Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Work pics from the “Rock” show

JimBruce42 ยท 2008-09-07 15:29

As I previously said, I've recently been given a new assignment for .... a while :beatsme Working in our rock quarry in Elk Mills, MD. This is our largest of the 5 quarries we own and has probably the most room for expansion... I think. Friday was the first day back there for me (I spend 8 months of '07 there). Most of the morning was task training/refreshing on a 980H, don't have any photos from then, it was the first time I've been in a wheel loader in over a year and I was a little over my head at the time mixing 2A and loading trucks (at least two came back light:Banghead). Around 10 one of the other 980's went down for repairs, so I got booted and task trained on the 775F trucks. I must say they are vastly better than their E predecessors. The visibility from the new cabs is amazing and everything is located for ease of reach. :usa:notworthy Pic#1 and 2: View from a 775f cab Pic#3: another 775 Pic#4: 775 on the 3rd bench being loaded by one 990 Pic#5: 775 from pic 3 being loaded by the other 990 loader enjoy

Replies34
  1. #1bigcatpip2008-09-07 16:45

    yeah when I was there they put a shot off that made nothing but tractor-trailer size rock, 2 345 hammers 1 350 hammer and a 330 hammer just to get that bench open up. took 2 months to get it done....hey jim is the 2nd 990 still down?

  2. #2JimBruce422008-09-07 17:30

    Sounds like the shot that went off when I got shipped out of there last year. The face had cracks like 20 feet back into the highwall and the drillers couldn't get to the edge of the shot. So when they did shoot it it pretty much gave them 35-40'x20' chunks of granite. I can believe it took that much iron pecking away. Nope, both 990's are running now:drinkup:usa, though they have two Volvo L330's sitting up top as fill in loaders for either the pit or the yard or something:beatsme They look like Cedar Hill's loaders, do you know if they got new loaders?

  3. #3N.CarolinaDozer2008-09-07 17:43

    Nice pics, looks like a playground for any operator!

  4. #4bigcatpip2008-09-07 19:59

    I know that one of the 330 Volvo is tamlage's. They ship it down to E.M. 3 weeks ago to cover when the 990 when down with a engine swap..I will get some pic of tamlage Monday.

  5. #5registered user2008-09-14 10:50

    Nice pictures, keep them coming.

  6. #6Mass-X2008-09-14 15:14

    Are you guys experiencing any problems with the 775F's or other F series rigid frame trucks?

  7. #7JimBruce422008-09-14 15:26

    Short answer is no, Long answers is not really. I'm not sure about the other two trucks, but the one I ran, the scales in it are not very reliable. Sometimes it doesn't registart the first bucket and other times it doesn't calcuate the last one. It's bad with the truck is visibly full and the scales say you've only got 58 tons in it:beatsme That's a minor issue though, I think there were a few bugs in that particular truck's transmission too, but they seem to have ironed it out. I have a couple photos from last week I need to load off my camera. Spent most of the week in the yard on a 980h with 3100 hours on it.:usa Fortunately, no one lost any sideboards :drinkup

  8. #8Mass-X2008-09-14 15:52

    That kinda mirrors what I'm seeing. Faulty sensors confusing ET programs and technicians. Extremely hot exhaust temperatures (over 1400 degrees F). Seems the F's still have a few bugs to get worked out before they reach the level of availability of their predecessors.

  9. #9JimBruce422008-09-14 16:00

    pics today As said, here are some photos #1 and 2: Cat 980h, operator will be back from vacation this week, so who knows what I'll be doing.:beatsme #3: Thunderstorm was rolling in and the blaster wasn't finished loading the shot so everyone had to leave the pit until the storm blew through #4: The 330 we borrowed from our Talmage quarry all set to get sent back this coming week #5: One of our trailer dump trucks dumping it's load of 8's back off (I think 8's are the same as 1b )

  10. #10dirt digger2008-09-14 16:55

    i dont know why but that type of dump trailer has always scared me

  11. #11Bob Horrell2008-09-14 17:06

    I know why it scares you. Same for me. One time I watched a guy dumping a load of wet dirt in a frameless like that. The dirt was slow to come out. One of the inside rear tires was real low, and when all the weight ended up on the rear 4 wheels, the tire next to the low one blew causing the whole rig to lay over on it's side.

  12. #12JimBruce422008-09-14 17:24

    not to mention the higher the bed gets, the higher the center of gravity and the shorter the overal wheel base gets, since the rear tires tend to put in towards the tractor.

  13. #13Grader4me2008-09-14 20:00

    Wow, that's the first time I've ever seen something like that. Anybody here ever use one of these? Looks like it wouldn't be very stable. Have to be perfect conditions to dump. I would be scared to dump if there was a slight breeze blowing. Great pictures!

  14. #14JimBruce422008-09-14 21:18

    I'm with ya there, but we primarily use these trucks to transport stone from our quarries to our asphalt plants. So hopefully their stone bids are pretty level.

  15. #15knucklehead982008-09-15 21:27

    And if you knew what I know about Alumatech trailers you would RUN away from any of them that you see. I worked for a company that I believe had some special interest in Alumatech. So all we had was Alumatech dumps. Well one of my job titles was Welder. Well I had to fix every one of them in the same places every time. We even had one come in new from the factory, ran it one day, the next day I started the repair welds on it. I made a few changes in the welds on them and I could usually get 2 weeks out of them.

  16. #16JDMGrading2008-09-15 23:16

    I've had great luck with East trailers.

  17. #17JimBruce422008-10-06 21:15

    So, still here at the quarry, because of how abrasive and "gets everywhere" the dust is I've stopped taking my camera.:bash I still have my phone though, so I get the occasional picture. Spend the last few weeks up top running trucks out from under the bins of the tertiary plant (Euc R-50:Banghead, Cat 775e/f, Volvo A30c and now A40d), gives me some time to catch the occasional neat thing. In this case: #1: One of our Roadtec milling machines on an AI-MD lowboy #2: There's that rolloff again, with a 72" (?) bucket and 345 ct/w on it #3: Lowboy again, this time with one of our (myers) 345b's on it... #4: A wrecker:beatsme #5: The two 990's getting fuel. We usually have a fuel truck, but it's out then next few weeks for a rebuild on the engine.

  18. #18fensoncont.2008-10-06 21:19

    Those AI lowboys are awesome, very cool color scheme. Thanks for sharing.

  19. #19dirt digger2008-10-06 22:42

    you guys short on drivers down there Jim? i was supposed to get 4 loads delivered to my job at 1pm on Friday from your quarry to my job in Oxford...first 2 loads came at 12:30...then the one driver made 2 more trips so i didn't get my last load until 3:30pm...i had to wait 2 hours because i couldn't do anything until i got all my stone there...kinda torqued me off and the boss didn't like that i had to work OT that day when i really shouldn't have..haha

  20. #20JimBruce422008-10-07 05:07

    Short answer is I don't know:beatsme Long answer might have something to do with which quarry it came from. IF you're in Oxford, it could have been Elk Mills or Cedar Hill. Last I knew we didn't have any ICM trucks stationed at Cedar Hill, so that could be part of the issue for you. At Elk Mills, they have a fleet, but we also have HMAsphalt plant, so that does tend to suck the trucks up fast. Though, while working in the yard I've seen from time to time lots of trucks from multiple places and companies decide to park behind a pile for an hour or more, then swamp the loaders around 1:30 So the long answer is about the same, I'm at the quarry working, but I don't know any more than you do, lol.:notworthy :usa What was your order for?

  21. #21dirt digger2008-10-07 07:08

    it was only for 100 tons of ASHTO #5 the slip said Cedar Hill but the driver told me he was coming from Maryland...so who knows where it actually came from

  22. #22JimBruce422008-10-07 20:59

    Cedar Hill sits almost dead on the state line and actually has two gates, one in Maryland and one in PA. So if he was coming up route one it was probably easier for him to go out the MD side. Another fun fact with that quarry, the one pit wall is shared with an H&K quarry just opposite of it:Banghead. Talk about competition:drinkup

  23. #23dirt digger2008-10-07 22:12

    yea there is a Penn MD quarry down there too...you wanna talk about sh*tty stone...go to them

  24. #24JimBruce422008-10-19 19:05

    Few more photos from the enore... First ones are the stone slingers. I've never seen one in action, but I have to assume they work pretty well since there are quite a few that come through every day. Mostly for 2b/57's. Anyone have any experience with them? View attachment stoneslinger1.jpg View attachment stoneslinger2.jpg A Couple of the tired Cat 350 used to hammer and dig out the countless boulders in this quarry. Machine number is #3437 i think?:beatsme And the portable screen that the asphalt plant uses to screen out oversized RAP so they can re-use it. They must send this thing back and forth between the different hot mix plants, because it was only gone for a week before it came back. enjoy! PS: finally figured out the whole putting pictures in your post thing:bash

  25. #25hoeman6002008-10-19 19:38

    hey thats my old 350

  26. #26brynbaily2008-10-20 01:50

    During winter months I see 2 to 3 of these tip over at our site due to material freezing in the front. Mostly new inexperienced guys in a hurry.

  27. #27JimBruce422008-10-24 08:02

    Yeah? small world, lol. I don't know how well it ran when you had it, but she's real tired now. I am working 9-7 today, but I've got 6 minutes before I have to leave, so here are some quick pics :cool2 We have two old Euclid R50's that are up for sale, well someone bought the one, and A.G. Allenbach came in with their Pete tractor and a quad axle lowboy to pick it up. View attachment 1023080835.jpg View attachment 1023081112.jpg View attachment 1023081112a.jpg The R50 replacement... one of AI-VA's old A40d's with Frankenstien sideboards ointhead View attachment 1020081306.jpg And two 775f's coming up from the floor View attachment 1022081546.jpg

  28. #28surfer-joe2008-10-24 17:36

    Any end-dump trailer is vulnerable when it get up a ways. If it's parked on a slant, tires are low on one side, it's over-loaded to one side, or the material sticks up near the top on one side, they have a strong propensity to tip over. It really bad when there are three or four trailers dumping right next to each other and one goes. It's like dominoes. I had that happen to me in Detroit one night. What a mess. I was still there at ten the next morning getting it all pulled apart. The trailers that tip on one axle scare me just as bad as anyone else. Lots of weight on that one axle and the base leg of the triangle gets shorter the higher the bed goes. I only used one of this style one time. Begged off to go back to my original rig with it's frame style dump.

  29. #29JimBruce422008-10-26 19:17

    here's a quick little video I took when I first got there back in Sept. Just didnt' get around to uploading it until now:beatsme It's a Cat 990 loading one of the new 775f's. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4XvGTyJn88

  30. #30JimBruce422008-12-03 21:10

    Trying for third in the HEF pic race It's been a while, so I figured I would give an update from the rock tour. Past few weeks I've been running the 980h:notworthy:usa because the normal operator got into a bad car/bike accident, and hasn't been back yet. Hopefully he's getting better, but I don't mind running his loader another shot of hoeman's old 350 doing what it does best, breaking rock View attachment AIEMCat350L5.jpg The maintence crew's Grove RT crane Just how high can a pile of 2a modified/crush to run/ CR6/ whatever you wanna call it get? :beatsme View attachment AIEMMountCR.jpg Lowboy returning the Volvo L120 from it's "extended loan" to an asphalt plant... ...apparently getting it back as clean as it came wasn't their concern:Banghead I'll leave out that they had to replace the radiator before it could come back too View attachment AIICMVolvoL120.jpg

  31. #31dirt digger2008-12-03 21:33

    Jim your at the quarry that backs up the Camp Horseshoe...the boyscout camp down there on the other side of the river?

  32. #32JimBruce422008-12-04 05:05

    Nah, I think that is Cedar Hill. This one is a little deeper in MD near Elkton, MD. Course there could be a camp near by:beatsme

  33. #33dirt digger2008-12-04 18:11

    ahhh....yea i have done a lot of work down at that camp...frikkin rock show down there too every time it floods all the quarries stone washes over and rebuilds the camps shoreline...HAHA i took my "personality test" tonight for AAM....fingers are crossed for an offer

  34. #34bigcatpip2008-12-04 21:49

    yeah dirt digger that quarry you are talking about is cedar hill you can see the camp site from the scale house.