Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Working on a JD 450G

Spectramac ยท 2010-01-23 12:59

We had this dozer show up with a leaking torque converter. I didn't know what I was in for to get the engine out though. What a job! Not so bad working around the engine, but that standing on your head pulling the controls and floor to pull the hydraulic pumps and hoses was almost too much... Then I had to figure out that parking brake to get it to roll out of the way. Finally, success!! http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk271/Spectramac/450g1.jpg http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk271/Spectramac/450g2.jpg http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk271/Spectramac/450g3.jpg Then, back in there!! http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk271/Spectramac/450g4.jpg

Replies7
  1. #1Backhoe310SG2010-01-24 00:18

    I have a couple pictures that look almost identical to that. The converter went out on our 450G about 2 years ago. I think it was later that summer our 455G had a leak underneath and after looking, my cousin saw it was the converter on it too. its motor got to be pulled too.

  2. #2Spectramac2010-01-24 13:06

    I'm used to working on older machines that you can actually pull some belly pans and do something to. That little round cover under the driveshaft really isn't good for anything! I would've pulled the converter all by itself if I could've gone through a better placed cover plate in the floor and removed those 12 flex plate bolts... They sure weren't made to be worked on.

  3. #3Greg2010-01-25 19:36

    the deere stuff has well known reputation for being about the worst there is to work on. I have cussed and swore my way through many a thing on my 450C crawler loader. Not only are they a S.O.B. to work on. Even the oil filter is a nightmare to change. You can't get hydraulic oil into them with out spilling 90 percent of it. Change the starter is a nightmare. Hydraulic lines are a nightmare, adjusting the clutch will give you fits and the list goes on and on and on. A fine example of "If you had to work on them you would never design and build them thay way."

  4. #4Spectramac2010-01-25 22:58

    Well, I know I'll think twice before taking in another one, that's for sure! I got it fired up for a leak test today and I didn't see any drips. Tomorrow I'll throw the floor, seat, batteries, hood, and front roll cage on and see how it works... I hope.

  5. #5pafarmer2010-02-04 15:51

    That has to be one of the worst jobs ever.........been there and done that and will never attempt again...Nice work getting it done.

  6. #6Spectramac2010-02-04 20:47

    Well, I didn't have as good of luck as I'd hoped. I got the whole thing DONE, right to the front safety cage and backed it out into the yard and let it run for a while. After about 15 minutes I backed it up and saw a small puddle under it... Long story short, I now have it pulled out for the 3rd time and found a small hairline crack in the front plate of the converter. There is a ring with threaded holes that is welded to it for attaching the flexplate and it has cracked through the weld and to the other side of the 1/4" thick drive plate, right into the oil! Now the funny part (at least I laughed to keep from crying) the new plate is $1500 from JD!!!! After calling every torque converter place we could think of, we found a place in Texas that is hooking us up with a plate that is the same except for the ring of holes around it are 5/16 instead of 3/8. Good part is it's half the price! It comes in tomorrow, so we'll see how it works and I'll give you guys an update.

  7. #7Spectramac2010-02-06 12:51

    Well, it fits! We bought a 3/8" reamer and drilled out the bolt holes and it went right together and all the bolts went in. I got some pics I'll throw up later but it sure looks nice. Now to get it back in the cat...