Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

work pics

coopers ยท 2005-01-12 02:02

Does anyone have new pictures of their machines on the job? I've seen some by going throught he archives but there's not a lot. Blake WA

Replies324
  1. #1coopers2005-01-22 19:10

    I just saw a tumble weed roll by too! WOW :bash :sleeping Blake WA

  2. #2badranman2005-01-22 22:13

    I'm hoping alot of guys here are just busy with snow like myself. Tonights storm will be the third significant one in SEVEN days! Seems like we just get done and rested a bit and WHAM it's back. Like they say, white gold. I'm hoping to get a digital camrea real soon so we can get pictures of jobs before and after, not only to show future clients but in case of any "complaints".

  3. #3Cat4202005-01-22 22:46

    Not sure about Canada, but I'm pretty sure digital pictures are not admissible as evidence in the U.S., due to the fact that they can be altered so easily. You still might want a digital camera for regular pictures and then use a disposable camera for pictures to be prepared to settle future disputes.

  4. #4littledenny2005-01-23 21:08

    Roger that. Real pix of the important stuff.

  5. #5coopers2005-02-02 00:18

    Well, this isn't an action shot but it's in regards to my work. Here's a JD 120 C excavator, QC plumbed for breaker/compactor. Blake WA

  6. #6BKrois2005-02-02 15:46

    Heres a picture of my friends John Deere 110 w/ blade

  7. #7BKrois2005-02-02 15:48

    Heres a Kobelco SK150

  8. #8BKrois2005-02-02 15:53

    Komatsu Excavator

  9. #9BKrois2005-02-02 15:57

    Komatsu PC150

  10. #10BKrois2005-02-02 16:00

    Heres my bosses Akerman H10 and a New Holland rental with a hammer.

  11. #11BKrois2005-02-02 16:06

    John Deere 70 excavator

  12. #12BKrois2005-02-02 16:11

    Another pic of the machine. Its got a wain roy coupler, hes got a thumb and hammer for it. Nice machine

  13. #13CT18fireman2005-02-02 22:33

    That John Deere is a nice machine. I used one once (borrowed) to help excavate for a pool. Was the perfect size for that job. We hit some good size boulders and it handled them with ease. Did not leave a real heavy footprint and was very manuverable. More machine then I would need on a regulare basis but for the right work hard to beat.

  14. #14CT18fireman2005-02-02 22:35

    Nice pics as usual Brian.

  15. #15coopers2005-02-02 23:00

    Sweet pictures. That 120 I posted is going out on rent tomorro, or Friday, cant' remember. I'll get pictures of it if I can. Blake WA

  16. #16badranman2005-02-03 18:59

    What year is the 70D? I wish I had a digital camera, a friend of mine has his 1990 70D right outside my house on a neighbors lawn. He's going to be doing some excavating for an addition. Too much snow right now as well as he has some work to do on the tracks. He's going to try and repair it in my yard so maybe I'll try and borrow a camera and take some pics.

  17. #17Nac2005-02-03 19:38

    160 clearing snow Here is a job I am about to start have to clear some snow for a tracking pad.

  18. #18Nac2005-02-03 19:40

    160 Loading truck Here is one of my operater live loading trucks as we dig out a 9' basement.

  19. #19Nac2005-02-03 19:42

    160 excavating a basement Here is a shot of my operater excavating a basment.

  20. #20Nac2005-02-03 19:45

    544 J loader Here a pic a machine I have to move the fill when the dump trucks cant keep up.

  21. #21Nac2005-02-03 19:48

    160 & 544 Here is a pic of the 160 & 544 Look in th backgroud the pile I have to load tommarow. All ready took out 78 loads out in 2 days.

  22. #22badranman2005-02-03 22:58

    Thanks for the pics Nac. Over half of that spoil would have been rock here in good 'ol Nova Scotia. Can't seem to ever get the trench walls looking that straight, damn rock! :cussing

  23. #23John Banks2005-02-04 08:36

    Same here in CT. Whenever we dig, you can just about guarantee we'll hit some sort of rock, ledge, etc. It's never a nice easy dig! That looks great though... I would be in heaven if I even had one project that started like that :bouncegri

  24. #24BKrois2005-02-04 14:30

    Heres a picture of a Case trackloader i just took today...

  25. #25BKrois2005-02-04 14:32

    This is probably the cleanest excavator around here...original paint too. Gets wiped down almost every day.

  26. #26BKrois2005-02-04 15:01

    I'm guessing my friends 70D is a late 80s/early 90s. He really doesn't use it much, once in a while. He uses it more for hammering jobs than anything.

  27. #27CT18fireman2005-02-04 15:21

    John you are so right about conditions here. Usually the first 3-4ft is pretty clean because it was all farmland, any deeper and you run into problams. Although the new project going on Federal Road at the Brookfield, New Milford line, they were hauling clean topsoil out of there did not even need to be screened. So much farming over the years that they went a good 6-8 ft without much problem.

  28. #28kamerad472005-02-04 16:36

    Hey NAC is that job in jersey ? how many trucks did you have there ? & were did you bring 78 loads in jersey hard to find?

  29. #29Nac2005-02-04 17:19

    Yes job is in New Jersey (Long Branch, South Jersey) Its the second house in from the beach. Found a local truckng company only charged me $25.00 a load plus $480.00 a day for a tandem each truck did 10 -12 loads a day. If it was in my area whould have cost me $85.00 a load plus $500 a day for a tandem and only 4 loads a day.

  30. #30will_gurt2005-02-04 17:48

    Here is one of a fellow member doing some site grading with a big rock.

  31. #31will_gurt2005-02-04 18:27

    Sorry People for the links only. It seems the photo posting area does not like me today. I tried, man did I try! :cussing

  32. #32badranman2005-02-04 18:45

    Someone can correct me but I think if you post only one pic then the pic will show? If you post 2 or more in the same reply then it has links?

  33. #33coopers2005-02-04 21:14

    If you try to post more than one, it will upload the last one picked. So basically only one is put on the page. Blake WA

  34. #34digger242j2005-02-07 01:02

    The conversation about foundations and footing drains that was going on in this thread was worthy of being in its own thread (and it didn't have any new pictures), so I split it out into a new thread here .

  35. #35coopers2005-02-15 00:31

    I had to pic up a 47" roller today and remembered to bring my camera since the 120 was on site also. Here's one of 3 pics I took. This is the best shot. Blake WA

  36. #36BKrois2005-02-15 13:29

    My friend just gave me a old photos today i just scanned in, heres one of a house demo

  37. #37BKrois2005-02-15 13:32

    953 Trackloader

  38. #38BKrois2005-02-15 13:33

    Another house demo pic

  39. #39BKrois2005-02-15 13:36

    Heres one of the Komatsu PC150 when he just bought it, it had a little over 1000 hours on it and didn't have the hammer lines or quick coupler yet.

  40. #40BKrois2005-02-15 13:44

    Nicks Western Star tri-axle hauling rock for someone

  41. #41coopers2005-02-15 14:01

    Nice looking excavator. I know that hyd. thumbs are more expensive but seems like it would be big pain to have one for an excavator. I used one on a backhoe but that was no big deal, I couldn't imagine using one on an excavator. Nice pics.!! :drinkup Blake WA

  42. #42Tigerotor77W2005-02-26 19:47

    What's the attachment at the rear bumper?

  43. #43cat3202005-02-26 20:12

    Looks to be a winch to me . the only other attachemnt that I would have on there would be a ripper but you would know that if you saw it .

  44. #44Dwan Hall2005-02-27 03:34

    All nice pictures. Here is my Takuchi TB070 and Ford ready for work.

  45. #45Dwan Hall2005-02-27 03:38

    The ford again and 1 of 3 975 Bobcats ariving at the job. Between the bobcat, excavator and dump truck I thought I had everything I needed. LOL Seems you can always find a place in your lineup for more equipment.

  46. #46woberlin2005-02-27 06:02

    Nice looking equipment Dwan. It seems you can never have to much equipment, or to many trucks. How do you like your tb-070. I spent some time on a tb-035 and was very impressed.

  47. #47Dwan Hall2005-02-27 12:44

    I like it. But I would not be able to compaire it with anything but a couple of Real old Cats. For what it was made for it seems to be a good piece of equipment. Last year it was mostly used to plant rocks. anf feeding a topsoil screen. This year it will clear my personal lot on the beach.

  48. #48BKrois2005-02-27 20:36

    Heres some new photos Komatsu PC60

  49. #49BKrois2005-02-27 20:37

    Another angle

  50. #50BKrois2005-02-27 20:39

    Heres some photos of my friend stripping topsoil at a lot with the PC150 and moving it around with the 953 trackloader

  51. #51BKrois2005-02-27 20:40

    Heres the PC150

  52. #52BKrois2005-02-27 20:41

    953 Cat trackloader

  53. #53CEwriter2005-03-04 11:27

    not MY equipment I don't know where these photos originated, but they're interesting . . .

  54. #54norrodbh2005-03-07 14:54

    Here's my last drainage project. After the major rainfall we had last year, I believe this is going to be the year of the french-drain.

  55. #55norrodbh2005-03-07 14:55

    another, same job.

  56. #56norrodbh2005-03-07 14:56

    OK, one more ...

  57. #57coopers2005-03-26 19:52

    Here's our JD 160C LC excavator. Quick coupler and all....nice machine. I like it! :drinkup Blake WA

  58. #58coopers2005-03-26 19:54

    ....and one more. Blake WA

  59. #59coopers2005-04-23 21:25

    Amazing how quickly the new 120's get to this stage of looking old! It did however just come off a job site so it does need a major bath. Blake WA

  60. #60Sidewalkgrader2005-06-17 09:56

    Sidewalk Grader pic Hey some great shots.. There are certainly bigger machines but not many earn $250 an hour! see more pics and video at www.sgs-2000.com Bill WA

  61. #61coopers2005-06-18 21:16

    That's an interesting attachment. Pretty cool but doesn't that fall in the catagory of too far? I mean, is it really neccessary to have that extra baggage on an excavator? Just food for thought. Blake WA

  62. #62Dwan Hall2005-06-18 23:53

    If a contractor was looking for production and already had the excavator and ofcorse there was enough work for it I think it be a good investment. Providing it didn't cost an arm and leg.

  63. #63RonG2005-06-19 04:56

    I am sure that there are places in the world that will let you pour a sidewalk on the ground like that but in this part of the country we need to install a base under the sidewalk and depending on the expected use it can consist of 8 or more inches of process stone and even a compacted base of gravel under that. It appears to be a pretty slick machine for what they are using it for but one needs to know how it can work for you before you make the investment. On the projects I have done with asphalt curb the sidewalk goes in long before they prepare for paving and that mini would have a heck of a time holding a grade driving on the road base that is usually in place at the time. Many towns require a snow shelf between the road and the sidewalk which would put it out of reach for that machine. It is neat but be sure you need it. Ron

  64. #64dayexco2005-07-02 11:26

    did some work here last year at local water treatment plant...had to install this wye apparatus so we could "pig" the 16" line from well field to treatment plant 5 miles away.

  65. #65dayexco2005-07-02 11:42

    4th generation excavator operator here's a pic of my grandson isaac on our new hyundai 210

  66. #66No1Hookman2005-09-11 09:45

    And now, a word from the Air Force. Grove RT 745.

  67. #67Nac2005-12-05 18:22

    Here are some recent job pics: #1: Conduit trench #2: Concrete boom pump

  68. #68Nac2005-12-05 18:25

    Here some more recent job pics: #1: Retaining wall job #2: Interior demo baler room #3: New Labounty grapple for my PC-45 #4: New Geith grapple for my 160Clc

  69. #69Nac2005-12-05 18:29

    Here are some more recent job pics: #1: An incenerator about to be demo'd #2: Here it is in 2 pieces after I cut it loose and pick it witha 65 ton crane and set right into my containers #3: Tilcon paving a parking lot for me #4: A fleet of dumps full of asphalt waithing to dump we placed 1,200 tons in about 4 hours

  70. #70rino14942006-03-03 19:54

    Here is me 2 years ago......i'll have to start taking some pics, because this is all I have. :bash

  71. #71dayexco2006-03-03 20:45

    now HERE's a slick idea! http://cgi.ebay.com/CASE-1845-UNILOADER_W0QQitemZ7596142737QQcategoryZ11766QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

  72. #72digger242j2006-03-03 22:52

    I bet those would void the warranty... :yup

  73. #73Dozerboy2006-03-06 02:12

    Ride ruff too

  74. #74atgreene2006-03-06 16:17

    Since this thread is back-up, here's a couple pics of my Takeuchi 135 with Bearclaw thumb and MCFaulkner quick-attach coupler.

  75. #75atgreene2006-03-06 16:23

    My ripper tooth and thumb. I've also got the 3' hydraulic tilting grading bucket and a skeleton bucket for sorting rocks. I do primarily tree clean-up, stone work, driveway repair and drainage/septic excavation. I bought this machine new in July of '05 to replace and older Tkeuchi 025 that I had for 2 years. So far it's been a great machine.

  76. #76atgreene2006-03-06 16:32

    Here's a couple more pics from a retaining wall, drainage and septic install that I did last summer.

  77. #77badranman2006-03-06 23:37

    Nice work. Does the ripper work very well in the frost? I could have used it today if it does. I had about 14" of it to get through.

  78. #78atgreene2006-03-07 10:59

    It works amazingly well. I had to dig a water line 2 ? weeks ago, had a big area of frost approximately 1' thick and broke it all up in no time. I was more impressed than I thought I would be. It's also great for breaking up ledge, if you can work it into a crack, it will pull it apart. For wood and rocks, it allows you to lift a greater weight, due to it being lighter than a bucket. Here's a pick of some frost and of the skeleton bucket.

  79. #79coopers2006-03-08 17:27

    Nice machine! Blake WA

  80. #80Finance Guy2006-03-16 22:01

    You have shown me some nice pieces of equipment!!! I love this stuff!!! :yup FG

  81. #81Finance Guy2006-03-16 22:03

    Hey Coopers... Good job on the WSP!!!::thumbsup My Dad was a Seattle Police Officer for 31 years. FG

  82. #8290plow2006-03-23 12:55

    New Holland PC 120 and F-650

  83. #8390plow2006-03-23 13:02

    New Holland on the Job

  84. #8490plow2006-03-23 13:06

    Our PC 120 up front and the rental PC200 on top.

  85. #85tylermckee2006-03-24 21:33

    top to bottom: the 160 and old ex120 first couple of lots in this development we are doing, utilities stubbed up truck, pup, and equipment trailer

  86. #86cat3202006-03-25 08:57

    We dug out a 2K gal oil tank here is a few pics of it

  87. #87Nac2006-04-02 18:55

    Here are some recent job pics:

  88. #88Nac2006-04-02 19:00

    Here are some more:

  89. #89Wawrecker2006-04-12 17:32

    This is a job we started this week, 60,000 sf all steel warehouse built in 1938. Gotta love the current scrap prices. We have a 480 kobelco with a bucket and thumb and a 992 John Deere mounted with a Labounty UP 40 & shear jaws. Fun stuff.

  90. #90tylermckee2006-04-14 23:00

    Little bit of clearing

  91. #91tylermckee2006-04-14 23:04

    little brush pile, its actually thrown as high as that 140 can get it and then some. its some dirty nasty crap as there is about 2 feet of mud covering the whole place. Who would have thought you would have so much water at the bottom of a hill, this part of the property is just a hair away from being wetlands :Banghead

  92. #92tylermckee2006-04-14 23:10

    Ive got a ditch dug to catch the ground water its start at about the middle of this pic and runs around to the left following the grass line then heads follows alongside the road into the lot and eventually hits the drainage dith along side the main road. Two days ago if you walked across the field you would be up to your waist in mud, now you can at least walk across it.

  93. #93Ford LT-90002006-04-15 22:39

    Thats a little scary doing land clearing with excavators with no gaurding on them You bump a tree with the counter weight on the machine a snag fall down on the cab its enough to leave some heavy brown marks in your undies. Those factory cabs are mainly just for residential construction they cave in like a tin can. The job looks good similar to what we have here the trees are a little bigger and the ground a little steeper but pretty close. You should see the slash piles the Hitachi 400s pile they are as high as most 2 story houses and cover about the same foot print. With the guys with the bandsaw mills (wood mizers) we have now the days are gone burning bigger diameter wood in slash piles. If its 12"s and bigger in diameter and as short as 8' long the mill guys will buy it. Its nice to see its going for value added instead of going up in smoke.

  94. #94tylermckee2006-04-16 04:00

    It was mostly a bunch of alders i knocked down. a few ceders and a hemlock or two, nothing really big, biggest tree was maybe ~20".we were thinking about seeing if we could make a pulp load out of it but me and a few other guys will probably just chop it for fire wood. You can kinda see that around on the perimeter of where i cleared the trees start getting bigger, the soil is a lot better there, nice and sandy. Where i cleared is just 2 feet of wet slime on top of clay, those trees pushed over real easy.

  95. #95CascadeScaper2006-04-16 11:24

    I've pulled out about 4 orchards now. First couple I had a 312 and was dealing with "large" trees, about 10" in diameter and 15 feet tall with the typical 4 leaders, much like any other hardwood tree. For those jobs, it was swing, curl the tree between the bucket and thumb and pull. Then I'd set one down, grab 4 more and head back to the pile. We burned all of the trees I pulled, piles got to be at least 20' in diameter and as tall as I could stack them. It sure would make me a little uneasy stacking those trees on the pile when it got to be huge. You'd feel like if you set them down they'd roll off and hit the machine. I actually had that happen a couple times, didn't get the machine, just landed in front of me as I was walking away from the pile, kinda freaked me out a little bit.

  96. #96tylermckee2006-04-16 14:13

    as you are stacking just beat the trees into the pile and break all that crap into smaller pieces, you need to anyways to keep the pile smaller. or sit back far enough that if it rolls it wont matter, then swing full speed and let it fly.

  97. #97Dozerboy2006-04-16 20:45

    Out of all of the demo and trees I've knocked down I never had any guarding, never really thought about something like that until now.

  98. #98tylermckee2006-04-16 20:46

    Neither have I,I say we just dont think about it!:drinkup

  99. #99digger242j2006-04-16 21:45

    Now is the time to think about it. When one of them snaps back toward you, it's already too late...

  100. #100rino14942006-04-17 06:12

    I've cleared acres and acres and loaded trucks with stumps with no thumb or guards for years. We got a thumb about 6 or 7 years ago, but still no guards

  101. #101CascadeScaper2006-04-25 11:56

    Here's some pics of this last weekend. This machine is our loaner until our new 312CL gets here on Thursday! We have a huge job, about 90 acres of orchard to remove in about a months time. This was a job I was doing for a friend this weekend. Enjoy. You'll have to use the links, they were too big to resize and I'm lazy! Haha

  102. #102Wawrecker2006-05-05 10:56

    More Demo Pics This is a Shopping center we did a substantial amount of Selective demo, Here we are breaking inplace an 8" concrete tilt wall, We removed 250 lf on this site in addition to gutting the building.

  103. #103Wawrecker2006-05-05 10:59

    Another from the same building removing the entry canopy, Just a couple cuts with a torch in the right place and pull it over!

  104. #104Wawrecker2006-05-05 11:02

    this is an old warehouse in Tacoma where we completly demo'ed a 60' section from roof to dirt while business as usual was conducted on both sides of the work.

  105. #105Wawrecker2006-05-05 11:05

    This is a Walmart supercenter expansion, We removed 700 LF of exterior 12" fully grouted cmu wall.

  106. #106Dozerboy2006-05-05 20:37

    I like that last pic, I bet that wall made quite a thump then you pulled it down.

  107. #107Wolf2006-05-05 21:18

    yeah, that looks like great fun. Total destruction

  108. #108tylermckee2006-06-03 03:31

    Basement dig i just finished, its right on the beach, the back side of the house is right on the 50' setback from the water, where i overdug im not actually suppsed to touch, so dont tell anyone. ~8' deep for a full basement, its gonna be a 3 story house cause they are trying to cram too much house on too little lot, house is only 66'x24'

  109. #109tylermckee2006-06-03 03:35

    where is that damn truck. i had 2 trucks hauling for me, moved over 500 ton of material out of there in about 6 hours.

  110. #110Ford LT-90002006-06-04 01:32

    It looks like its nice and easy digging no big nuggets to try dig out the material looks like its got some clay in it. The lot sure isn't that big I can see why you had to truck away material there is no room. I don't know why people like to be crammed on a small lot it looks like the houses are pretty close to each other. The access road is like the ones we have here you have no room to turn around so you have to back in a mile. Do you have a nice loud horn on that machine so when you honk the horn to tell the truck driver the truck is full it makes the other neighbours in the area pay attention :bouncegri

  111. #111tylermckee2006-06-04 02:04

    yeah that material was all clay, its fill too when they cut that road in 30 years ago they just pushed everything over the bank, i was down 8 feet and still on fill, although only a couple inches. It was nice digging, pretty hard took a lot of scratching to hit grade. its the kind of material that acter a little rain you can hhop in the hole and run and stop and slide about 10 feet. the actual lot is a pretty good size, its just that this is the only buildable area, as we have to stay behind the 50' ordinary highwater set back. this road is a cake walk, should see the road that was cut in to get to our last custom home, 24% grade going down and around a corner, with no turn around at the bottom of course. Yup honk to stop, honk to leave, neighbors here are down in arizona for the winter, and the other house is still in construction so i dint have any audience.

  112. #112Ford LT-90002006-06-04 02:35

    I can imagine we have those nasty driveways here where you have to push trucks back up a driveway because the trucks have no chance of getting back out. What we do here when we are loading trucks is take a full bucket full and swing the machine around and hold the bucket up in the air over the area where you want the truck to be. When the truck is backing under the bucket you drop the load in the box when the truck is in the position you need it the driver is supposed to stop. I was working with a new guy he was driving the truck backing towards me I dropped the bucket full in the box but he kept backing up. I had to get out tell him to move ahead the driver soon learned the system. One job I was working on had the boss driving truck I got the truck loaded and ready to go he was standing over in a corner chin wagging to someone which he would give us **** if we are talking to somebody so I layed on the horn. He sure snapped to it and got back into the truck :laugh

  113. #113tylermckee2006-06-04 02:40

    Yeah i usually hold the bucket up and they know to back under it, our truck driver has enough common sence to stop close enough, but not so far away that i have to boom all the way out, usually that is.

  114. #114Ford LT-90002006-06-04 03:10

    The last little bit of the rambling I didn't like it when the boss was driving because its got to be murphys law I'am loading the truck he is driving I swing over with a full bucket full of mixed dirt and rock and the one rock has to slip out and bounce off the top of the box rail. The job we were working on involved digging fill out of a bank it was hard friggin material the excavator bucket just bounced over the surface. The material had to be clean no rocks so I had to pick out the rocks. I pretty much worked all day no lunch the only break I had was for a few minutes to drain my bladder and back on the machine.

  115. #115nevrenufhp2006-06-04 11:57

    A little shot of the work trux

  116. #116Grader4me2006-06-04 16:45

    What? Isn't that what we all do when operating equipment? Thats why we all stay so skinny:laugh

  117. #117Ford LT-90002006-06-04 18:22

    Its one of the reasons why I left the company I didn't like the fact that everything was go go go. Trying to eat your lunch while working isn't easy a person needs a break. Actually after I quit a year ago I did gain weight now I'am trying to get enough exercise to get back down to atleast 170 from the 195 I'am at now.

  118. #118tylermckee2006-06-04 18:59

    when i went from doing carpentry and running equipment some times, to equipment full time i went from 175 to 200. i'm not fat but i dont have a six pack either :yup

  119. #119GOT HAZ?2006-06-04 19:43

    Black liquer pond mmmmm... Yummy

  120. #120tylermckee2006-06-04 19:44

    what is that nasty looking hole for?

  121. #121GOT HAZ?2006-06-04 19:46

    A few hoes. Same job.

  122. #122GOT HAZ?2006-06-04 19:51

    That is the remnants of a black liquer pond. It is at an old paper mill. The "Black liquer" is a by-product from bleeching wood pulp.

  123. #123GOT HAZ?2006-06-04 19:55

    A few more, same job. Back-filling.

  124. #124Grader4me2006-06-04 20:45

    Yeah, in some places the more you do the more that they expect. After I stopped operating full time my weight went up from 165 to 210...dam it's hard to take it back off. Wow am I ever off topic...:Banghead

  125. #125Nac2006-06-04 20:58

    Basement Excavation Here is 80x40 Basement Excavtion Just did 2 weeks ago we hit a bit of rock (550CY)

  126. #126tylermckee2006-06-04 21:03

    Does that have anything to do with why you were asking what it takes to put a breaker on your 160? :bouncegri

  127. #127jmac2006-06-04 21:23

    wow, alot of rock, how did you remove it?

  128. #128Nac2006-06-04 22:05

    Did not rmove it yet, and yes that why I asked about the breaker I most likely will be drilling and splitting.

  129. #129PSDF3502006-06-04 22:27

    Bit of an understatment. That spot would make a great pond site though with the rock and some type of waterfall. To bad cant move basement elsewhere to add that.

  130. #130tylermckee2006-06-04 22:55

    Your 160 looks too nice for a breaker, it would beat the hell out of it. usually machines with breakers are old POS machines. I would eather rent at least a 200 with a breaker or drill and split. If there you run into a lot of this type of stuff you might look into getting an older cheaper machine with with a breaker.

  131. #131Ford LT-90002006-06-04 23:56

    Depending on how deep you want to go blasting is the most economical way to go if you need any kind of depth. If all you wanted to do was take the heads (I can't say the slang term) off then a rock breaker would be fine. Hitting rock like that is just part of excavating here on the West Coast its why 90% of the houses don't have under ground basements. We would just knock off the high points so you could have a crawl space and build the house.

  132. #132cat3202006-06-05 18:02

    The only problem with blasting so close to houses is that they will have to use small charges and blanket the hell of the rock.

  133. #133Ford LT-90002006-06-05 19:37

    That job is a piece of cake all your going to need to use is half sticks of 75% and pop it in 2-3' lifts so you not thumping the ground too much. The blaster may use Amex or just conventional sticks of dynamite. Using blasting mats is no big deal we have to use them here even with the nearest house well over 1000' away. The blaster sets all the holes NAC uses his 160 to gently lay the mats over the blast pop the blast take the mats off start digging the rock out get it ready for another blast do it again. If I was a home owner in the area I would rather put up with a few thuds and the noise of drilling over a hydraulic hammer banging away for hours on end. One blaster here has a hydraulic drill is runs on a skid steer type chassis it can drill holes fast and its quiet. Its better than the old conventional way with the screaming compressor and drilling holes by hand with a drill. For me blasting is no big deal dad and I used to blast on our property all the time and when I'am working with excavation contractors we are always involved with doing blasting.

  134. #134CascadeScaper2006-06-05 21:31

    I think blasting that out might be your best bet. Using a breaker would take a long while and would beat the hell out of your 160.

  135. #135JimBruce422006-06-07 21:42

    Working like its my job I finally get to add something to this post. Today was my second day (at Myers) on rock truck. We're openning up a new phase of a development including a golf course... Here's a few shots from yesterday and earlier today when we were strippin topsoil.

  136. #136CascadeScaper2006-06-08 01:31

    Ugh! I love Volvo ADT's!

  137. #137Electra_Glide2006-06-08 21:17

    Here's a few projects from the last few weeks. Might be small potatoes for some of you guys, but I'm a one-man band...

  138. #138Dozerboy2006-06-08 22:38

    Looks like a kiddy pool in that last pic, but I guess you found that damn water line.:wink2 J/K

  139. #139Jeff D.2006-06-08 23:02

    As long as it pays the bills,that's all that matters.:yup

  140. #140Ford LT-90002006-06-09 01:06

    No job is too small :bouncegri

  141. #141Electra_Glide2006-06-09 07:49

    Nope...notice the downspout on the corner of the house hanging in mid air. I asked the GC if he was going to do anything about it before it rained, but he said no. Hey, what do I know...I just dig the hole :beatsme .

  142. #142murray832006-06-09 09:26

    how long does it take the 430 to dig an excavation that size?

  143. #143Electra_Glide2006-06-09 13:26

    What you see in the picture took about 10 hours, but like I said, I'm a one-man band (run the excavator, run the skidsteer, run the truck, check the grade, etc.). I started out loading everything into a 1-ton and moving it across the yard just behind where my pickup is sitting, but by the end of the day, I was just throwing it on the ground, and moving it with the skidsteer. Everything was done with a 24" bucket, since the footers needed to be 24" wide (Footers were 6" below the bottom of the hole.) I thought about having them bring a 36" bucket with the machine (it was rented), but given the limited reach of a smaller machine, I would have constantly been switching back and forth. There was another day of digging for the garage pad and footers (pad went in where the machines are sitting in the picture). At the end of the job, I felt the 430 was a little too small. Next time around, I think I'll step up to a 5-ton machine (435). I had estimated this job at 1 1/2 days total (including a 15 x 15 patio tear-out), and it took me 3 days, plus one day lost to rain. Don't know if it was because the machine was too small, or I'm not a very efficient operator :beatsme. Needless to say, it was not a very profitable venture...:crying. Take care... Joe

  144. #144norrodbh2006-06-09 14:43

    Yeah, with the rain we've been getting, everything looks like a swiming hole !

  145. #145Ford LT-90002006-06-09 15:05

    Thats the trouble bidding jobs most excavation contractors here don't bid jobs because there is too many variables and unknowns. They usually give the homeowner a ball park idea but nothing is commited if they don't like it tough cookies find somebody else. Rain delays are a pain we usually only get stopped if the site is turning to a mud pit otherwise its work through the rain. Being a one man band can be a pain in the azz you prolly should have had a helper with experience to run the skid and be a grade checker. That does take time for you to get out check the grades etc. Having a rented machine is a thing that really hurts because if its not working you still have to pay the rental. It was prolly a learning experience the next job will make you more money :yup

  146. #146murray832006-06-09 17:13

    10 hours to do an excavation of that size by yourself with a mini? you did well in my books

  147. #147Orchard Ex2006-06-09 20:17

    A lot of times if it rained a lot (and the hour meter matches my "too much rain" story) my rental place will give me at least a partial credit, sometimes a full credit. However - My bank never sees it the same way on the equipment that I "own"... If it's not working I still have to "tote that note".

  148. #148Ford LT-90002006-06-09 20:40

    It is similar to here the rental shop only rents 6000lb mini's but if they are not needed by another customer they won't push you to get the machine back. They go by the hour meter for rental fees.

  149. #149Dozerboy2006-06-09 22:25

    YA the one man band thing don't fly. I get stuck doing that all of the time at work and they wonder why I can't get my average 120 trucks out in a day when I have to check grade its more like 70 and I always have the trucks lined up.

  150. #150Bob Horrell2006-06-09 23:55

    You would have been a lot better off using a 36 inch bucket for all but the footer. The 430 will handle the 36 with ease and it would have taken about 50% off your time. I have really liked the 430 whenever I have used one and found them to move a lot of dirt for their size.

  151. #151tylermckee2006-06-09 23:59

    Trying to be a one man show when youre laying pipe doesnt work either last few days ive been laying sewer and storm and for a good portion its been just me, with only one guy it seems like you work your ass off and dont get anything done. waste all your time hoping in and out of equipment to go lay another length of pipe, check your grade, bed the pipe, and trying to set your catch basins is fun too

  152. #152Ford LT-90002006-06-10 00:40

    The worst part of getting in and out of the machine you end up rushing and hurting yourself. Usually happens when you got some mud or clay on the sole of your boot so its slippery and your foot slips off the track you bang your shin or pull your fingers off because your grabbing for the cab handle. When I was running rubber tired hoe I don't know how many times my foot slipped off the step. The other thing that usually happens is you step on the edge of the trench and it caves in a bunch of dirt :cussing One job I was on I was the viberatory roller operator and grade stick man the site was so soft and clay mud you get off the machine to go check grades you sink up to your ankles. I have been trench money quite abit and you got the guy on the excavator screaming at you "Lets Go" and "Get Moving" .

  153. #153tylermckee2006-06-10 03:30

    our excavators both have blades on then so it makes for a nice step if you drop the blade when you get out. I always seem to get working and i dont notice till i see blood smeared on something. just yesterday i was taping some 8" pvc sewer pipe together with an 8lb sledge and the damn bell chipped and a piece flew off and hit me in the forehead. I didnt think anything of it, it just stung a little, untill the guy next door was like dude your heads bleeding are you alright. i had blood running all down my face and neck, I was working right by a busy street people must have thought i had lost my mind.

  154. #154Squizzy246B2006-06-10 09:24

    Ok, these are more for the view than the work but I thought I'd show you what I had to put up with this morning:

  155. #155digger242j2006-06-10 09:46

    How are you able to cope with such harsh conditions??

  156. #156Squizzy246B2006-06-10 09:59

    Its a dirty job but.......

  157. #157Squizzy246B2006-06-10 10:18

    Before & After Here is the before and after pics of a commercial wall we recently completed:

  158. #158dayexco2006-06-10 10:34

    pushing sewer pipe together with a sledge hammer? a bar and a block of wood would have been a much better choice of tools.

  159. #159digger242j2006-06-10 11:25

    Or at the very least use a piece of wood between the hammer and the pipe. (It won't be any more effective at getting the pipe together, but it'll keep you from taking PVC shrapnel...)

  160. #160tylermckee2006-06-10 14:05

    I usually grab a 2x4 but i was in a hurry so i didnt. Ive done it with just the sledge turned sidways plenty of times before and never had a problem. Its not like im beating it to death here, if it takes more than a few gentle taps to get it together something is wrong.

  161. #161drystack2006-06-13 19:18

    Squizzy In the pic with the view, are you guys prepping a lawn or backfilling a wall? That is some awfully sandy stuff for a lawn..........

  162. #162Dozerboy2006-06-13 21:18

    Grass grows good in sand that is what golf courses have under the sod. I think sand is just about all Aussies have just like us beach bums.

  163. #163tylermckee2006-06-13 21:20

    Yup, i wish we had more sand around here. beats the hell out of dirt and clay.

  164. #164CascadeScaper2006-06-13 21:36

    We have a pretty sandy soil profile out here with a caliche about 6-8 feet down and some clay in places. I've hit some heavy rock, but nothing beats the sand for drainage. Plus, sod grows really well in the sand.

  165. #165Squizzy246B2006-06-14 08:08

    Jeez Mate!...thats the Good Stuff...like $45 a cube Yeah, we are prepping for a lawn. West Australians are colloquially know as SandGropers. All we got is sand sand and more sand. Awhile back we were digging out for a pool and hit some clay...we all got out and looked and played with it...we don't see it too often around Perth but where I grew up we had plenty. The red looking stuff is sold as red loam and does well for lawn...no guts but free draining and better than the existing shyte.

  166. #166Squizzy246B2006-06-14 08:35

    Time for a Squizz Quizz This is an easy one...Can anybody tell me what happens when you handle pieces of Hardwood with a skid that a big enough and heavy enough to warrant a decent wheel loader???:crying :crying :crying :crying All in the name of entertaining you guys...sheesh...some days you are better off staying in bed. It started out this morning with the keys locked in the truck and got worse from there.:Banghead :Banghead

  167. #167badranman2006-06-14 09:00
  168. #168Squizzy246B2006-06-14 09:07
  169. #169CascadeScaper2006-06-14 11:14

    Those windows are expensive, my dad cracked the polyglass on the 277B we were demo'ing. $290 for a replacement.

  170. #170Dozerboy2006-06-14 19:38

    Dang, well you should of known you where asking for it when you had to get 3 fat guys to ride around on the back of your machine to keep the rear tires on the ground.

  171. #171puredieselpower2006-06-14 20:29

    somedays are worst than others, but better days will come. #@*! happens, did you get hurt?

  172. #172atgreene2006-06-14 21:13

    A demo from a couple months ago. 30 minutes to destroy and stack, 4 hours to load into 2 cans and clean-up. Frame went to the local snowmobile club to become a couple bridges.

  173. #173PMP2006-06-26 17:53

    Just a Mini with a big Heart.... Small stumping Job.

  174. #174atgreene2006-06-26 18:39

    Welcome Craig! :usa The only difference is my 135 is dirtier.

  175. #175PMP2006-06-26 18:44

    135 Not sure that is the case after last friday. inside and out. :thumbsup

  176. #176Grader4me2006-06-26 19:10

    Should have hauled it to Alberta and sold it for a couple hundred thousand:bouncegri

  177. #177Squizzy246B2006-06-27 07:54

    Two...there was only two fat guys...what do you think I am a real cowboy or something??:Cowboy

  178. #178Squizzy246B2006-06-27 07:56

    Only in my hip pocket...got the new window in last week and it bucketed down here today...ran all day in the rain...cosy and warm:yup

  179. #179norrodbh2006-07-10 15:22

    I decided to take it easy on the Bobcat and rented a JD 450 last week. It was GOOD ....

  180. #180norrodbh2006-07-10 15:28

    How about some before and after ....

  181. #181norrodbh2006-07-10 15:30

    Wait ! There's more ....

  182. #182norrodbh2006-07-10 15:31

    more ...

  183. #183norrodbh2006-07-10 15:32

    OK, maybe one more before & after

  184. #184norrodbh2006-07-10 15:34

    The site is starting to come around. I have to install drainage for the foot of the hill, and cut some diversion trenches up top. Then I'll run a power rake over it all to finish it. For someone killing time, all the photos are here. more photos

  185. #185Nac2006-07-28 19:24

    Here are some pics of the rock removal.

  186. #186Dozerboy2006-07-28 23:16

    What is the attachment on the mini X some kind of rock drill?

  187. #187Ford LT-90002006-07-29 00:16

    That attachment NAC has on his machine is a common tool now for us in rock country the days are almost gone when hand drilling is done. There are contractors with 40 ton excavators with drill attachment on them with the dust vacuum system. The drill on some machine is hydraulic powered instead of air power. One blasting contractor has a drill rig its based on a skid steer but its not a skid steer loader. I don't know the brand name but it drills holes faster than any hand operated air drill ever could. I did quite abit of drilling its not a easy job its hard on the back and it shakes the crap out of you. I bet you that drill NAC has will pay for itself in no time drilling holes for blasting or drilling holes for anchoring or pinning foundations etc.

  188. #188Nac2006-07-29 06:49

    Yes it is a rock drill attachment. here is a pic. Ford LT-9000 the machine you are talking about is called a commando it cost close to 200,000.00 brand new.

  189. #189CascadeScaper2006-07-29 15:09

    You guys sure are blessed with a lot of rock in those parts! Seems like all the pics you post are rock breaking jobs. On that drill, are you running it through a compressor? In one pic, it looks like there's a yellow hose running off the side of the machine?

  190. #190Nac2006-07-29 15:17

    Yes the drifter motor and air flush is off a 300 CFM air compressor. The down pressure and drill position is of the aux. hydraulic lines that go into a control box in the cab.

  191. #191CascadeScaper2006-07-29 16:41

    Pretty sweet setup.

  192. #192Dwan Hall2006-07-29 18:40

    Hil slide area Here is what I have been working on. Could use Squizzy's help on this one. The hill was cut into when the gerage was built about 12 years ago. The owner removed 1 rock about 2' in dia. at the base to get a wheel barrow by and started the mess. The next rain the hill side gave way as you can see in the first picture. He called me and like a fool I accepted the chalange. These 3 pictures take you 2/3 the way through the project. I refuse to work on the job when it is raining or for atleast 4 dayes after it stops. Here that is like non existant this year. I have about 40 hours into the project so far. And Yes that is gray clay under the topsoil. Very hard untill wet then it flows by itself. There is going to be another layer of block back 6' from the lower ones which are 1' high each or a 4' high wall. Blocks are 2' wide 2' deep and 1' high, and weigh 560 lb each. 2" shot rock is compacted behind the wall with 4" drain tile at the bottom. Total when compleated will be just under 100 blocks in the 2 walls.

  193. #193cat3202006-07-29 18:42

    so what are you putting into the drill holes bentimite? (spelling) or do you drill them then call the blaster to set of explosive?

  194. #194Squizzy246B2006-07-29 19:33

    Hey Dwan, that looks like a bloody good job you are doing there in those conditions...but be careful about developing a reputation for doing the difficult jobs that nobody else wants to touch You end up with one leg longer than the other from standing on the side of steep hills all day:yup

  195. #195Nac2006-07-29 21:44

    On this job I am mostly using a Darda Hydraulic splitter. But also used some Damite (expansive grout)

  196. #196CascadeScaper2006-07-29 23:17

    So with the Damite do you use the drill and just pour that stuff in the hole and watch it work?

  197. #197Squizzy246B2006-07-29 23:23

    We tend to use Dynamite:bouncegri back in my Navy days we called this expanding bait

  198. #198Dwan Hall2006-07-30 04:42

    Expanding bait = hand gernade

  199. #199Nac2006-07-30 08:24

    No with Damite after drilling the holes you blow them out and mix the Damite and by the next morning it schould be alll fractured. It is a great product but it takes time.

  200. #200cat3202006-07-30 09:43

    there is no limit to what kind of rock it will blow apart? it sounds like next to the best thing if your in a congested area.

  201. #201atgreene2006-07-30 10:09

    Is damite readily available? How deep do you have to drill and how big are the holes? Sounds like neat stuff.

  202. #202Nac2006-07-30 11:09

    I drill 1 3/4" holes because that what size I use for the splitter. there is a minum of 20" you have to drill if i remember correctly. But you need a free face for this stuf to work

  203. #203Ford LT-90002006-07-30 23:43

    For what NAC is doing would be a pain in the butt with dynamite because you would need blasting mats block off the area pop the holes and keep repeating the process. I really don't think the neighbours would like the dishes ratting the horn blasts warning of the blast.

  204. #204CascadeScaper2006-07-31 02:12

    Yeah, we aren't blessed with wide open expanses like you guys have up in BC to just blast until our hearts content, you guys got it easy! :thumbsup

  205. #205Ford LT-90002006-07-31 21:50

    When ever blasting is done in the residential areas we need to use blasting mats which are constructed out of tires that are cut into strips and bolted together. Its to keep the blast contained you blast without them you will have rock bullets flying everywhere they can hurt somebody or hit someones house. With NAC's situation he would probably have to warn every neighbour in the area. Depending on the rules in the area he may have to set up instruments that measure ground movements. You would have to inspect the neighbours basements on either side of the site and take pictures to prove that if any cracks found were there before the blasting. It may take longer with the expanding grout but it saves on headaches it also saves on complaints :laugh There is two options for blasting which is sticks of dynamite and no you don't light a wick or Amex which is fertilizer and diesel fuel.

  206. #206Nac2006-08-05 17:52

    Here are some more job pics and a pic of a Socemec 4,000 lb hammer I just put on the machine.

  207. #207Squizzy246B2006-08-05 18:03

    Ooooooo...I like the greaser:thumbsup

  208. #208tylermckee2006-08-05 19:31

    Nac, I'm assuming the 330 deere is a rented unit, and you put a hammer on your 160? Have you finished that basement dig with the rock or are you still breaking away?

  209. #209atgreene2006-08-05 20:53

    Where do you get a similar auto lube set-up? I've seen the big complicated ones, but a small set-up such as that would be ideal.

  210. #210Nac2006-08-06 09:48

    Yes I put the hammer on my 160 hammer rentals add up really fast just not cost effective for me to rent a machine with a hammer. I allready have two other rock jobs lined up. The greaser is by Lincoln it runs off of the hydraulic circut so every time you hammer it greases.

  211. #211Electra_Glide2006-08-21 21:47

    Here's a little job from last week. Didn't think to get any pics of the machine while it was under either of the roofs...

  212. #212Dwan Hall2006-08-22 02:17

    Got a call last week. Broken 3/4" waterline under slab. Turned out to be a 3/4" type "N" copper line with a bad joint plus a hole wore through the side. I dug up the sidwalk around the front of the building and down the side to install a new type "K" line to meet code. Close quarters ment I had to use a mini. and my 3 yd. hooklift. And yes I did this one in the rain. hard rain the day we poored the sidewalk. Job went smooth and customer is very happy and broke now. LOL This job was in the center of a busines area and had a lot of people watching. Main area was under a restrant window ware they set and watched us during there lunch. 3 to 4 feet away. I got 3 calls for more work because of it so far.

  213. #213CascadeScaper2006-08-22 04:07

    Those are the best, working public. A tad dangerous sometimes, but we had a couple calls last year after working downtown on a sidewalk with our mini and dump trailer. It was a little tricky at times, but definately worth it just for the extra business.

  214. #214jazak2006-08-22 20:35

    Ditto that^^^^^^^:thumbsup

  215. #215dayexco2006-08-22 21:01

    that's all the deeper the water lines are in juneau?

  216. #216Dwan Hall2006-08-22 22:13

    use to be 4' but someone thought they would freeze so the city now makes us put them down 5' most city mains are down 6'. Frost line uasualy never sees 32"

  217. #217Ford LT-90002006-08-23 00:14

    Working on water mains or pipes are a pain in the azz especially when you have to shut the water off to the street or area. Working in a place like that where you end up with a peanut gallery watching you work is another pain in the azz. Dwan how do you like your hook lift truck I'am really considering one I thought about building a conventional rolloff on a F-450 or F-550. A conventional rolloff I can build myself but the problem with a conventional rolloff they don't dump gravel very well. I know where I can buy a 2006 F-550 4x4 with a Hiab multilift for 65000 dollars the truck only has 9000kms on it. From the pictures the mulitlift looks a little cheaply constructed. The truck is at a Hino dealership I have a feeling the truck maybe wasn't up to par and the guy traded it in on a new Hino. In the dealer's advertisement there was a 2006 Hino 3 ton with a hooklift on it now its sold. The hino dealer wants 65,000 for the F-550 a little too pricey for my operation. There is no boxes with the truck so a person has to buy boxes the Hiab Mulitlift isn't a popular hoist.

  218. #218Dwan Hall2006-08-23 12:09

    Mine are Stellar Shuttle brand. http://www.stellarindustries.com/ Got the one you see in the picture back in 1992 and had it custom made to fit the short truck (137" wb) F350 4x4 IDI. which also caries a plow in the winter. total cost for truck, plow, shuttle, and 1 flatbed was aprox $35,000. I liked it so well I got another one in 1995 set up the same waay except this one I mounted myseld because I did not care for the way the upfiter does there work. The 95 4x4 DI set up the same way minious the flatbed cost $42,000. Both have belt driven hydrolics. Both can load 5,000 from the ground up and both dump at over 53 degrees. I do feel the frames on the lift units are made of to thin of material and could be improved on. I would not be without one after having them. They are not cheap but have paid for themself every year sence I got them. If I did not need the plow I would have one mounted on a ISUZU NPR HD. I do overload the truck a lot more then I would like and my next one will probably be on a F550 unless Isuzu coms out with a 4x4 w/automatic. rool off beds are easy to make. I have 2 flat beds, 1ea. 2 yd dump bed, 2ea. 2 yd sanders 1 ea. 500 gal hydroseeded and a real bed for CATV cable. Planed are a 2yd cement mixer, another dump bed for rock, a 8' box van, and a 185 cfm aircompreasure. I am also planing a trailer with a compatable shuttle system on it w/electric over hydrolic. As I work mostly alone and do my fabrecation between jobs these may take a while or may never get done but I keep pluging away. I would not rull out the convitional roll off unit as there is one here in town that dumps just fine on a 1.5 ton cabover truck.

  219. #219Squizzy246B2006-08-23 17:48

    The Isuzu AMT is brilliant once you get used to it. All our salesman are at a loss as to why Isuzu don't do the AMT on the 4x4. I think the last small 4x4 automatic truck we could buy here was the Mercedes.

  220. #220jazak2006-08-23 19:37

    Post some pics I would love to see it all.:thumbsup

  221. #221Ford LT-90002006-08-24 00:03

    I can build a conventional rail hoist or something similar to the Switch and Go for 5000 dollars at the most. The Switch and Go costs 8000 dollars US but I can build something cheaper than that. I have run tandem axle rolloff trucks with conventional rails but I always wanted to build a 1.5 or 2 ton rolloff truck. Only one guy in the area has a mini bin truck its a hooklift he doesn't have the best attitude. Been in the junk business for a long time but a truck that can put a box on the ground makes it so much easier to load. Also the options of having flatdeck and dump boxes is appealing.

  222. #222Dwan Hall2006-08-24 02:37

    Here is the dump box, flatbed, hydroseeder, and sander

  223. #223Dwan Hall2006-08-24 02:42

    sander and another flatbed

  224. #224jazak2006-08-24 10:00

    Thats cool. Sure you don't overload those trucks sometimes?!? :laugh I think you could use that F-550 sooner then later:thumbsup :bouncegri

  225. #225Ford LT-90002006-08-25 00:56

    That last picture with the F-350 with the 325 in the box looks a little scary. I would hate to tilt the box up and put it on the ground with the machine in it the front wheels must lift off the ground a little bit I agree with Jazak its time for a heavier truck alot of guys around here won't use F-350s anymore because they are always overloaded. Lack of braking power is the biggest problem the older F-350s with drum brakes can't stop very well.

  226. #226Dwan Hall2006-08-25 05:51

    That wasn't a "little" scary, it made my bu** pucker when I off loaded it. wheels did get light but never left the ground. only did it to see if I could. That is 1 thing about the hook lift. it will load more then the truck should cary. As you can see I do work my trucks hard at times. That truck is 14 years old now and time to replace it anyway. The hooklift does add a little under 1000 lb to the truck so you do loose that in the net load. I am sure we have all overloaded a truck a time or two, I just happen to be the 1 dumb enough to post pictures of it.

  227. #227Ford LT-90002006-08-25 22:25

    I have hauled lots of loads that were not legal be it over weight, over length or over width. Mainly over weight and over length hauling lumber and beams upto 24' long hauled on a 12' flatdeck layed flat on the deck with 12' of overhang. I'am having troubles finding a used hooklift I'am not sure if I want to spend the 20 grand for a new hooklift hoist.

  228. #228Dozerboy2006-08-25 23:07

    I would stay far away from the Furd 6.0 Powerchokes there nothing but trouble.

  229. #229Ford LT-90002006-08-26 01:43

    I wouldn't touch a 6.0 truck with a 10' pole its why I'am looking so hard for a 99-02 with PSD power but nobody is selling anything good because the 6.0 is a unreliable engine.

  230. #230jazak2006-08-26 11:04

    You guys bash the 6.0 so much!!:bash :bash :nono My buddy has a 04 F-550 6.0L NO problems, there are many other guys I know who have 04-06 F-350s-F-550s with the 6.0L with zero problems. I don't understand why you bash it sooo much. True there are some problems but out of all the ones I've driven and my buddies have zero problems. They actually have MORE power then the 7.3Ls.

  231. #231Ford LT-90002006-08-26 21:02

    The 6.0 has more power but alot of them spend alot of time at the dealer. Then the dealer doesn't know how to fix the damn thing when you take it there. The other problem is the 6.0 is a pig on fuel I know of guys only getting 10mpg with F-450s. I have been looking for a F-450 or F-550 I see lots of 03 and early 04s forsale with low kilometers on them and a cheaper price because they are lemons. People are taking a loss and trading them in to get way from them. I'am going to either stick with a proven 7.3 or go with a V-10 the extra 7000 dollars for a diesel and it isn't reliable forget it.

  232. #232PSDF3502006-08-26 21:19

    I know some have had problems with the 6.0l Steve for one. But I have an 04 that that has been a great truck. I think the real problems are the tranny and not the motor.

  233. #233Steve Frazier2006-08-26 21:30

    My trucks are 7.3, but Fred just had his 6.0 blow up a day or so ago. That's the second one that's blown on him.

  234. #234PSDF3502006-08-26 21:38

    Steve I thought you were having problems with a 6.0l:Banghead Must have just been the bad dealer and I got confused. Wouldn't be the first or last time.

  235. #235CascadeScaper2006-08-26 23:51

    I refuse to ever buy a 6.0. Parts willing, we're going to rebuild our 7.3's when the time comes. I have a buddy that's graduating from UTI as a certified auto and diesel technician and he'll probably do the work for me.

  236. #236Ford LT-90002006-08-27 00:12

    Any of the newer trucks are going to be too freaking expensive to fix the diesel P/Us will never ever pay for themselves in fuel mileage savings. A person will buy a diesel P/U because they want a diesel.

  237. #237Nac2006-08-31 18:04

    Here are some pics from a job I am on now in NYC the contractor hit rock putting in 12" water mains.

  238. #238Ford LT-90002006-08-31 18:38

    Find any dead bodies burried in ground :bouncegri Your new service truck looks good but you need to add some shiny stuff to it :thumbsup Any time utility work like pipes etc is done here a blaster is on speed dial because you never know what you will find.

  239. #239Nac2006-08-31 19:07

    The truck is work in progress need to add air compressor, generator ans some cromw wheel covers. On this job they are not allowed to blast or even use a hammer they are working under an elevated train and the MTA will not let them. Wait until they start the sewer main. A 30" sewer main over a mile long 7' wide x 15' deep (max.) trench under the center of the elvated train. If i get the job I will be busy for several months.

  240. #240Steve Frazier2006-08-31 23:41

    How will you remove the rock?

  241. #241Dozerboy2006-09-01 00:39

    Chipping hammer???:Cowboy :bouncegri

  242. #242Ford LT-90002006-09-01 01:57

    He must be using that expanding stuff that he meantioned doing that basement dig. Hopefully you don't have the pressures of completing the job and get fines for delays. Its amazing how city engineers want you to perform miracles doing jobs the hard way. I imagine there is miles and miles of water and sewer lines that need replacing in New York city.

  243. #243cat3202006-09-01 08:43

    I have never used that expanding stuff but from what i see in the trench is where will the rock expand to?? the only place is up? not like that open site where you drilled filled and the rock when side ways.

  244. #244Nac2006-09-01 16:22

    Well i am working by the day drilling and using a hydraulic splitter. That what I told the prime contractor I can crack the rock no problem but you still need a hammer to hammer the cracks and free the rock. Right now I am also using my 900 LB hammer we are using it until we get stoped or get approvalls to use it. You are right when doing mass excavtion the rock has some where to go when doing trench work it is a lot more dificult.

  245. #245Orchard Ex2006-09-03 21:47

    Something completely different Here's something you don't see too often: When the Navy built the base here they knocked down and covered all the headstones in the graveyard. A relative of mine has been resetting them (with the Navy's permission) and I helped him with some that were too big for him to move by block and tackle. Headstone itself was about a ton. Graves date from about pre-Revolutionary war through late 30's I think. Bringing up the base: Lifting the stone back in place Finished

  246. #246Steve Frazier2006-09-04 01:22

    What an honorable thing to do!! I'm surprised no one made a stink when the Navy did that, in NY the job would be shut down in a heartbeat.

  247. #247Ford LT-90002006-09-04 01:37

    I agree that was disgracefull burying the head stones Those people served the country they should be recognized. It must be a little creepy working in a grave yard alteast the Kubota isn't heavy enough to fall into any of the graves In B.C. the war vets have their own license plates now for their vehicals to honor the people that served in war.

  248. #248digger242j2006-09-04 07:02

    It might've been done in the WWII era. Different rules than today, no doubt... A while back, I posted this link in the hysterical preservation thread: http://www.post-gazette.com/lifestyl...ry1028fnp2.asp

  249. #249CT18fireman2006-09-04 09:40

    Yeah, think about all the projects done over the years by the government and private sector that had enviromental impacts. Half the roads we drive on today have impacted wetlands etc. Prior to the mid 60's they just did not care as much. Progress was more important to society.

  250. #250Orchard Ex2006-09-04 20:12

    It was done just as WWII was starting. The Navy basically bought a town and surrounding area which had a long established church among the houses/farms etc. Our base is a test center for new aircraft/systems. Supposedly, the Navy test pilots were superstitious and didn't like the idea of driving past a graveyard on their way to work, so the graves were mapped and the headstones laid down and covered. My cousin (pic with the shovel) knew that some of our ancestors are interred there and started a project with the Navy to reset the headstones. First phase was war veterans, then moves along from there. Should take him a few more years at least - all volunteers.

  251. #251MetalDragon_boy2006-09-08 21:00

    Its sad that you dont live over here in Sweden.. there is Volvo ADT's everywhere! LOL

  252. #252atgreene2006-09-08 22:00

    This weeks projects. The previous granite rock wall repair pics from page 6 are in front of this house. They invited me back to do some drainage to the rear. Not the ideal situation, but it's what they wanted. I placed every rock in the ditch by hand. Hauled them up there one bucket at a time with the excavator then placed them individually. What a pita. 2 days into it so far and they keep adding extras. Great folks to work for though, they don't want an estimate just a bill at the end. Had to quit at 8 tonight, ran out of fabric and light. First couple pics are of the swale to redirect water from the rear of the house. Fabric lined rip-rap ditch with erosion control mulch above. One of the clean-up bucket, that thing makes ditching and shaping fun! One of another driveway that I did last year and returned to 2 days ago for a tune-up and freshen the erosion mulch. Held up well considering we've had over 35" of rain this year.

  253. #253Ford LT-90002006-09-08 22:11

    Nice Job Atgreen :thumbsup Thats fussy work trying to get the stone to sit even.

  254. #254Orchard Ex2006-09-08 22:14

    AT - what are you using for the mulch?

  255. #255atgreene2006-09-09 06:31

    It's erosion control mulch, made primarily of stump grindings. The DEP requires it or some other form of erosion control like silt fence. I buy it by the tractor trailer load, 75-100 yards at a time and use it anywhere I have a slope or need silt fence. It's amazing how well it holds up to water, even across paved driveways to stop sheet flow. Beats dealing with silt fence. Here's a link with some info. http://www.kcswcd.org/Fact Sheets/Erosion Control Mulch.htm

  256. #256Orchard Ex2006-09-09 08:56

    Thanks, I haven't seen it used down here but it looks promising. I'll see if MDE will let me use it on a trial basis. I don't like dealing with the silt fence either. :thumbsup

  257. #257atgreene2006-09-19 20:58

    Almost done!

  258. #258Grader4me2006-09-20 05:07

    Wow :thumbsup That is a very nice looking job. A lot of hard work but look at the results!

  259. #259LightningLoader2007-01-15 11:12

    Precious This isn't what we build, but one of the toys that hangs around here. Precious moving in new shear/brake press. Precious moving seacan into grove for pump house. decorated for Christmas. These forum pic size limitations are no fun.

  260. #260Steve Frazier2007-01-15 12:13

    Lightning Loader, our picture limits are 640 x 640 pixels, with a file size of 102400 bytes, pretty generous when compared to some other message boards. The pictures you have posted here are substantially smaller than required by the program. The pictures you posted are GIF images which are very inefficient when it comes to file size. If you convert them to .jpeg or .jpg files, you'll have much less trouble and be able to post larger photos.

  261. #261LightningLoader2007-01-15 12:42

    don't mean to de-rail the thread, but when I uploaded the files they were 99.6 KB because the uploader told me that they had to be under 100, but now they're showing up as a smaller size than I had even made them. I Scrolled back up and saw that other people had bigger images, so sorry to have complained. I'll figure it out eventually.

  262. #262catd8t2007-03-17 09:39

    i had to move the mini with the new pc 200LC-8 i hated this job way too small and usally on big jobs Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

  263. #263Lashlander2007-03-17 12:45
  264. #264catd8t2007-03-17 13:39

    sorry bud here you go it did not work last time

  265. #265Lashlander2007-03-17 14:20

    There you go!:thumbsup Nice pics. It does make me a little nervous to see unlevel picks though. I've seen it turn out really bad a couple times. Sometimes it can't be helped. Welcome to the forum.

  266. #266catd8t2007-03-17 19:00

    yeah it wouldent hurt me much if it fell cause that things a pace of ----.

  267. #267Squizzy246B2007-03-27 08:41

    We got in amongst the rock today. Didn't feel like beating my machine to death so I got my mate Johnny to help out with the breaker. We belted some softish limestone down about 18" to be clear for a poured concrete footing. After this we ran lifts of clean sand back in compacting. I hope to get all set for the concrete tomorrow but I'm having problems getting galvanised rod. The starter bars protrude up into the limestone block wall we will build on top of the footing. Limestone being pourous, if you use plain steel it corrodes, expands and blows the wall out. All the steel suppliers are on two weeks back orders waiting for steel. Apparently someone in china is building something

  268. #268Ford LT-90002007-03-27 13:22

    Rebar steel is in a very very high demand right now. You can see that at the junk yards because they are paying top dollar for scrap cars. Scrap cars that are shredded eventually become rebar. Right now guys are getting 110 dollars a ton for scrap cars tires and all. Scrap yards are so desperate for scrap they are taking junk with tires and wheels still attached. They never used to do that. I never seen galvinized rebar but we have coated rebar its got some kind of paint usually a alpine green colour.

  269. #269erthmover2007-03-27 20:44

    The green rebar is epoxy coated to stop it from rusting. It's usually used on bridge decks and areas that see a lot of salt.

  270. #270Lashlander2007-03-27 21:33

    We use galvanized rebar to manufacture concrete floats for harbor repairs.

  271. #271NateV2007-04-11 20:31

    Some pics of the latest job my dad is working. Cat 941 Lot Piped crick

  272. #272Squizzy246B2007-04-12 09:23

    I received this today: I've been sitting on my backside doin diddly squat Don't have time for Hi-jackery. Some pics of stuff!.....please report all spotted OH&S infringements to .....somebody!...and the stay is locked on the skid loader arms before ya's all start.

  273. #273Squizzy246B2007-04-12 09:26

    Are you bored yet!

  274. #274Lashlander2007-04-12 09:50

    Nice Pics! :thumbsup Dumb questions, The blocks, are they cut out of a quarry or manufactured? They make a nice looking wall. Is this method cheaper than just pouring a wall out of concrete or just prettier?

  275. #275Squizzy246B2007-04-12 10:11

    No Dumb questions...this is HEF...see signature Quarry cut limestone blocks....these ones where terriffic, very heavy and good quality...cept being heavy they drop as they are cut in the quarry and we had a lot of chipped corners.....client very happy, architect complaining. I have to talk metric but the poured footing and small up stand was 25 Mpa conc...because we didn't have the space to get the mass (backing blocks) in straight limestone. The engineer designed this cockameamy arrangement which, IMHO, is pushing the limits for retaining. Natural limestone only rates between 4 and 8 Mpa...but is often stronger. We do mostly reconstituted limestone and that rates about 16 Mpa. Mass retaining walls are popular here because of the look that "can" be acheived and because limestone is in abundance. This wall in concrete worked out at about $13K for the conc and about $4K for cut limestone cladding to give it the same look as the rest of the walls on the property. I did the whole lot like this for about $10K...all Aussie Dinero I'm talking. It looks much better after a pressure clean, good drying time and a couple of coats of acrylic sealer binder. We are about to start a much biggera one which I will post some...as soon as my poor little skid and excavator shift about 900 cubic metres of sand which should have been shifted by the earthmoving contractor with his loader but wasn't....and he beat me on the earthmoving quote by $2K....which is the reason for the ...and the .....and the. ...and I'm a gunna:bash this computer cause I'm a bit pee'd off Where's my pills:Banghead

  276. #276Jeff D.2007-04-12 12:18

    musta been countryboy!!:wink2 If you'de send me this "contractors" address I could fire him off a strongly worded letter regarding our unhappiness with him forcing you too choose between HEF and moving his buttload of sand around with only your skid-steer. Seriously, Glad too hear you're staying busy! Work looks good too me, as if I know anything about "walls".:beatsme Take Care.

  277. #277Grader4me2007-04-12 18:38

    In your fifth picture I actually leaned over to the right of my computer to see how straight your wall was I have got to get a life :spaz Nice looking job Squizzy.

  278. #278badranman2007-04-12 19:12

    What kind of laser level you using there Squizzy? Looks an awful lot like my David White.

  279. #279nedly052007-04-12 19:23

    Nice lookin' job there squizz. Good pics!!:thumbsup

  280. #280Countryboy2007-04-12 21:45

    :cool2 Thats Countryboy with a capital "C".....

  281. #281Electra_Glide2007-04-13 08:27

    Squizzy, Is that a license plate on your skidsteer? Joe

  282. #28206bowtie_guy2007-04-13 17:53

    I just noticed the same thing. Looks like a plate.

  283. #283Squizzy246B2007-04-13 17:58

    LMAO, the wall has a 1:75 back slope but other than that its pretty straight. Yes thats a David White...about 3 years old, just had a service. The receiver that came with it was rubbish so we got a better quality weather resistant one. Yes it is Joe, its a restricted road license, allows us to operate between "the signs" or cones for loading out. Its not strictly legal for us to drive a skid along the roads for any distance...and the insurance works accordingly. I imagine we could road register a skid here if it had indicators and brake lights of some kind.. Well spotted.

  284. #284rino14942007-04-13 19:52

    After reading this post, I scrolled back up and did the same thing :lmao

  285. #285CM19952007-04-13 21:38

    Squizzy- Where are your rebar safety caps on those dowels in that footing?:nono.

  286. #286Countryboy2007-04-13 21:42

    :laugh I knew there was something to nit pick in them pictures. I just couldn't find it. :cool2

  287. #287CM19952007-04-13 21:45

    I couldn't help myself! You never know where the safety police will show up.:bash

  288. #288Squizzy246B2007-04-14 21:20

    We took them off so we could lay blocks between them but it was also so we could turn the architect into a Shishkebab There is a demo going on just up the road;

  289. #289Squizzy246B2007-04-14 21:29

    And the wall is finito, signed sealed and delivered....where's me Cheque??? ointhead

  290. #290wrenchbender2007-04-14 21:45

    It's in the Mail I tell ya! Nice wall there Squizzy.

  291. #291cat3202007-04-30 09:29

    putting in a sewer line in pompano beach florida

  292. #292coopers2007-05-01 02:44

    A GREEN LINK BELT?!!! I used to work for Sunbelt Rentals and I DON'T remember them ever purchasing Link Belt excavators (Sunbelt equipment is green)? That's not a rental is it? Blake WA

  293. #293cat3202007-05-01 07:58

    you are correct that is a sunbelt machine.

  294. #294coopers2007-05-01 15:55

    Interesting.

  295. #295coopers2007-12-30 03:57

    Not the best quality photo. Blake WA

  296. #296dirtslinger2008-01-01 15:32

    storage facility expansion project. I have quite a few more, but lost my camera in the hustle and bustle of the holidaze

  297. #297JS580SL2008-01-03 21:06

    How can I upload pics on here?

  298. #298Countryboy2008-01-03 21:08

    Check out the second red link in my signature for help with pictures and resizing.

  299. #299JS580SL2008-01-03 21:38

    thank you sir.

  300. #300coopers2008-01-04 19:52

    Another....little blurry since I took it from inside my truck and it was rainy out. My boss was backfilling and grading a foundation. Blake WA

  301. #301mack6882008-01-05 18:11

    Well i finally took some digital pictures of my setup, there not at the job but i was headed to one.

  302. #302sbrem2008-01-05 20:47

    Nice Mack:thumbsup :thumbsup . What engine,trans,etc.. does it have?

  303. #303nedly052008-01-06 08:35

    X2!!!

  304. #304mack6882008-01-06 09:20

    Thanks its a 1987 with an E6 350hp, and a t2090 9spd trans, the transmission needs some work, but i run it about everyday.

  305. #305bobcat ron2008-01-06 11:37

    Those old Macks are legendary.

  306. #306dieseldave2008-01-06 13:38

    D6R and PC220 moving sand at a dredge spoils site

  307. #307dieseldave2008-01-06 13:45

    the contractor thought the D6 was too expen$ive, so later in the job we switched to a D65 the last pic is of our mobilization area

  308. #308bobcat ron2008-01-06 14:06

    How wide is that D-6 at it's widest point?

  309. #309dieseldave2008-01-06 14:37

    Don't know, never took a tape measure to it, but they took the blade off to move it. Everything else came in and out with the blades in place.

  310. #310DirtHauler2008-01-06 15:09

    Legendary for torture of the driver. I am a bit bias since I am 6'7" tall and those make still make my right knee hurt, and my right thigh. (corner on heater control, and deep reduction shifter that is too close to the seat.)

  311. #311nedly052008-01-06 15:50

    What is the most comfortable truck for a person your size??

  312. #312mack6882008-01-06 17:50

    You are right dirthauler its not much for comfort, and i do hurt at the end of the day sometimes from being tossed around all day. However it will get up and go, no matter how big the load.

  313. #313DirtHauler2008-01-06 18:19

    A well optioned one. This is a tough one since I still have not found one that fits in all the right places. I am in a Peterbilt with manual windows and a non-tilt-tele wheel atm and this truck would be much better if there were no window cranks to hit my left knee on (need power windows) if the wheel would move away from me, and if the seat did not bang against the back of the cab constantly. The Cup holder was by far the best improvement to the cab of Kenworths and Peterbilts since the dashboard redesign to the right of the wheel. Peterbilt still puts half the gauges and the idiot light cluster so that you can not see it through the steering wheel. The dam storage on the bottom of the inside of the drivers door is very annoying as well, it hits your thigh and there is no need for this pouch to be rigid, soft pouch is much more reasonable. The new MACK granite cab is wider than the old ones and that is a nice improvement. The heater controls are still too close to the right leg of the driver, I still hit my knee on the bottom of the turn signal lever when I go to put my foot on the clutch (I have this problem in almost all trucks) so if I have my left signal on and I go to push in the clutch, I hit the bottom of the turn signal lever and end up turing on the high beam headlights... this can really upset people off in front of you since they think you are flashing them to hurry or something. I am not done but I have to do something so I will finish it with an edit later. :Banghead

  314. #314dumptrucker2008-01-06 18:46

    I have the same problem in all trucks. The best truck for leg room I have driven is a KW W-900. Lot's of room for a 6' 5" person or bigger.

  315. #315Foster2008-01-06 19:30

    A few pics of my Menzi A71 working around the house.

  316. #316Dirtman20072008-01-06 20:37

    here are a few pics of some jobs done last year.

  317. #317Dirtman20072008-01-06 20:48

    and some more

  318. #318loader950G2008-01-08 22:33

    Some pics of my current job and of my new baby, when i got the new 9 it had 14.2 hours and the computer said 12 hours of that were idle time. The third pic is of a 651b and a d10n that got stuck in the mud while cutting out a channel. The fourth is another 651 stuck in a different channel.

  319. #319loader950G2008-01-08 22:36

    Some more pics of the 10's pushing a 651

  320. #320coopers2008-01-12 05:29

    Another.... Blake WA

  321. #321Ross2008-01-12 13:32

    Few Pic's from Work. Iam having trouble with Managing the photo's. I.E Adding Text between the pic's? :beatsme Ross

  322. #322Ross2008-01-12 13:44

    More pic's :drinkup This time the smaller equipment on site. Ross

  323. #323Countryboy2008-01-13 19:25

    I think you need to add another step when posting pictures to add the text between them. After you finish uploading your pictures, click on the attachment button again (paperclip button) and a drop down menu will come up showing the attachments uploaded for that post. Click the "Insert All" button at the bottom of that menu. It will add something like this in the post; below is an example: View attachment 11111

  324. #324hottimedancer2008-06-05 21:33

    Hi Foster Hi Foster Thank You for the Reply. I know I am being inpolite buy asking you this, But if you decide to stay on the Road and you want to sell or rent your machine. I would be very intrested in Buying it from you. I do live in Idaho. In the Moutains. Of what I can see it is in great shape. My Business Phone number is 208-309-2525. Or my email is [email protected] or Just leave a message. I sorry for my great spelling. I wish you the Best in Life. Sincerly winn weaver