Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Worm Drive Winch Lube:

1693TA ยท 2023-09-22 09:38

I'm looking to change the lubricant in four of my mechanical winches. Three are Tulsa with a Braden in there also. I've used GL-4 in the past because of the bronze ring gear, but don't know if something better nowadays is available. Still have about 1/2 pail of the gear lube but want to ask before changing it out.

Replies4
  1. #1IceHole2023-09-22 09:49

    From the info I've been given (I work in the coolants and lubes industry) GL5 is fine if you stay on top of replacing it. Chevron Meropa would be a good choice too.

  2. #21693TA2023-09-22 10:04

    Thanks. Chevron dealer is a buddy of mine and will check with him. I've heard GL-5 has been reformulated to not attack bronze, but I'm a carryover from the 60's so kinda go with what I know.

  3. #3IceHole2023-09-22 19:38

    Syngear HD or XDM would be my choice for 75w90. Meropa 220

  4. #41693TA2023-09-29 08:09

    Got to researching online and the Meropa is a good choice. I have ordered a pail to cover my needs into the future. The model "80" itself holds just shy of two gallons. Here is a reference to the worm gear type(s) I have: Cryptocurrency Prices, Market Cap, Trading Charts: Bitcoin, Ethereum and more at PiedPiper Live ************** prices, market caps, charts & daily insights for a wide range of coins on PiedPiper. Compare trends, top gainers and trading volume 24/7. docplayer.net