Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Work Brau coupler with massive play.

keif ยท 2023-05-05 10:17

Just bought a used machine with a Work Brau manual quick coupler. I've had TAG wayne Roy's in the past and heard complaints about the slop in them, but they've got nothing on this Work Brau. Any suggestions to tighten it up? I'm guessing welding to build up/tighten up the area bucket pins go in or upgrade to a hydraulic pin grabber? Lol.

Replies5
  1. #1KSSS2023-05-06 12:24

    Can you post a picture the coupler? It should have a bolt with a nut on it that tightens it up. If the pin grabber in the front of the coupler is wallowed out it may just be worn out. building up the grabber and grinding it down would be easy enough. WB can rebuild them as well so they told me at one time. I like the coupler, I have had it on 3 different machines, I noticed at about 3500-4000 hours it gets loose, but I liked how fast you could change buckets. A hyd. pin grabber is the best route, after decades of the manual coupler I finally got smart and went with a hyd coupler.

  2. #2keif2023-05-06 14:31
  3. #3keif2023-05-06 14:49

    Looking at again I'm not sure if this bucket has the right diameter pins. It was supposed to have a 24" work brau bucket but the shipped to me with a 18" TAG buckets. They are shipping me the 24" work brau so I'm going to wait till I have that before I do anything.

  4. #4KSSS2023-05-06 15:17

    I was going to say, either the pin diameter is wrong or it is really worn out. My Taki 153 and 257 are 45 mm. Its the same coupler I have had. Looks like that bucket had the WR coupler replaced with pins. The top of the pin is also somewhat flattened at the top of the bucket. I would also wait until the WB bucket shows up and see what you have. Problem is though, if the machine was run like this, it no doubt wobbled out the pin grabber on the QC, so even if it wasn't worn out before, it likely is now.

  5. #5Jbullfrog2023-05-25 17:45

    I have a WB coupler and have never had issues with slop between it and the pins. Mine has a bit of side play to the stick. I put shims in it when it was new to take up the slack. My buckets pins are 1-3/4" on a CX50B Case.