Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

komatsu d58 steering problems

suprant0010 ยท 2010-01-26 16:22

my 1990 komatsu d58 recently started giving me problems trying to steer...i have to apply excessive force on the controls to get the track to stop i tryed making adjustments to the 2 adjustment bolts under the rear access plate...it helps a bit, but only temporarily...after about an hour of driving it goes right back to giving me problems again im not familiar with how the steering brake system works this dozer, so i dont really know where to begin looking for the problem anyone have any advice on what may be the problem?

Replies8
  1. #1KTBAUGH2010-01-26 19:00

    We just fixed one of these dozers a few months ago at our shop with the same problems. We had to replace the brake bands because they were worn down to the rivets. They are a big pain to work on because you have to actually pull the whole rear center axle with the ring gear and both steering clutches attached just to get the brake bands out. It is a job putting them back to because when you set them back in, you have to set up the ring gear and pinion with the steering clutches on the shaft. Good luck with that one. Let us know if you have any questions. Thanks, kent baugh www.ktbaugh.com

  2. #2JASON M2010-01-31 18:28

    We bought (2) Komatsu D58's, at our local dealership and at the same time; The (2) models were of the same vintage as yours; a D58E and a D58P. The only recourse to our steering clutch problems in the D58P (LGP dozer wearing a 36" pad) was to simply get rid of it! It was continually breaking down in the steering dep't. I think it was because of too much footprint on the ground. The D58E dozer, however, is wearing a narrow pad (20-22", I think) and it has NEVER given a problem. We still have this unit and run it regularly and it hasn't given any problems. BTW: We traded the prior D58P for a later model, used D61P and haven't had any problems with the D61P..... for what that's worth. Superior design, I feel.

  3. #3JASON M2010-02-03 18:12

    FYI, I was at my local Komatsu dealership yesterday, picking up parts for other eqt., and I remembered to ask the store manager and salesman if they remembered the problems that I was having. They put their heads down, and reluctantly admitted, "Yeah, we remember that fiasco." I then asked if they (Komatsu) ever found out "why" the problem with the later model D58P (36" pad) dozer and a possible remedy. They answered "The original brake linings were made with a high metallic content and showed acceptable wear resistance and longevity. Somewhere along the way, Komatsu switched brake-lining sources for the D58P dozer and the new source did not incorporate the higher quality as the OEM, high metallic content brake linings. They would quickly fail, causing steering problems when they (brake linings) started coming apart. I think that I tried fixing mine at least three times and then just opted to trade it on a D61P.... then next successor. Problem gone.

  4. #4suprant00102010-02-03 22:21

    i cant take a look to see for sure atm but im pretty sure mine is a "p" not an "e"...it has the low ground pressure tracks...i just had transported to a shop for to get diagnosed/repaired it had just started leaking hydraulic fluid from the back part where the steering adjustment currently waiting on the mechanic to give me see whats from and give me an estimate what would an average cost for these repairs be? im expecting about a $5000-$7000 bill

  5. #5TMArizaga2024-11-30 06:33

    Hello, I have problems with the steering of a D58E,I have the clutches almost out and I want to measure the discs to be able to diagnose the problem, so I would need the manual. Does anyone have the repair manual? Could you pass it to me? Thank you, greetings.

  6. #6tctractors2024-12-01 15:07

    I take it we are talking non floating cab early type Komatsu Tractors, if so the Cab can be a pig to set free due to rusting of the Cap Screw bolts, I always just lift off the cabin leaving the lower seat base and floor plates to remove once the cab is clear, anyhow with the Cab off to remove the Fuel Tank, Seat base, floor plates and Battery box base plate followed by the top cover is not hard, the clutch actuators and clutch packs complete with cross shaft would be doable in a day depending if you had the steam cleaner flush out all the mess and a handy lifting arrangement for the big lumps, it's not uncommon to see D50 brake bands fitted that have the wrong spring location tabs on them, before you pull them all to bits you need to check the screen under your left foot as sat, this is the screen under the lid with 3 bolts, then check the steering pressure filter and purge the air out of the top vent plug in the lid, follow this up with a 0 to 600 psi gauge to the pressure filter using the vent plug hole also adjust the brake bands to the correct standard, start up the engine and read off the gauge with and without the steering levers pulled, print your findings. p.s. to set up the Cross Shaft bearing pre load and bevel gear lash is simple enough taking max about 1 hour to sort, there is tricks to it but its not hard to overcome.

  7. #7TMArizaga2024-12-06 05:21

    Thank you for your reply. I have the entire tractor disassembled and the group with the packages out. The only thing I need is the shop manual to be able to measure the clutch discs and springs. Also to make the adjustment of the levers and measure the pressure of the pads because I bought it half disassembled and I don't know how everything is. I will download the manual from some page. Any recommendations for the original manual? Thanks again, best regards. PS: If you need any manual you can ask me, I have several for machinery.

  8. #8Mcrafty12024-12-09 15:07

    Another 14 yo thread??? lol