Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

World Trade Center- Excavators

cat 325ccr ยท 2010-08-17 11:23

my pics from the WTC These are just some of the excavators at the site.

Replies79
  1. #1cat 325ccr2010-08-17 11:27

    more

  2. #2CM19952010-08-17 11:28

    Now that's a bathtub that makes an 800 look like a rubber ducky! The WTC is one heck of a project. Thanks for the pics, for the people that won't get the chance to see it in person.:thumbsup

  3. #3cat 325ccr2010-08-17 11:31

    Thanks! It is massive! more...

  4. #4plantman.uk2010-08-17 14:57

    Now thems is big dogs....nice pictures thank you for sharing them

  5. #5Jam2010-08-17 15:37

    Really interesting pics.... That is some site!

  6. #6amtronic2010-08-17 16:14

    The pressure on those retention walls must be incredible.

  7. #7cat 325ccr2010-08-17 17:52

    Thanks guys, I can't even the imagine the pressure on them

  8. #8watglen2010-08-17 19:20

    Great pics. Did you get a sense of what is actually happening down in the pit? I wonder how they get the material out of the pit?

  9. #9245dlc2010-08-17 20:44

    So what is it exactly that they're building? It'll be kinda weird going into a building where such a terrible thing had happened.

  10. #10cat 325ccr2010-08-19 14:06

    They use a crane and a ADT bed and they lift the dirt out that way, here is a video showing how they do it. I am getting a hotel room that overviews the site , keep in mind that I only live 10 minutes from there YouTube - Caterpillar 385BL excavator loading ADT bed in a foundation

  11. #11cat 325ccr2010-08-19 14:11

    As you see some of the pics might be from above, I got to go in 7 World Trade Center on the 48TH floor and got the chance to get pics. It was amazing from up there! Just some info about the pics. The site is all blocked off with a blue tarp like wall around the whole site. I got the pics the pics of the foundation because someone cut the wire ties holding the blue stuff to the gap and no-one knows about that spot the take pics, so I hope they dont close it up! More pictures

  12. #12plantman.uk2010-08-19 14:38

    I have to ask this guys....It seems that all the machines i see in these pictures have the arse end scored out of them....why?...In uk if you scratch the back end it's such a no no

  13. #13245dlc2010-08-19 14:43

    It's a no-no hear too, I guess these guys just don't care.

  14. #14cat 325ccr2010-08-19 15:10

    There is a company over here (NACIREMA) who repaints their equipment every other weekend. One operator scratched a c/w and they immediately took him off that machine

  15. #15cat 325ccr2010-08-19 15:55

    more pics

  16. #16cat 325ccr2010-08-19 15:57

    Pics from the cleanup (not my pictures) They had a couple of EX1200's there!

  17. #17Jam2010-08-19 17:03

    Awsome Why have the bigger cats got additional external exhaust systems?

  18. #18245dlc2010-08-19 17:19

    Those are interesting photos of the cleanup I remember with seeing a lot of new footage with some of those big mining size excavators. If you've got more of the cleanup please post them, the magnitude of the job is staggering.

  19. #19buckfever2010-08-19 20:51

    there exaust filters. here in pa alot of gov. jobs require you to meet certin emision standers.

  20. #20cat 325ccr2010-08-19 21:51

    ^^ you're right.

  21. #21cat 325ccr2010-08-19 21:54

    More

  22. #22cat 325ccr2010-08-19 21:56

    more, I will post more as soon as I find them

  23. #23monkey2010-08-19 23:14

    1st - simply amazing pictures, thanks I don't think I've ever seen a hoe around here that hasn't had it's tail all beat up, much less just a few scratches. I look at how much money these cost and see how badly some treat them, the outside beat to hell and the interior trashed, baffles me. These cost more than most peoples home...I often wonder if their house has mud all over it, broken out windows, trash all over, cigarette burns in their furniture......and on and on

  24. #24245dlc2010-08-19 23:18

    Wow thanks for posting Vinny those are some sobering photos.

  25. #25cat 325ccr2010-08-20 00:47

    No problem guys

  26. #26cat 325ccr2010-08-20 00:52

    a few more

  27. #27cat 325ccr2010-08-20 00:54

    .....

  28. #28watglen2010-08-20 07:02

    Trying to understand what is going on here. I would say all those machines must be in each others way. Thinking about it a bit, I guess that work roads are out of the question, so the excavators must be casting to each other as they go? I would think that one of hef members works there. Maybe we can get a description of what we're looking at? Great pics for sure.

  29. #29Buckethead2010-08-20 09:45

    I never worked there in the city but I know around here if an operator takes 30 seconds to reposition the machine is such a way to not scratch the counterweight a foreman or superintendent comes running up throwing his hard hat on the ground and screaming "COME ON, COME ON, LETS GO, WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR", (with some other unprintable words) If you're the operator what are you going to do? :Banghead

  30. #30cat 325ccr2010-08-20 12:18

    When they collapsed in 01' every construction/demolition company rushed there. There were companies from Ohio, Michigan, and more. There were so many machines there in the next months. People were trying to be the first responders of the job. I believe it was Nacirema but Mazzocchi also said they were the first....just some info

  31. #31buckfever2010-08-20 18:35

    thats what happens when the guy running the crew isn't the guy paying the bills . we pay the bills and scraching a counterweight is not aceptable. our guys won't scrach there cars to park them don't scrach our equipment.

  32. #32Rabbitsmeller42010-08-21 00:38

    Awesome pictures!

  33. #33cat 325ccr2010-08-22 13:46

    Thanks! more of my pics, when you see the "cat966f" watermark, is my username on another forum so noone takes the pics and says its theirs

  34. #34cat 325ccr2010-08-22 14:10

    more of my pics

  35. #35cat 325ccr2010-08-22 14:17

    .....

  36. #36cat 325ccr2010-08-22 14:28

    more

  37. #37qball2010-08-22 21:10

    great pics of a tragic job.

  38. #38EGS2010-08-22 22:04

    x2

  39. #39frankenstein2010-08-22 22:37

    Wow, that is alot of iron...What an amazing site to be part of...pretty neat stuff and still when I see pic's of the destruction, it brings me right back to Sept 11,2001. I hope and pray that 20 years from now it still touches me the same way!

  40. #40cat 325ccr2010-08-24 18:33

    Rented a hotel room for Thursday into Friday, check back for pics- an over head view of the site

  41. #41cat 325ccr2010-08-26 23:23

    YouTube - Komatsu PC228 excavator with roto-tilt & road header

  42. #42mannix2010-08-27 00:49

    Great sharing !!

  43. #43cat 325ccr2010-09-02 23:01

    Sorry for the delay in pics and videos but I just finished editing all my videos so i will have all my pics of the excavators from my hotel room overviewing the site. So I have this in the meantime YouTube - Caterpillar 345CL excavator moving dirt with a hammer

  44. #44Joeniel2010-09-03 15:00

    So who ultimately became the lead demo contractor in the project, or was it so big there wasnt one?

  45. #45cat 325ccr2010-09-03 21:13

    pics i took from my hotel room

  46. #46cat 325ccr2010-09-03 21:15

    more to come!

  47. #47cat 325ccr2010-09-03 23:29

    ....

  48. #48cat 325ccr2010-09-04 12:54

    another video YouTube - Caterpillar 345BL excavator moving container

  49. #49cat 325ccr2010-09-04 12:59

    I say the main one when it collapsed was Mazzocchi but there were a lot more other contrtractors that noone knows about. Some of them even are out of business or closed their demo division

  50. #50diggerj2010-09-07 16:31

    Would love a go driving something this big !!

  51. #51larsyboy02010-09-12 20:40

    Really awesome pics!

  52. #52cat 325ccr2010-09-19 00:01

    Thanks! YouTube - Hitachi mini excavator working in a foundation

  53. #53cat 325ccr2010-09-25 13:53

    YouTube - CAT 385BL excavator loading 40 ton ADT bed

  54. #54kenny2852010-09-25 21:13

    There were 5 general contractors: - Turner Construction / Plaza Construction Joint Venture was in charge of the are between Tower 5 and 6. - Bovis Lend Lease was in charge of the southwest corner of the site. - AMEC Construction Management was in charge of the northwest corner. - Tully Constructoin took on the northeast corner. - Tishman Construction worked on Tower 7 demolition. In early 2002, Bovis was named the construction manager for the remainder of the WTC Recovery project. I know of the following demolition contractors that were on site: CDI Mazzocchi Wrecking Gateway Demolition DH Griffin Seasons Contracting Breeze National Big Apple Wrecking

  55. #55cat 325ccr2010-09-25 21:17

    ^ You work on any jobs over here?

  56. #56Marksan2010-09-26 06:58

    Thats a interesting statement.............................can you qualify it?

  57. #57cat 325ccr2010-09-26 10:12

    First qualify the reason for all the .'s

  58. #58stooky2010-09-26 10:51

    Just when you thought those excavators were tough....that crane is intense.

  59. #59mikef872010-09-26 20:48

    That's ridiculous if its blatant than thats one thing but accidents happen, a shiny paint job doesn't make the machine dig any faster.

  60. #60cat 325ccr2010-09-30 16:07

    YouTube - Excavators & wheel loaders working at the World Trade Center at night (timelapse)

  61. #61kenny2852010-10-01 19:00

    I do actually, in a management role.

  62. #62cat 325ccr2011-02-15 21:56
  63. #63cat 325ccr2011-02-15 21:58

    You can view all of my WTC pics here http://www.flickr.com/photos/vinschiano/sets/72157623485017567/with/5105797735/ btw rented a hotel viewing the east bathtub next Tues. and Wed. so expect more photos

  64. #64cat 325ccr2011-02-15 22:03
  65. #65Blacksmoke072011-02-16 18:37

    That 385c is a purrrrdy machine!!

  66. #66Balavto2011-02-18 04:15

    Great post!!

  67. #67cat 325ccr2011-02-19 13:05

    Thanks!

  68. #68stretch2011-02-20 20:09

    Manafort was there too, they had two Deere 800's that came straight from the factory in addition to some smaller machines.

  69. #69Beachbum02862011-02-21 20:54

    So what is the story with the Perini 385B? It looks like the stick has broken off. http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4149/5091612171_c97af2574a_b.jpg

  70. #70cat 325ccr2011-02-24 09:26

    they were loading the adt bed and the stick cracked, then (I'm guessing) they scrapped the stick and bucket because it was hauled out in a rolloff with scrap metal and other junk they dug up. Then they removed the machine from the jobsite

  71. #71jmoreland2011-03-08 09:07

    Great pictures thanks for sharing

  72. #72coorecat2012-02-19 21:57

    Great pictures cat325 I like the Komatsu 800 with the hoe ram the best(my backfill machine) and I'd have loved to see that 385 hoisted out of the hole.

  73. #73Diecastmania2013-09-11 21:45

    If anyone visits the WTC Visitor center/shop, There is a book there that is $30 and it is FILLED TO THE BRIM WITH EQUIPMENT PICS! Loads Of shots of MAZZOCHI's EX1200s!

  74. #74Diecastmania2013-09-11 21:49

    Also, Great Northern Corp, Manafort Brothers, Nacirema and tons others. You may want to check this out for more info http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hRPpva1ujE&list=FLhO5QjX6tkbPZaP9_jOGuPg&index=2

  75. #75nateberry12013-09-11 23:46

    Do you know the title of the book? Is it in the online book store for the shop? https://www.911memorial.org/catalog/books

  76. #76kevin37b2013-10-07 10:23

    If you aint scratched that paint , you aint doing much .

  77. #77Diecastmania2014-01-28 00:24

    tHe book might have been called rebuilding or something like that. It was big, thick, heavy, and had a black dust jacket. It was on display at the gift shop.

  78. #78Diecastmania2014-06-12 15:20

    I think this is it https://www.911memorial.org/catalog/aftermath-joel-meyerowitz.html

  79. #79Diecastmania2014-06-12 15:22

    These links might help. http://www.plainsite.org/dockets/4m...ordero-et-al-v-7-world-trade-center-lp-et-al/ List of companies involved and a close look http://www.implosionworld.com/wtc2.htm