader in mills, but they can be a mother to troubleshoot when you have an electrical issue
We had this issue before you can turn down the sensativity , it goes off if the ski moves quickly.
It does it when there is no grade change at all.
Well, even with the issues we have had, we put a down payment on our second 210 yesterday. Hopefully the bugs will be worked out of it. I've got a small oil drip in my main engine. Plus the crap that is plugging up the fuel filter on the second engine. Turns out it's the gasket for the inspection covers for the fuel tank. The fuel is deteriorating the gaskets...covered under warranty of course.
sound like a pain in the ass bro. gimme an ole cat 1000 any day
Got the oil leak figured out, just a loose fitting. I miss the 1000 too, but i would never go back to a w2000 after this 210. Any new machine is gonna have its bugs to work out in the first year
i guess the 210 is a 2100 with upgrades and ****..I dont know. witrtgens spoil operators, they ar way to easy to run. keep them, greased andt tehy will treat you well. neglect them and it will be a nightmare. we have a cvat pm 200, a 2100 and a cat pm 201 and a wirtgen 1200 here. im done with the low ballin wages though. i am headed back to nevada where the real money is. ya gota make 1000 a week to make this **** worth while! let me know how you like that 210. btw where are you working at now adays? who was your side kick when you where in vegas?? I remember a litle here and there, but most of all is i remember your thornbirds on that little toyota ya had. hope youre doing well, have you been milling this whole time? hit me up 702-480-6281 peace or ill see ya on here
It was Hank that was with me in vegas too. Yeah i have been milling since '01. I left app in '07, came to CO, found an investor bought some mills and started the biz.
Did you ever get this figured out? I got this same error message the other day. Our second 210 comes in next week, can't tell you how excited i am to go through these probs again. :-/
it was the steering joystick on the right side, covered under warantee
I think Jeffvega is Luke from Delta in Cali.
close, He's my dispatcher. I'm one of the senior operators
Cool, I spoke to him this week....
Just talked to him. Union can be a real pain but not impossible. we are in our "lick your wounds and repair" mode now. sucks working on machines in freezing temps. 30* in the morning, but that may be like summer to some of you guys. guess we have another new 210 to pick up next week and are in the market for a used 2000 for next year so things must be good in the office.
Thanks for mentioning me to Luke, we had a pretty good conversation. Funny when I mentioned my email as milling_drum he already had heard that handle before I didn't know it got that cold there, rumour has it that milling is an all year thing in cali which is why I go poking around there every winter. Working on machines at ANY cold temps, shop or not is not that much fun because of the fact its easier to break things that wouldn't get broken if it wasn't so cold.... Imma do some poking around local 3 and see if I can get a foot in over the winter. LA local 12 gave me the green light last year so I might wind up having to use them in the figure...we will see.
Do that, We have some less then stellar operators/groundmen I'd like to not have to work with anymore. We're a small company but gaining customers every year. Thats why we need another 6'. It used to be all you had to do was wait till the season was going and getting in the union was simple, But now with the economy in the shape it is they want everyone on the list working first. The problem is when you ask for a milling machine operator they have none but still wont let you hire off the street. You would think they would want the dues and retirement contributions. Makes it a real pain cause during the season if your on the out of work list there is a reason and we don't want them anyway.
If Local 3 over there runs the same as 12 in LA it shouldnt be a problem because the way they were going to use me was JUST for milling... I'll PM you the rest so this thread isn't completely wrecked.
After getting a close up with a 210, I'm seriouly impressed with the differences between the older style and newer design. Even the front bulkhead looks like it will do spot better than previous designs. Didn't like the fact of not having a manual engine rev....or maybe I just couldn't find it. Great machine.
Manual engine rpm switch is on the center console right next to the start button...definitely your first day
hahahaha that means they don't know where it is either and have been running it as such....they had the mounts for the screens almost right over the key and I had to point out that it swivels... As I was leaving whoever moved it out of the shop didn't bother to set it down even a couple of inches, and it was covered in gravel from the last job they had done with it which was actually at the Wirtgen training center in Lansing. Not so sure I'm going to hop into bed with that just yet
Was woundering if this can be hooked up on a switch? To turn it on and off without shutting the machine down. Gotta watch out for the lowboy drivers. Thanks Mike/Pa
Was woundering if this rear steering bypass wire can be hooked up on a switch? To turn it on and off without shutting the machine down. Gotta watch out for the lowboy drivers. Thanks Mike/Pa
just for fun http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wk2cz...1&feature=fvwp
we coudl offer cat holder and qc110hd holder, [email protected]
We could offer the ht11 holder, cat holder and qc110hd holder, KPF303R HOLDER. WWW.WXBAUSDE.COM [email protected]