Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Work pics from Europe

JRK · 2026-08-22 14:30

Cause most pictures are in some kind forklift related in the forklift section. Some weeks ago I bought a cylindrical grinding machine in southwest Germany. Here are some pictures of the dismantling load and unload Going up backwards the only way to go.

Replies93
  1. #1JRK2026-08-22 14:32

    Quite narrow site in a residential area

  2. #2JRK2026-08-22 14:34

    Unload in my yard The hyster inside the building was a rental machine , this one is mine

  3. #3Coaldust2026-08-22 15:28

    How’s that landscape brick hold up with the lift truck on it?

  4. #4JRK2026-08-22 15:34

    In the last picture ? The brick is 120mm thick. No real issues even with bigger forklifts. it gets a little bit ripply but nothing more. I hope this is the right word. I'm always struggling with adjectives.

  5. #5JRK2026-08-22 15:35

    Underground is sand in my case but works

  6. #6JRK2026-08-22 15:46

    Bigger stuff in the same yard

  7. #7Mr. Wrench2026-08-22 17:44

    I wondered the same. It seems like that kind of weight on bricks as we know then would be all broken up. I enjoy seeing the pictures of your equipment!

  8. #8JRK2026-08-23 02:59

    Special equipment for narrow spaces. Unfortunately not my forklift. I just traded the press. Machine is 17.5ton . Capacity of the forklift is 30ton

  9. #9YT13002026-08-23 06:24

    I have to say an electric forklift with the same kind of slide-back weight that a big road construction crane would have is interesting new thing to me. I wonder if thats purely 100% battery weight in that box there?

  10. #10DDoug2026-08-23 08:29

    I call that "Pre-Cracked Concrete" and I think It's a good idea. Repairs can be made in small area's if needed. Much like the old wood block floors in factories. No rebar, so no span strength to it, so YMMV in your situation.

  11. #11JRK2026-08-23 09:28

    the black box is the li-Ion battery, yes. sure it does not have the same power as a diesel but the guy who owns it works most of the time for some Mercedes Benz plant in our Area and for emissions reasons he has no choice but to use an electric. he mainly move heavy material, I think a rigger would be the correct term. so he can live with the relatively small battery capacity. for a normal use in a big logistics company or a port it is too slow and too less battery capacity. but unfortunately we are on the way to net zero. not the best times TBH moveable counterweights are also common in the US with Versalift forklifts. but also a brand mainly used by riggers.

  12. #12JRK2026-08-23 09:31

    you are right you can do smaller repairs . what means YMMV ?

  13. #13YT13002026-08-23 10:07

    Your Mileage May Vary, another way to say that one's experience may be different from another's experience.

  14. #14JRK2026-08-23 10:10

    thanks, yes that's correct. I think it is mainly a question of size here. the yard is that small you can't really accelerate. in a big yard there could be a problem when engaging the brakes at full speed

  15. #15materthegreater2026-08-23 12:38

    The real question is how does he keep weeds from growing between the bricks?

  16. #16JRK2026-08-23 14:13

    There is not much to grow , not much green around and my area is hot in the summer. Rain is almost nonexistent in the rhine valley.

  17. #17Coaldust2026-08-23 15:59

    In Western Alaska, once you get away from the coast and up into the YK Delta, concrete and crushed rock is unobtainable, unless it’s a government project and money is no issue. Some of the large airplane hangers use that brick for the floors. It works pretty well.

  18. #18DDoug2026-08-23 17:40

    The stuff I have seen are made with a tiny bit of draft angle, so the joints are widest at the top. There is a special resin sand broomed on the surface to fill in those cracks and seal things up.

  19. #19skyking12026-08-23 23:28

    thanks for posting some different stuff. I have done some inside work with 5K hysters and can appreciate it. Mostly elevator crates for those technicians.

  20. #20JRK2026-08-24 09:29

    That's correct

  21. #21JRK2026-08-24 09:32

    Last week in the French Alps. Not quite work but interesting Grove RT 30 with Deutz engine. Looks like original, I've never heard of a grove with Deutz engine

  22. #22JRK2026-08-24 09:33

    Produced in Sunderland UK in 1991

  23. #23skyking12026-08-24 17:10

    we had a couple of pumps with that engine in 1990 at the Dam Job.

  24. #24John C.2026-08-24 17:19

    That engine is one of the cleaner ones I've seen on a crane.

  25. #25JRK2026-08-25 03:39

    It's owned by a French city, i think it did not too much work for the age. A few leaks but rest looks ok

  26. #26JRK2026-08-29 02:54

    Quite the opposite of heavy, just 230kg A formtester to check and measure the surface of machined parts. I bought it on an auction and luckily sold it 2 month later. Since I'm also dealing with measurement machines I complain less bought repair cost for construction machines. The machine was dismantled and secured for transport by a technician of the manufacturer . 4 hours 3500€

  27. #27crane operator2026-08-29 07:44

    I appreciate you posting pictures of what you do. I'm shopping somewhat seriously for one or two big forklifts, and would love to see pictures of your machines, and what you like and don't like about each one of them. I've got a customer that has a bunch of machines to move, there's 10 or so that are 25,000- 35,000 lbs. Then we've got 4 that are around 40,000lbs. And two big lathes that are 100,000lbs. I'm looking at renting a 40-60 versa lift, and buying a 40,000lbs lift truck. I'm not buying used, and I'm not going to spend $300,000 either. I'm likely going to buy some old dumb iron. The new versa lifts even have remote control, and I think I'm just fine on the seat.

  28. #28JRK2026-08-29 11:15

    some years ago I was searching the internet for 15ton + forklifts . what I found in the US could be interesting for you. Bristol BS 80 forklift https://bristolmanufacturing.com/ and there were other brands Royal Forklift and I think Taylor forklifts. , think about it maybe it helps to find something cheaper than versalift. what I saw on your crane pic thread gave me the impression that you are also capable to build your own or upgrade an existing forklift!? Forklifts Affordable Machinery is your go-to source for used forklifts, cranes, versa-lifts, gantry lifts, presses, and industrial equipment. We buy, sell, and source machinery fast with nationwide with fair pricing. www.affordable-machinery.com the prices are crazy in my opinion but maybe it is something to find ideas for me no chance to import to Europe unfortunately. I think maybe you find something over time at an Auction or a factory closure. I will post some pictures of my forklifts .

  29. #29JRK2026-08-29 11:20

    the 10 ton Toyota FD100 1972. I bought in 2012 in poor condition and repaired what was to be fixed over the years

  30. #30JRK2026-08-29 11:23
  31. #31crane operator2026-08-29 11:27

    The bristol rigger specials, are taylor forklifts "remanufactured" with heavier masts and more counterweight. There's several different sizes. I've been looking at taylor, apache, clark, hyster, lowry, cat/towmotor, bristol and royal. The heavy rigger lifts are always pretty expensive. I'll eventually find what I need, at a price I'm comfortable with. Do you have a rigger's mast/ boom that you install for lifting from the top?

  32. #32JRK2026-08-29 11:28

    its an easy to handle machine just 2,90m height and can be transported with a normal low loader without lowbed. Normally I'm no fan of paint jobs but I used it for 5 months to clear a big industrial plant where I had bought the inventory and the original paint was not nice. The Mitsubishi on the low loader is also mine 5ton 6m lift height my crane replacement

  33. #33JRK2026-08-29 11:34

    No I don't have a a rigger boom for a forklift. actually my main business is trade with machines. I handle machine up to around 15ton myself, everything with is more than that or the value is exceeds a certain amount makes no sense to handle myself. I don't have employees which would be necessary to do more and working with contractor is better for insurance reasons when it's a high value machine

  34. #34JRK2026-08-29 11:36
  35. #35JRK2026-08-29 11:40

    Toyota FD 150 15ton @ 900mm center of gravity. 1976 the machine which I bought with the defect engine HeavyEquipmentForums now a good reliable machine unfortunately it is too high for a normal trailer as shown in the pictures 4,30m height on the truck. illegal here but we knew the route would work, so don't get caught.

  36. #36JRK2026-08-29 11:42

    this is the correct trailer for it. own weight 22ton

  37. #37JRK2026-08-29 11:47

    the big one

  38. #38JRK2026-08-29 11:55

    Luna TH20-1200 20ton @ 1200mm 1997 or 1998 comes from the Dutch military just 2890 hours on it. the brand was a Spanish mobile crane producer. I knew the brand from the mid 90ies when was a lad and looking for a crane with my father. we never bought a big crane just the small case drott 3300. but I remembered the brand when I saw the offer on the internet. Luna got bankrupt in 2010 so getting parts seams not to be easy but before I bought it I spoke with the german importer of the mobile cranes and he told me that Luna didn't use much specific components mainly industry standard parts and it is that way more or less from what I have seen. Volvo Engine Clark Hurth transmission. Valves mainly Rexroth or Parker.

  39. #39JRK2026-08-29 12:00

    The Luna has one disadvantage it is 3.40m high even with the mast tilted forward. too high for here to get it transported for normal money. but for unloading and loading the heavy stuff it works fine

  40. #40JRK2026-08-29 12:08

    for the 100.000lbs Lathe the versa lift is too small? 50ton here are moved by mobile crane normally. is there not enough space to do it by crane. Do you have a mobile crane yourself for 50ton?

  41. #41crane operator2026-08-29 13:26

    I think the big lathe will be moved on skates. We have to get it into a pit. There won't be room in the building for my crane to set it, the ceiling will be too short. I have 90-100- and 120 ton (US) cranes. We may rent two forklifts and tandem pick it to get it into the pit, or skate it over the pit on shoring, and then jack it down into the hole. I'm still exploring options.

  42. #42JRK2026-08-29 14:22

    could you dismantle the transmission? not necessarily due to the weight but the bending of the bed? last year I dismantled and loaded a big lathe ( the machine 13,5tons) when I lifted it with the overhead crane it felt a little unsafe cause the transmission is just bolted to the bed

  43. #43JRK2026-08-29 14:23

    for unloading I had a big forklift with which it was easier to place one fork closer to the transmission how deep is the pit?

  44. #44crane operator2026-08-29 15:24

    They haven't poured the concrete yet. I'm going to guess 3-4'

  45. #45JRK2026-08-29 15:28

    The lathe looks similar to mine or is it a face lathe. I hope this is the correct word. Basically just a transmission and a big chuck?

  46. #46Mr. Wrench2026-08-29 22:39

    I enjoy seeing your machines! Your trailers are interesting, different than we have over here.

  47. #47crane operator2026-08-30 08:49

    I'm calling it a lathe, but it's really not a lathe. It's for turning railroad car wheels. You can put the whole axle with wheels mounted on the axle, and turn as one piece. It's big heavy and awkward. We've unloaded and set two of them, skated into a small building. But now we are switching buildings, and they are going into the pits in the new building, for easier access for wheel turning set up. It's going to be fun. We may end up farming out the pit placement part, if I don't feel like we can come up with the right equipment to do it safely.

  48. #48JRK2026-08-30 10:58

    Ah okay I know the type of machine you are talking about. Actually we call it lathe . Translation would mean something like "wheel set lathe". I thought about the same solution lowering the machine down in the pit without the right equipment is not easy.

  49. #49JRK2026-08-30 10:59

    Thanks yes trucks and trailers look quite different.

  50. #50JRK2026-08-30 11:10

    that could be the right equipment, the guy with the 30ton electric forklift has some of them. but I don't know if Ormig exports to the US Pick & Carry Electric Cranes Archivi - Produzione gru elettriche produzione gru pickandcarry - Ormig S.p.A. Pick & Carry Electric Cranes - Produzione gru elettriche produzione gru pickandcarry - Ormig S.p.A. www.ormig.com

  51. #51DDoug2026-08-30 12:41

    It still is a lathe....but as JRK nailed it with a "Wheel Set Lathe" So it's a double ended lathe looking blob..... There are "Vertical Lathes" commonly known by the main brand "Bullard" which is a lathe stood on end. I used to run a 54" dynatrol Bullard, fun times.

  52. #52JRK2026-08-30 14:08

    is this machine vertical or horizontal? what I know as a wheel set lathe is horizontal.

  53. #53JRK2026-08-30 14:08

    the vertical which you were working on was conventional or CNC?

  54. #54DDoug2026-08-30 18:00

    Conventional, but all pushbutton.

  55. #55hvy 1ton2026-08-31 00:08

    I always forget that Versa-Lifts are sold all over. Their shop is next to my Deere dealer and I bought a bumpside Ford from them when I was teenager.

  56. #56JRK2026-09-03 07:36

    an exceptional machine 5 Axis Milling machine weight 19ton width 3,42m

  57. #57JRK2026-09-03 07:37
  58. #58JRK2026-09-05 11:53

    Today I reassembled the steering cylinder on my 10 ton Toyota forklift. The seals were machined parts cause no OEM parts available anymore .

  59. #59JRK2026-09-05 11:54
  60. #60JRK2026-09-05 11:55
  61. #61JRK2026-09-05 12:01
  62. #62crane operator2026-09-05 13:41

    No parts available, just makes it all that much more entertaining.

  63. #63JRK2026-09-05 13:58

    Yes but as long as it's just seals I can manage. Transmission parts would be very bad

  64. #64crane operator2026-09-05 14:15

    Don't talk about all the bad things that "might" happen. The machines listen.

  65. #65JRK2026-09-05 14:17

    Ok , my wife tells me the same sometimes.

  66. #66JRK2026-09-12 15:56
  67. #67JRK2026-09-12 16:01

    10ton capacity Baumann sideloader forklift Sold this sping to a German company for handling big steel parts. Baumann sounds German but in fact is a Italian brand. 6 cylinder Perkins engine

  68. #68YT13002026-09-12 16:26

    I have never ever heard of these, yet I rather like that one! Able to work down narrow aisles, and beside that I think I like how the pallet weight would had been right between axles which makes this quite stable&agile compared to all the bouncy weight hanging in front of a more typical forklift.

  69. #69JRK2026-09-12 16:28

    A good example of my plan to just buy and sell without doing any repairs. This is what the past mechanic did to repair the engine mounting bracket. Another spent Saturday to repair it . The machine was sold in normal working order for the age

  70. #70JRK2026-09-12 16:31

    Stability is not the point for the design. The forklift is used to transport long goods going through small doors. For example long steel beams or pipes.

  71. #71JRK2026-09-12 16:34

    Woodworking companies are also often customers for sideloaders

  72. #72JRK2026-09-12 16:39

    To the right and left of the mast there are tables to place the load while driving . The mast can be moved in and out to pick a load for example from a platform of a truck.

  73. #73JRK2026-09-12 16:43
  74. #74DDoug2026-09-12 19:33

    Yes, see them in shops processing bar stock. 8" dia. solid bar stock 20'-30' long, they pick up 3-4 at a time, no pallets. The flatbed truck has wood blocking under the pieces for the forks to slide in. (Every 8'-10') Handled like logs, taken to racks where the forks can fit between the arms. Not common like seeing them at the local warehouse, but they are around. IIRC Hyster made most of them, Might have seen a few from Crown in smaller battery models.

  75. #75JRK2026-09-13 03:01

    Hyster produces sideloaders? I've never seen one here. Normal forklifts and the heavy stuff is common all over Europe from Hyster . The crown battery models are probably 4 way forklifts where you can preset the driving mode?

  76. #76JRK2026-09-13 03:15

    this is also a 4 way forklift which I sold to Swiss. you can turn the wheel 90degrees by changing the steer program and after that you turn the steering wheel in a normal range. unfortunately I didn't make a picture with the wheels in the other direction.

  77. #77JRK2026-09-13 03:17

    that's that's why the next picture is from a sales catalog

  78. #78JRK2026-09-13 07:11

    Here are picture from the back with the 3rd big wheel in the middle

  79. #79JRK2026-09-18 14:32

    Here some pics from a big 3 axis milling machine dismantled some years ago by a crane company. The machine was sold to the Netherlands.

  80. #80JRK2026-09-18 14:33
  81. #81JRK2026-09-18 14:34
  82. #82JRK2026-09-18 14:35
  83. #83JRK2026-09-18 14:36

    Old pictures cause at the moment I'm looking for new equipment but at the moment unfortunately hard to find good equipment for a good price

  84. #84JRK2026-09-18 16:33

    The tipping of the main column was the crucial part. The clearance between column and roof was very small . Max part weight approx 10ton. The whole machine 25ton

  85. #85JRK2026-09-19 16:25

    Today I found the time finish the steering cylinder.put it back in the 10ton forklift. Luckily I found an old transmission jack. 10 years ago I lifted it by hand while lying on my back but getting older is sometimes no fun.

  86. #86JRK2026-09-19 16:26
  87. #87JRK2026-09-22 15:06
  88. #88JRK2026-09-22 15:13

    a Mercedes U1600 2 Way tractor for pulling trains. fitted with torque converter to the manual 8 gear manual transmission . max weight of the train 600ton

  89. #89JRK2026-09-22 16:13

    On the surface of the tyres you see the wear from the rails. The steel wheels are just for keep it on the rails. Traction comes from the wheels

  90. #90DDoug2026-09-22 18:39

    Yes, that's pretty much standard on the truck conversions over here as well.

  91. #91JRK2026-09-30 15:20

    Jenoptik opticline optical shaft measurement system. I sold it luckily to Swiss in August. There was an exception for Swiss that there is no export permit necessary . The machine is used for measuring round parts for example drive shafts with an accuracy of 0.001mm. Literally rocket science or what makes rockets take off. Always a little bit sensitive to deal with the measurement stuff. If you need parts or a technician service for forklifts or construction machines feels cheap.

  92. #92DDoug2026-09-30 19:50

    We always used DECO anchors when pouring, you can unscrew the threaded rod flush when installing & removing machinery. So you can simply skate the machine out.

  93. #93JRK2026-10-01 11:36

    They did the same with the grinding machine in the first post. But it was the first time I dismantled a machine with that anchors . Normally you have to cut the bolts with the angle grinder