Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Working in the snow, tips and trick

fArMeRkNoWsBeSt ยท 2008-12-10 20:33

Hi there, Well it is unfortunately that time of year again, snow is falling frequently and the ground is freezing deeper by the day. I learned a lot this year using our "new" hoe and I don't want that to stop just because of some pesky snow. I'm wondering, what do I need to look out for or do differently when working on frozen ground with snow cover. I'm assuming be extra cautious is a big one as you can't see what is below the snow. I'm also assuming that taking extra attention to keep the undercarriage clean is important too. What I'll be doing mostly will be fenceline removal, trees and stones, slash and burn, bury what won't. I don't know how long I'll be able to go into the winter. Around here the ground freezes up to 4ft deep by February, but now it is only frozen a few inches in the ground with a few inches of snow on top. However, last year the ground didn't hardly freeze much past 6 inches, there was never less than 1.5ft of snow on the ground and apparently guys took bush out all winter. Anyways, enough rambling. Would really like to know the basics of winter work. I'm a newb but am eager to learn. Warren

Replies27
  1. #1youngoperator2008-12-10 21:02

    hey im very interseted in digging in snow too! this is my first year of winter work im new at this too.... so far there is about 4inchs of forst maybe in the ground if that and there is 2 feet of snow on top of it. warren where abouts are you working in eastern ont?

  2. #2fArMeRkNoWsBeSt2008-12-10 21:06

    Dundas County. Directly south of Ottawa on the 401, exit 750. 4 inches of frost eh. Hmmmn, well is plenty to carry the combine if it ever stops snowing and we can finish harvest.

  3. #3youngoperator2008-12-10 21:12

    ya where lucky to get that forst lastyear there was no frost . ya the snow has slowed us right down lots too. yesterday we got over a foot of snow that came down

  4. #4Construct'O2008-12-10 21:16

    Have fun!!!!!! Snow is worst then wet muddy dirt.It is always mixing in with the dirt and as it melts in your tracks, it is a pain to keep the trakcs cleaned out. Get use to cleaning tracks,need extra help to clean them as you work. The grass, snow,bean stuble, and cornstalks get packed in there like a beaver dam.At times almost impossible to get out. Been cleaning tracks on the dozers here alll fall and more here with the cold wet snow and mud.The less you have to turn and twist the machine the better.The faster it get plugged up. Back by the final drives and sprocket it will melt and turn to mud there because of the build up of heat there.If the weather will set in and get no lower then into the mid teens at night and just up a little over freezing it will work the best. Putting diesel fuel on the tracks and around by the sprocket at night if it really get cold,helps to keep things from getting froze to bad.Amazing how it will help. If you get over a foot of frost you will be ready to quit.Chunks will be more then you care to deal with.Especially if you have to drive over them Hopefully the weather will be like you had last year. If your going to be farming where your cleaning make sure you don't break off the roots to bad.They won't want to pull out with the trees like when the ground is not froze.Good luck with your project.:usa

  5. #595zIV2008-12-10 21:22

    Just remember this is coming from a Vermonter. I'm finding that there is only one good effective way for someone to deal snow and frost and other winter complications. Move south

  6. #6Dirtman20072008-12-10 21:58

    I couldn't help but laugh, frozen dirt... whats that all we have is cold dirt in the winter!

  7. #7HoJay2008-12-10 23:11

    How goes it fArMeRkNoWsBeSt? I might not be the best guy for this but here it goes. First off, I love working in the winter - no rain days just the odd day where its to cold to run, for us it is around -30 celcius. Getting your tracks corked is a good idea but is more of a luxery, If you have troubles sliding around while digging rough it up or throw some loose material under the tracks so they have something to bite into. Snow on the undercarrige is not that big of a deal as long as its cold out and your not out playing in the mud or a swamp. Make sure your carrier rollers are turning or else you'll get flat spots on the rollers. When digging frost take small bites and just keep working the face and be patient it will be slow.Dont chip at the frost just keep racking your teeth across the top until its opened up. When working the face you might be using just one tooth, try not to pry too much or you might break your shank off. Tiger teeth can help but if the frost is to severe you may need to get a ripper.In winter most of our hoes come to the job with a ripper and digging bucket. Ripping is hard on a hoe but so is digging frost, the outfit I work for charges an extra $20 an hour for ripping and in my expirence O rings like to let go more often when ripping. On the bucket try to rotate your teeth as needed so you still have some bite on the corners. Also inbetween your teeth take a beating to so that area may require some hard surfacing or extra build up. Snow is also a good insulator so leave it until your going to work that are. Anyways starting to ramble on, so I hope you can take something from this. Everything I have wrote is based upon my expiriences and what I have been told and I'm sure there are different or better ways to deal with winter. The pic is a 750 deere peeling of 1.5 meters of frozen clay

  8. #8Colorado Digger2008-12-11 01:12

    sorry guys :ban:ban:drinkup:drinkup

  9. #9Reuben2008-12-11 08:11

    If you plan on moving the dirt, leave the snow on it untill you want to dig it and dont drive on the snow above it either. Driving on it just "hammers" the frost deeper into the ground. I have dug across the roads in the winter and encountered frost as deep as four feet. (Ya I am sure there is guys that have seen it much deepere). Digging in frozen dirt is like trying to eat a frozen snickers candy bar,just on a much larger scale.

  10. #10greywynd2008-12-11 09:29

    Use the winter to your advantage too. For fence bottoms, go track back and forth alongside it, where you will be using it as a haul road, and it will freeze up, prevents getting stuck. Anywhere you're digging though, don't disturb the snow until you're ready to dig, it will insulate and slow the frost down. I know here it sucks plowing snow, there's no frost under teh snow, so I've peeled a couple large divots out of the lawn.

  11. #11fArMeRkNoWsBeSt2008-12-11 12:26

    Thanks for the tips everyone, I am a big fan of the 4h modo, "learn to do by doing". I've been in the fencerow and it is going ok, better than trying to do it in mud, but not as nice as dry ground. In the trees the frost is only a few inches deep, but the plowed field I tracked across to get where I was going the frost is a good 6 inches deep. Lots of snow, and I don't know if I will ever get used to the rain of snow everytime I touch a tree. Thanks again everyone. Warren

  12. #12greywynd2008-12-11 21:50

    Well, they are calling for +8 Monday or Tuesday here, with rain too, so the snow might not be there much longer!

  13. #13Reuben2008-12-11 22:34

    Just got done plowing here. its 10:30pm, I will be back in the hoe at 3am. calling for around 8 inchs here over night.

  14. #14biggixxerjim2008-12-11 23:53

    And make sure you park tracked machines on something they wont freee to.... boards, asphalt/concrete or maybe some coarse aggregate, like 2" and up Ive seen a number of final drives blown by trying to free a frozen machine

  15. #15Greg2008-12-12 10:29

    Do like I finally did. Get Smart. Don't fight it, join it. Got some good snow plowing accounts last year and parked all the iron.

  16. #16JTL2008-12-19 23:48

    Make the best of it!

  17. #179420pullpan2008-12-20 18:57

    Awesome Pics, keep them coming. How does that Wheel Dozer get around in the snow?

  18. #18AllMtnConst.2008-12-22 00:22

    Definitely keep your tracks clean. I do a bit in the winter. Steep terrain can pose a challenge. Tiger teeth help a lot. Concrete blankets can be handy too.:drinkup

  19. #19Greg2008-12-22 08:31

    Is it just me or is that guy standing under the machine?

  20. #20AllMtnConst.2008-12-22 09:10

    Looks like it, but standing near the rear outrigger leg- they spread out 21'7" from the machine.

  21. #21Steve Frazier2008-12-22 09:27

    Looks to me like he's centered between the two stabilizers and the bucket:beatsme

  22. #22JDOFMEMI2008-12-22 11:28

    Well, though I would not aqree its OK to be under a raised machine, with the spider hoe, he trusts his life to the machine staying put while operating in the conditions they are made for, so this is really no different. Sets a poor example for the ones trying to learn the right way.

  23. #23AllMtnConst.2008-12-22 15:55

    It is a poor example, poor picture.:Banghead

  24. #24AtlasRob2008-12-22 16:10

    Dont worry, a lot of us have taken similar pictures without thinking of the reality of what we are doing. like how your going to get back in it Awesome machine :drinkup

  25. #25JDOFMEMI2008-12-22 22:41

    All Mtn What we really want is some pics of what you really do with that hoe. Looks like you have a pretty fun job. Do share with us

  26. #26stock2008-12-23 01:34

    Just watching the news and it says that the USA is gripped in a snow storm from the mid west to the east coast, hope you boys have enough to plough.

  27. #27special tool2008-12-23 06:21

    Yes, we did. All weekend for me with 7 year old daughter running wing plow, auger and spinner. Just kidding, I sold the 2574 10 years ago.