Hey guys! I hope everybody is having a good holiday season! I was wondering if any of you have experience with a good alarm system for a work truck with tool boxes? My truck has been broken into 2 times this year and I have to do something to try to prevent and catch theses guys. Both have happened at my house. They have stole my chainsaws and miscellaneous tools both times. I need a good alarm system that will go off before they break the tool boxes or my door open! I'm also trying to find some sort of good small gps tracker to put on my saws in the event that this happens again! Seems like all of the small ones I find either have crappy battery life or work off of Bluetooth rather than gps. Do any of y'all have any good advice on this? Many thanks and Merry Christmas! Note: if I would be better of in the TGIF section just let me know.
I don't know anything about alarm systems, but when you do get something if this is at your house I would go to your local hunting and fish shop buy yourself a good trail camera maybe two. I had neighbour problems and they work good if you positions them right, they are not looking for them so they don't see them get them on photo the ultimate evidence.
I would get a alarm that would only sound off in the house and a shotgun. The trail cameras would be a good ideal but make sure your wife or someone can erase the pictures if you kill one of them. I dont think a alarm on a vehical does alot of good people are to use to hearing them. I live in a small town the only rigs that get stolen are the ones that they leave the keys in. But their are some that have alarms on rigs that are not worth much like what i drive and they go off when the wind blows. The other day i dumped a bundle of fire wood in my backyard and set 2 off. I fill for you i hate thieves.
Ruger, Smith & Wesson, put a rag full of anti-sieze or maybe blue coat ( we use it for open wound on the animals ) uyou will track them basterds anywhere.
You should be talking to an auto alarm shop, should be able to get one of those car alarms installed that if you touch the body anywhere, an alarm goes off, lights flash, horn blows etc. Get an engraver and put your name and/or phone# on all your stuff. Dog works good too, bigger the better.
Flood lights and cameras let them know you're not F'ing around
i just had my shop broke into last thursday!! cameras are useless!!! got the guy on video with my 100" of welding lead, 3 buckets of brass air brake fittings, 2 carbs, 1 cutting torch, & a 200 amp mig welder!!! police wouldnt go arrest him till 6hours later. he spent the night in jail & paid $750 bail & was out the next morning!! i still dont have a welder< my leads were scrapped with the radiator( not getting them back for sure) pictures are worthless u hate to do it but wait till they break the lock & then give them lead posion!!! im so made over this & dont know what to do bout it!!!!! the system is set up for the theives!!
A buddy of mine has cheapo motion sensors from harbor freight in everything he owns. Receivers are on his night stand next to a 1911. He also booby traps with pepper bombs. Seems to work for him although makes me nervous when I stop by to borrow something when he's not around. He used to booby trap with explosives.
the local bus company has a laster grid around their yard and motion activated cameras that are monitored off site by a company and police dispatched immediately upon verification of activity
Talking to cops is almost a waste of time. My shop was broken into and they took about $20K worth of tools and even drove off with a customers car. Week later found a fellow selling my tools at a flea market. Called the police. They almost treated me like the criminal. Wanted to know if I had receipts for the tools. Tools I bought 40 years ago. I had my initials on some. The guy said he had bought them at a pawn shop. Our state law requires that a pawn shop hold merchandise for at least 30 days before selling it. Police would never investigate. My own investigation showed that he had been arrested for selling stolen items before. I felt like taking the law into my own hands and giving him some rightful due justice, but then I would be the one in jail. Car was recovered by a towing company about a month later. They called police and reported the recovery but police never notified me or followed up. Sat on storage lot running up over $1000 in storage fees. I really haven't found any good motion dectors, dogs, wind or cats thunder lightning set them off. Maybe hook up a momentiary switch hooked to your horn. You have to stop them before the walk off with your tools. Once they leave its hard to get tools back even if police arrest them. They can hold it for evidence. Mean time you need your tools now, not after a trial. Usually thieves get rid of things right away. I refuse to engrave every tool, wrench, screwdriver etc. with my phone number.
A bubby had some stuff stolen and a sort time later returned home from turkey hunting to find the guy back stealing more stuff. He had his shot gun so the guy hung around till the cops showed up. He was useing his mothers pickup i would have had a hard time not fireing a shot or 2 at the pickup so maybe his mother wouldnt loan it to him agin.He had sold most of the stuff from the first time for scrap and didnt make back the gas it took to go the 60 miles to the scrap yard.