single word, NO.
If you go faster than the laser can read and move the blade - what's the point of running laser?
Kind of depends. Are we trying to get more than a week or so out of the machine?
By the crowding power downs hydraulic fluid may not make a week.
Too painful to watch that idiot beyond 1:30 minutes. He must own the machine because no one in their right mind would allow an employee to operate like that. Can't imagine how he would attack a load of stone.
I like their slogan in the credits “do more with less” . Should read do less with more. A good operator with a bucket would do the same job in less time.
Why would you even use that video to "promote" your product, anyone can slam a machine into a pile and try to push out too much material, I feel bad for the machine, even though it is a Terex
guess I've been doing it wrong. Does this guy teach a class
I have a Cat BB 124 box blade for our 279's that has fully auto capability. First of all I wouldn't drag our blade out for such a small project, like Mobiltech said a good operator with a bucket could complete that small of a pad quicker. In order for it to be worthwhile to bring our Cat blade out to a job, the pad needs to be 6,000 SF or larger, otherwise it's faster and easier to get it to final grade by eye/feel and then check it with a laser to adjust. Second we have found out that in order to get the most out of the auto blade you need a dozer or another skid running ahead, fine grading by eye/feel - old school. The blade works the best and fastest cutting 1" or less. The biggest PITA is figuring out the compaction rate of your material so you can bench your blade correctly. This video goes to show that GPS and laser auto's still require a real operator to get the most of the technology and not kill the machine in the process.
Reminds me when I was a mechanic for an outfit ,the boss was complaining about how the older dozer operator was slow . He loved the young guy that was almost getting thrown out or the seat he was going so fast. I told him to come back at the end the day and see what was done. When he came back the older guy had about 4x the amount of work finished . All the boss said was “WOW”.
I was absolutely thinking the same thing.
I don't run skidsteer beyond my own (seldom) personal use, and I've never run a blade, but I have been around them a lot. Every operator I've ever seen will spread out the pile with a GP bucket first, and then put on the screed for fine grading afterwards.
I see the video is from NZ, and we do see a lot of laser screeds here, so I'll try and explain why they're so common. NZ is a bit of an earthquake prone country, so we build with that in mind. Instead of traditional foundations, we normally use raft slabs where possible. That starts with a flat sand or pumice base, with polystyrene "ribraft" pods sitting on top of that, then reinforcing and concrete slab. What you see in the video is a typical residential building platform in NZ, there will be no excavations into that for footings.
No one on that job is safe with him around!!
I'm surprised the roller operator didn't run into him. He cut right in front of him. A bucket with a decent operator would be twice as fast. Seems like the guy is trying to show off for the camera or something. I've seen it many times where someone inexperienced hops in a skid steer and figures they're going to show everyone else how it's done in record time. Operate like that for a week (if you're still employed) and you'll probably need traction to fix your back.
Looked good to me.
not just no hell no looked like me back in day too many irons in fire ,or cat trying to cover it ha ha!
Only made it :32 seconds ... and I vote no hire
I'd hire him..... to make how NOT to videos
There you go good positive attitude!
At least he'd be doing something he's good at..
Finally,an era where the iron is smarter than the "driver"(meat in the seat),not sure what we've accomplished by that though.That engine will throw a rod at that rate.
Partys like a rental
I'm tell'in you guys it looks good to me, that's dirt track racing at it's best. Look at all the entertainment that's been had.
cmon you guys are gonna give that super op. a complex
I guess all the money was spent on the laser grader so they had to cut costs somewhere.
Definitely wouldn't hire him if that's his full 'skillset'. I didn't like the lack of checking before reversing, and just the general abuse on the machine. Who knows...might be able to train them up though? This job could have definitely been done with a bucket with a lot less abuse, and probably faster. Like others, we won't break out the box on pads under 5k. Efficiency has always been my priority. Id rather move one full bucket, than 2 or three partials.
Now I wish we could hear from the guy in the video. I’d like his side of the story.
For giggles I looked up the name on the excavator boom and it comes back to a company in New Zealand. I am sure that somebody on here might know him.
I am pretty sure he made a few posts in the Youtube comments thread, but his name is not highlighted as he was not the one that uploaded the video.
One of the 'defenders' of the motocross race said it was a 'first time driver' running the terex...
The old adage about the problem being a loose nut, behind the wheel, springs to mind...
Im more concerned with the fact that they are using a Terex! Parts are going to be a B%$#@!
Now, I usta be young once too. I remember watering a motocross track in Anchorage back in the late 70's using a Kenworth water truck cranking it over the moguls. Without power steering when you touched a sand berm the steering wheel would take off spinning about 40mph - broke many fingers with manual steering. When I got back to the starting line I got a standing ovation, now in hind sight they were most likely clapping out of amazement that I hadn't gotten stuck. Can't fix stupid ya just got to let it grow up and hope and pray they don't kill themselves or someone else until they learn or they crash and burn.
fat dan you must have kids your still raiseing i do too and see the stupid stuff i did every day relive the past in them, i grew up maybe they will to with out hurting there self and someone else. i liked your coment thank you live an learn has never changed
I think most of us would admit to having had days or jobs where it’s a good job no-one was filming. Then there’s the ones who don’t realise there’s one less good operator than they think there is.
Let's see here, Didn't run over or into anything, not standing around chewing the fat or making excuses... (I can't because I need a loader, I can't because I don't have a dozer, I need a blade, and what is a "bucket")(Let me see here, I've operated a Komatsu D66s that had a bucket, a Cat 426 that had a front and a back bucket, an Excavator (CAT 235, JD backward control, ground hitting POS, CASE doesn't matter) that had a bucket, Skidsteers that had a bucket, an 80 Ton friction Crane that had a bucket and I've bailed water With a bucket) I'm a little confused by what "A bucket with a decent operator would be twice as fast" means. >shrudge< waaa waaa waaa my ass! the skidsteer was made to Work Hard! as is every piece of equipment, same for the poor hyd fluid that won't make it a week. Really!? (any substantiating documentation on this?) I suppose the coolant might get too hot also. Or... hey, here ya go... the grease can't take the shock when he slams into the material pile balls-out! Safety? If your on a job site where heavy equipment is operating you damn sure better stay out of the work area unless your authorized! its not a break room, Its a WORK ZONE! Pay attention! (anyone know what "balls out" means, or where the saying originated)? I'll educate ya... refers to the governor on a steam engine. Wide-open! Full throttle! Peddle to the metal... No excuses! Get the hell out of my way, I've got a job that needs doing! Would I hire him? Hell Ya Id hire him! He's my kinda guy! Only problem is, he won't be around long, that slamming up and down in the seat will destroy his back in just a few year's time. buy him a beer to numb the pain & give him another job.... my kinda guy...
wow
I agree, just WOW!!, I now know who I would not hire or recommend for any work!!
Reminds me of a story about a young bull and an old bull...... Here in the video you see the young bull.
If you slow down you will get a more harmonious outcome was always my favorite
I want the VIN # of that machine. I wouldn't want to own it ever.
Just going by what the equipment representative said about their operator... On any job we have subbed at we would be asked to leave the job if any safety guys saw one of our operators running like that.... that's just how it works in the real world
Your point of view on that operator is beyond pathetic. Especially the part about educating us.
You can still be running a piece of equipment "balls out" without beating the ever living **** out of it. I don't think the hydro fluid or antifreeze gives a rats ass how that guy runs it, but the boom, bucket, attachments, tracks, pumps, valves, and track drives probably would tell a different story....running "balls out" also doesn't have to mean you're slamming into piles and constantly making hard turns and spinning the tracks....spinning tracks/tires means nothing is getting done but wear and tear....smooth is fast, fast is smooth....I don't operate like that guy, but have been told by others that "you run that thing balls out".....
His lopsided idea of "balls out" is very different from my point of view. I ran dozers balls out when necessary for years and never ever abused the machine that was making my pay check. Of course that had nothing to do with getting over 15 new, never run before dozers over the years.
I started and finished a little job, today. First hour was real easy, just moving about 15 tons of topsoil, that the cust had a "stone shooter" shoot, downhill, int his back yard, with the ASV RC-30, Then I graded out the former jungle, with the dirt bucket, and land leveler fer about an hour, then moved a 1000+lb hunka sandstone, from the middle of the back yard, to the back corner, about a 60-75' twist&push affair. Last hour or so, I went over the whole back yard, with the harley rake, All level and mow-able, no laser guidance needed, and drove home with cash in my pocket! No damage to me or MY machine... I'd a hated to see that guy tearing up MY machine!
I have an extra son gets more done in a day than any other operator I've known. No GPS accessories, he uses his eye, and the seat of his pants. Organization is his secret weapon. No motion is ever wasted. He spreads sand in the electrical ditch, while reaching for the next scoop, he's leveling the land near the ditch. You never hear a clanging noise, mostly steady engine noise. With a loader, a little pause when changing direction. When his machines need something they get it.
Is one thing to be Fast Deliberate and Effective another to be Fast to Extreme as well abusive.
I found myself intrigued by the question at hand so I had to watch the first half of the video. Never seeing or using this type of equipment before I ended up watching other videos of this style of leveling equipment. It seems like his approach is better suited for a regular bucket. I have seen others use clam shell buckets quickly and effectively for leveling projects. This looks like he is ramming an expensive electronically controlled leveling blade into piles. No way it can work correctly with the front float wheel trapped/locked up in a dirt pile. Can you rent these? I have a large grading project in my back yard I need to complete. It will have to be grated properly for drainage, but might get the old one eye squint grade test. In all seriousness I might stretch a string and hold a level up on the air, 'Yep, looks good'
Most of the time I don't need the string and level...
The old way was grade stakes set & marked by two people. Add or subtract material to get it close to grade without moving the stakes. Once material is close to where it needs to be, smooth it out.
That's still how we do it. Mostly GPS for layout and elevation. One good thing about the GPS on a water and sewer job, you can bury all your structures in your inch and a quarter gravel, do your fine grade, then find them with the GPS after to raise them before you pave. Smaller jobs, they still use the survey level and rod.. I have never ran a machine with GPS control, but I have been told that it will pay for it self in a short time on large jobs.
For flat or in plane lots we'll stake it out with hubs but for stuff like this front yard I did a few days ago it's just a freehand/feel kind of job...
Looks nice! My limiting factor might be the amount of fill I can get. The whole area I am working is super low. I am cutting a driveway in and plan to steal all the topsoil from that area. Unfortunately it probably won't be enough. It's a good excuse to add a dump truck to the list of toys??
This is what I use.
you had a couple to many last night
Or just enough.
When you have the "eye" or the "bubble level in your butt" that type of job is quite enjoyable. Nice work.
Private work is by eye, unless the owner is wanting to run water up hill. One of my biggest pet peves are these contractors that build homes or garages for people, and never give a thought to running water away. I love it when there is less than an inch drop from the garage floor to the road. Most designed contracts, the engineers get excited when you don't use grade stakes. I have a great working relationship with most of the DOT guys in this district. The government surveyor will give me shoulder stakes on narrow roads. If he could get away with it, he'd let me go with no stakes at all. I've had a few out of town inspectors that would demand center stakes on 20 foot roads. Great pushing a 14 footer through a 10 foot hole.
We've had guys on jobs that thought they were farmers and would keep plucking those 'carrot stakes' out no matter how fast we'd plant more...
We worked on an Indian reservation. Water, sewer, curb and gutter. The Band wouldn't allow machinery running before 8am. Every morning, all the stakes in the intersection would be gone. Not just knocked down, but gone. One morning, one of the guys was there early, and waiting for us to come. 2 little girls waiting for the bus, were pulling the stakes, and dropping them down the storm drain. We pulled the grate off, and it was full of the missing stakes.
you haven’t posted on here before under a different name, have you? In connection with a burnt out 299?
Think it's somebody who may be on here with a different name but is on another forum and coming here to stir the pot over a difference of opinion. Something only a coward would do.
Do NOT have to worry about that here. I've never seen a lot with less than 20 feet of pitch. Sometimes that 20 feet is one side of the house to the other. Mrs. B wouldn't believe me. I priced a generator install. The parking was 30 feet wide, trucked in gravel. Parking was 30 feet in elevation down a steep driveway off the development road. From the parking, it was 10 steps down to a bridge. Cross the bridge, a few more steps down, then a landing. Turn 90 degrees, two more steps down. Cross a deck to enter the third floor of a ski house. In 100 feet from the road this thing was at least 80 feet of vertical. I would have nightmares of rolling over in bed, falling 2000 feet to the front lawn.
Guys, we've taken notice of our new member and are watching closely. Please let us handle it. If he is here for illicit purposes engaging him is exactly what he desires.
He does seem to be a fan of Welder Dave.
You’re no fun.