Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

would a 230lc deere excavator be too much for a 35ton lowboy?

Oliver182 ยท 2014-06-16 13:28

Looking for an excavator and a local place has a nice looking 230 deere excavator. I have a almost new 35 ton detach that is rated for 70000 in 12' i believe. This would be hooked behind a daycab tractor. I havent weighed my tractor/trailer to see my tare weight but im going to guess with the 230 hoe i would be over 80K. On ritchiebros site it says the 230 would weigh 52400. I thought it might weigh a little more than that. Tandem axle tractor by the way. Being ove a couple thousand dosent bother me too much just dont want to damage anything. thanks

Replies4
  1. #1lumberjack2014-06-16 13:46

    It seems like you answered your own question, the trailer is rated for more than the machine weighs, and point loading won't be an issue.

  2. #2Oliver1822014-06-16 18:15

    I finally weighed my tractor/trailer and empty is around 32000. Add the hoe at 55000 which is what dealer said it would weigh would get you to 87-88000. Overweight by DOT standards but didnt want to abuse the trailer.

  3. #3still learn'n2014-06-16 20:37

    Well it all depends if you are going to be legal or not but a 230 would be over width and so if you are going to get an oversize permit it will be overweight to! In ks I get an annual permit good up to 120,000 if I can axle it and up to 16' 6" wide for $150! Have no idea if you can get such a permit in Iowa but if you could that would be cheaper than getting fined! Jerry

  4. #4lantraxco2014-06-17 00:16

    In Oregon you can get annual or temporary overweight permits within certain limitations. One thing that's a "Gotcha" though is you can't haul an extra bucket or hoe-pack or actually anything not bolted or pinned to the machine, has to be a single piece, "non-reducible" load. On the other hand if you have enough axles and tires you can get an "extended weight permit" for things like a Dump truck and pup or a transfer setup, up to 105,000 GVW Fun stuff.