Ok so what happens when one gets this worn, are there oversize trunion balls one can buy? This is the first 4way machine I have had worn this bad, it honestly doesn't hurt anything as it's a 7 with a U blade so it's not much of a finish machine anyways lol Pj
Yair . . . I've actualy built them up with weld and dressed them off to a template . . . reassemble with nuts just finger tight, lift blade up and down a couple of times dismantle and decide if you're going to dress a bit more off or add a bit . . . you sometimes have to lay a bit on the inside of the push arm if it's worn real uneven. It's pretty airy fairy and a good five/six hours a side on an eight . . . depends on what your labours worth. You used to be able to buy the new weld on castings for the push arms or "C" and buy a new ball and all and start again from scratch . . . I think these days that would be pretty spendy. Do Cat still put a shim pack in there so you can keep taking out the slack? Cheers.
I was running a D-8 and the trunnion was so badly worn the arm fell off. The mechanic took a torch and cut the cap on each side to tighten it up on the ball. I put a lot of hours on it until the job was done. I never did see the tractor after that. I don't if they ever did repair it properly like Scrub Puller advised.
One of the old tricks is to buy new caps (4-req'd) and burn off the old bearing seat and weld on a cap. Saves cutting into the push arms etc. Still have to build up or replace the ball.
Beat me to it, yep we used to do D8's that way. Usually not much wear on the caps sometimes get by with the ball and 2 new caps
You can take your caps off and grind the flat areas down so it will remove some of the slop.
powerjoke - I just did a D6R that was worn that bad, there's a place in Des Moines that I got the parts. I bought 2 trunnion balls, 2 caps, and 2 of the bearing inserts to weld into the push arm for $1200 which may sound like alot but those parts from CAT are over 3k.
H-E Parts?....I got new weld-in trunions and balls for the front of my 6c pusharms from them. Wasn't too expensive.
Please send over the contact info, cat is $1k per ball ! Lol the ole girl ain't worth that much trouble jk. Pj
Lemme ask y'all another question, Ive been buying all of my aftermarket parts from heavyquip and when I went to price grouser bar they was $78 for a 10' stick uncut and then I found Ford Steel which was $27 for the same 10' and they would even CUT IT! So that kinda leaves me looking for another source........ So short of the long, where do you guys buy aftermarket undercarriage at? Years ago I shoulda knew something was fishy when CaT beat heavyquip on u/c for a 953 and a 963 a while back. Pj
Last set of caps and trunion balls I got came from Regal.
http://www.h-eparts.com/ These guys seem to be pretty competitive
yep, that's them. Seem to be pretty good guys to deal with. I buy anything I can from them which has just been undercarriage/track frame stuff so far. I bought an entire undercarriage for a D6R LGP from them. CAT dealer noticed and said "good luck getting 1500 hrs out of that junk" It's got 1200 on it now and wearing great, no problems whatsoever. Trunnion balls for a 6R were $250 a piece from these guys.
I don't have an act with caterpillar online and can't view the parts breakdowns I guess does anyone have the part number I need ? It's a 79z machine, could anyone steer me in the right direction for a online part breakdown?
trunnion ball - 4T-5405 or classic # is 5J-4321 bearing cap - 6F-7523 or classic # is 325-6039 bearing insert - 1J-6740 bolts - 7X-0434 nuts - 6F-7522 shims - 9W-7602
I have CAT partstore but 777parts.net is an online catalog for CAT and some other brands. You have to pay for it though.
trunion balls I have 2 cat part number J-5462 LD S ABN weld on trunion balls do not know for sure what they fit. the guy i bought them from had a D6 that i was trying to buy at a auction.
Great thanks for all the good info guys, rj55 how big exactly ? I have been thinking of having a new oversize ball made and turning the ball off the flange leaving a shaft welding a new ball on etc.... I think it'll be too much work though lol, I'm gonna call h-e with the part no Wednesday see about a aftermarket....... Can u post a pic of the ball you have? Are they for push frames or a blade trunion ball ?
I hope these pics can help. It's from a few years ago and they're still holding up.
i have know idea how to post pictures. the largest size on the ball is 4 and 1 quarter. the weld on flange is 6 inches and the stub shaft is 3 inches in dia and 2 inches long the total length of the thing is 6 and one half inches.