Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Worn main pin

cat 302 ยท 2023-07-30 23:25

I have a 94 cat 320L my main pin is completely sloppy. And loose to point I had to weld it on stop it from falling apart. Would ordering oversized sleeve and pin do the job?

Replies12
  1. #1skyking12023-07-31 00:06

    There are a whole lot of pins, which one? Boom to carbody, bucket to stick, stick to boom?

  2. #292U 34062023-07-31 00:21

    Been out of Caterpillar land for a while but I don't recall them having oversize pins/bushings. By the sounds of it you're past that point even if they do exist. More than likely you'll be pulling the boom and having a mobile machinist build up the worn bores and then line bore them back to spec for new bushings.

  3. #3Coaldust2023-07-31 00:22

    And some welding and machining and cussing and a wheelbarrow full of money. Good time to fix the cracked boom, too.

  4. #4cat 3022023-07-31 00:43

    I guess first step is to get things torn apart and see what is going on.

  5. #5cat 3022023-07-31 00:46

    It is the pin going into the bucket end of boom.

  6. #6Coaldust2023-07-31 00:50

    That makes a big difference. Easy Peazy.

  7. #7Nige2023-07-31 05:44

    There is no such thing as an oversized pin/bushing. The accepted form of repair is to build up and line bore the end of the stick and install new bushings. At that point a new standard size pin will work. Post a Serial Number I can come up with some parts illustrations and Part Numbers which will be useful even if you go for aftermarket parts as opposed to OEM.

  8. #8uptight excavating2023-07-31 18:57

    If I am wrong don't hesitate to shoot me down, BUT I always understood that it was called ALIGN boring not LINE boring because the boring process aligned everthing back in place. Just saying that's all. I will wait to see how long I survive without a beating. lol

  9. #992U 34062023-07-31 21:51

    I type "line bore" into Google and it spits out a big list of companies local to me that perform that service. Its the accepted term here, may be different elsewhere.

  10. #10skyking12023-08-01 00:00

    Yes the term is line boring, I had it done on a couple of bores on the 120 last year.

  11. #11uptight excavating2023-08-01 23:11

    Yep Should have seen this coming when I opened my big mouth. Around my parts we refer to it as align boring and if you google that there are lots of machine shops that offer it. Over and out.

  12. #12skyking12023-08-01 23:16

    no worries, no need to get uptight about it That pin and group of bushings is the last ones I have to do on the 120. They are loosey goosey.