I had it running awhile back, but let the carb sit and it gummed up. Just replaced it with a new one, now it starts, runs for a second and then dies, seemingly no matter the throttle butterfly position. Could it be something with the governor? Maybe the main adjustment screw on the carb not out far enough? It's 1.5 turns out from the stop. Here's a video of it trying to start:
do you have a ignition switch on it sounds like switch gives power in crank position but not run try holding it in start position wile running see if it stays running
I just have a pushbutton that runs the starter. I have another switch on the panel that kind of disintegrated. I bought another one as a replacement, but can't figure out what wires to connect, do you know what that switch is supposed to be wiring together?
This is wiring diagram for a VG4D. Quite simple design.
Cool. From the diagram it looks like I wouldn't be getting any spark at all unless the ignition switch were in the on position, correct?
Wild idea-do you have the starter switch and the starting solenoid. Could the solenoid be feeding the ignition coil as long as the starter switch is pressed.
I think the ignition switch would have to be on to run. You also use it to have a way to shut the engine off.
There might be a weird feedback voltage that powered the coil, not sure. Either way, I can wire up my ignition switch with the wiring diagram and have a way to shut it off, which is a good idea either way.