Saw this on Kajiji today.
No way not for a 5500 200 grand is already high Only a true class 8 with 10000lbs crane should be around 300 grand
Rediculous. 5 years ago that'd have bought you a little KW or Freightliner.
I saw that ad awhile ago. Was wondering if someone built it and lost a contract or figured they can't afford it and trying to make a profit on it.
YIKES!!!!!
Crazy thing is a quarter mill just gets you in the seat of a plain, base model F-550/5500 these days. There was a HUGE shortage of cab & chassis trucks back in late 2020/2021. Supply & command.
My $250K looks a lot different than that.
I’m glad I put mine together brand new in 2018 for $85k
Seen quite a few ad's from auto source, all the truck are in miles. I'm assuming they are importing from the states and trying to make a hefty buck. All prices i've seen are absolutely stupid compared to any local dealer, no idea how they sell anything.
Prices are absolutely stupid around here. Ten years ago one of my co-workers decided he was going to go out on his own. Brand new fully loaded F-550 and I think he said it was under $150k.
Building a 550 right now when I get done I should have less than 40 grand in it and have a 7000lbs crane i would call that a win
That's funny!
Full electronified high performance diesel engine, exactly what is needed in a bug out situation.
Last employer just got a quote from Pete on a new Day cab Tandem Tractor, X15 Cummins, Eaton semi auto trans, Pete air ride $269,000, few to any other options. Flattop Sleeper unit $285,000, Aero Sleeper $329,000. Dodge dealer got my DOT Inspect done at, 5500 4x4 Cummins, C&C sitting on yard NO BED, $106,and change, NO discussions or dickering, Priced as will sell it.
I want to say last I heard that service trucks are running almost 300k USD these days equipped with the standard bed, crane, Miller APU for air/hyd/weld.
You ain't seen anything like stupid pricing, until you've seen Landcruiser pricing down under here. This dual-cab Landcruiser is 4 years old, has 83,500 kms (52,000 mi) on the clock, and he's asking AU$230K for it!! But of course, it does have a few neat accessories .... https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/de...ser-gxl-manual-4x4-double-cab/SSE-AD-14089016
If I figured right its almost $160,000 US. So is that mostly upgraded stuff kind of like what the Skid Factory guys build down your way?
No, the Skid Factory guys are "social media" gurus who provide entertainment and merchandise, as well as doing "projects". The 4WD upgrade business is big business here, and the companies doing that line of work concentrate on upgrades to everything from chassis' to axles, suspensions, engines, fuelling, interiors, lighting, etc. Most of the companies just specialise in a few related lines of upgrade, such as suspension and chassis, or fuel injection. Most are starting to realise the benefit of having a "social media" presence and making a few videos for entertainment to boost their business - but many of them simply rely on regular large customers such as mining companies, who spend like drunken sailors. The Skid Factory guys are simply largely intent on the money-making potential of global entertainment, it blows a lot of people away when you see "influencers" make millions overnight, just producing video entertainment, often with little real value. Kind of like the crap entertainment videos on Farcebook that string you along with a drawn-out storyline, that is just straight-out time-wasting.
OK, thanks for explaining OzDozer. I appreciate the Thoroughbred Diesel video's on installations of pick up truck upgrades. Since I'm not a mechanic I find them handy.
It's not just Facebook. I open the internet on my phone and see what look like interesting story. I click on the slide show and it drags on and on while you're waiting to find out what happened. When you finally get to the end there is a disclaimer at the bottom, this story is fictitious and for entertainment purposes only. You want to leave a comment but you can't. Very annoying.
Would have thought Environuts would be on them pretty hard Down Under for Engine mods.
What's this one worth by the appraising crew on here-it has all the options including a pop out shower.
Have you heard from RZ of late? How is he if have?
Nope.
There's plenty of open rural and remote areas of Australia where law enforcement as regards emissions is pretty relaxed. However, if you visit the cities and throw out "visible smoke for more than 10 continuous seconds", then you can expect to receive a defect notice which gives you 10 days to rectify the problem, then get it inspected by an authorised inspection shop, so that it meets emissions. There's a good trade in EGR blank-off plates here, and I'll wager only 1% of the vehicles with them, get pulled up. But faulty or worn injectors are more likely to see you pinged. Nissan diesels are the biggest offenders, if you see a trail of black smoke, you can be pretty sure it's a Nissan laying it.
I received a 2022 F350 pickup with snowplow a little over a year ago at work, we're a municipality and we use the NY State bid system. I had been trying since January 2022 to order a twin to it, they weren't available to order until early November 2022 and the identical truck is $15,000 more under the same State Bid system. A neighboring town had a similar pickup on order since spring and it was cancelled by the manufacturer, they ended up buying one off a dealer lot. I've just recently started to see SuperDuty trucks on dealer's lots again but they are charging MSRP plus a $2500 premium. Seems to be the same at every dealer. I'm not sure things will normalize anytime soon.
My wife can’t buy a garbage truck for her small city. The dealers won’t even talk to her due to her bid constraints while larger, more prosperous cities and commercial customers can afford to pay the higher than state bid prices.
Which is a fleecing of the tax payer.
Some of those state bid rates are so low, the only reason to sell at that price is to make your gross look better EOY, and sometimes the mfr helps. But if you can't get all you need for more profitable customers, I would not want to let a production spot go for a state bid price either.
When the county my property is in bought a D6N they got about 100K off the price. Cat has special discounts for municipalities. They actually liked the Komatsu better but Cat also has rebuilt exchange components for a lot less than Komatsu. They said they couldn't do anything with the JD once it had a full blade and the Komatsu would just boil the blade and keep pushing. The Cat was somewhere in between. I think they got differential steering. I guess vehicle manufacturers don't have gov't. pricing unless you're buying multiple units.
Truck shop, I was willing to make an offer on this unit but I noticed it has a pedestal mounted winch instead of a boom mount. Those are hard on winch motors if you don’t leave slack in the cable when you put it down on the stand. Don’t ask me how I learned that. As with all the rest of your work I’ve seen on here, that’s very nice work.
Very nice, but I like the old pole cat, I think that is what they were called with the winch on the end of the boom, that way extending the boom no adjustment needed.
my mother in law used to do the purchasing of the heavy equipment for the county she works for. Each purchase was up to the dealers to sharpen their pencils on if they wanted it and a smart dealer would let the machine go for cheap because the parts and service for said machine (especially for landfill machines) would be a lot more profitable than any initial machine sell price.
Apparently the discount was from Cat. Finning may have gave a discount as well.
My ex salesman that is now VP of sales told me many years ago that Cat has muni pricing that depending on the machine is cheaper than they can buy them for. He also told me they can break even on a retail sale as the parts and service is where they make their money. At least here in AL most truck and equipment manufacturers have the same deal. Muni's and counties can buy new KW, Pete and Mack tri-axles cheap enough to buy new every year, send them through the JM Wood auction and actually make money. Doesn't make sense to me.
I’d be willing to wager we’d all die if we knew the kickbacks those manufacturers were getting from the government for giving them such good deals.
A lot of counties and muni's would be running pretty old equipment if they had to pay close to retail price. I was shocked by how big of a discount it was. I don't think Komatsu or JD had near the same discounts.
Link to JM Wood's site - https://www.jmwood.com/50th-Anniversary-Spring-Auction-Montgomery-AL_a58131 Several 2022 dumps on the auction block mostly gov't owned. Must be nice..
The speculation on why equipment isn't available to public service is dead on. When Ford was having the computer chip supply problems they were very limited in the number of trucks they could produce and because of the very low profit margin they limited the number of trucks available to us on state bid. Our ordering window closed very quickly while retail sales could still be ordered for months following. On the 2022 model, the price was 25 to 30% below MSRP. The 2023 was just 9% under. I ordered a 2023 Transit Connect for my custodian and it was about the same 9%. Prior to these supply problems I could get that amount on personal purchases, now it's a few percent OVER MSRP.
I bid on a govt job a couple years back, we supply and install the equipment which we had in stock but factory 26 week lead time, job needed to be done in 8 weeks or so. 2 other contractors called me and I gave them the price on the equipment that we had in stock, they bid the job their way. One other contractor came out of nowhere did not call me. We bid the job for $36k, second place bid for $35k buying it from us, third place $60k buying it from us hoping to make big money. 4th place bid the job at $25k, they must have gotten some kind of deal on the equipment. None of us could figure out how they did that but they got the job. I suspect some kind of shenanigans with mfr as stated above.
Sometimes on gov't. bids they will either throw out exceptionally low bids or even ask the low bidder if they want to re-evalute their bid. My former neighbor was kicked off a big gov't. job and there was a big lawsuit. I did some welding on that job and it took about 3 month's to get paid. Reading the court documents online the gov't. asked him and his partner (needed for bonding) on the job if they wanted to submit a new bid because their bid was a fair amount lower than the next bid. They assured the gov't. they could do the job for their original bid. It got real ugly and there was a major falling out between the 2 partners, hence the big lawsuit. It was 400K+ job that should have been a 500K+ job.
The sad part is even if you want to spend the money there is nothing available. We are looking at geting another truck and every one i talk to will not have anything until end of year.
No wonder why it cost $3000 to have the Deere guy come out to fix my front axle seal.
Call outs are about $1,500 minimum these days without doing any repairs.
Fabick Cat is and has been $1000 field service NO Repair time for a year or more. Local Deere dealer has nobody for field service, have a driver go out and haul back regardless where from or at.
All the dealers in my area were at $1,000 call out five years ago when I left the Cat dealer. I know wages and fuel have sky rocketed so I'm just guessing at the $1,500 number.
IIRC from the last guy I spoke with, that $1k is the truck, mechanics hours start as clock in on ticket to leave the shop. Fabick is at $170/hr now.
Just glad my days are coming to a close. tired of it.
With those huge costs to come look, I bet that helps the independent mechanics a bunch.
I’m not having any trouble getting busy down here. Once I got out and met some folks and got a few people to give me a chance things have gotten busy. I hear the same story everywhere. Dealer sucks, is too expensive, and is 3 weeks out.
I'm guessing it must be hard to keep good guys at dealers these days. I know I'm 10x happier wrenching for a small company than I ever was at one of the major dealer chains. I know I was a miserable prick a lot of the time I was at the last dealer lol.
$1000 to come out and look? That is insane. I could see like $500 minimum or charge your hourly rate from the time you leave until you're back at the shop. $1000 is a lot just to show up. Overhead on a service truck is less then a shop has.
$1,000 is just to drive out and come back at hourly rate. Rate here when I left the dealer was $165 an hour. That's $1,320 per eight hours. Mileage on the trucks are around $3.00 per mile. On top of that you have miscellaneous hardware charge, environment charge and sales taxes if applicable. So $1,500 is probably a good estimate for a minimum.
One thing I've never liked about a service truck--it's wrecked and your out of business, waiting for insurance to settle. Because finding another right away-probably not.
Hmm $1500 for service calls and no one wants to hire me cause either I'm too old, been out of work too long, deemed me too crazy or no credentials to prove who I am. Sounds like I need to get back into my mobile mechanic/welder days, except commercial fishing vessels and agriculture it's agriculture and whatever else comes up. Slap a service body on and paint it up on my M939A2 and get advertising for around $500, surely could get to wherever the equipment is broke down. This is middle of nowhere so not much overhead.
My local Deere dealer was jumping. Lots of inventory. Lots of product going out the door. $500,000 grader / snowplow.
Pretty sure that my dealers are $165 /hr and $5/mi, just to drive the truck. It's cheaper for me to lowboy the machine to the dealer, in the rare event that I can't figure it out From years ago, I remember the mechanic being 1/2 rate plus mileage for driving.
If one of ours fails within a 225 mile radius, it's way cheaper for me to fire up the tow truck and drag it back then call a road service. Average road service just to replace a air brake chamber-$900.
If i could get a gig replacing one chamber a week i would be set .
I’ll take 6 a day 5 days a week
A lot of shops have a higher rate for a service truck than the shop rate.
Seems like some places don't pony up enough to make field work worth it. Last place I was at I think field premium was about $1.50/hr extra. To have to deal with logbooks, DOT, etc and then being expected to work out in 35 below, 35 above, rain, snow etc it just stopped being worth it for me. Loved being in the truck but after my 3rd year at that place I handed in my keys and went into the shop.
It's turned into buzzards work-and people are upset at the price of parts in other posts on here. Anything over 250 for a call out is a total screwing.
Yeah, unless it's a long way away which is my problem if I needed a service truck to come out. I'm an hour away out in the boonies.
If you took 3 weeks vacation a year and i could fill in for you that would be ok but i would need to use your truck and tools. I can provide references .
Problem is I end up redoing 45% of service call repairs, that's real profitable.
I worked at a place were the trucks had pumps to unload fuel trailers . Every pump set up had a problem and the last one they had installed was unusable so i redid it. They bought another used truck and before it went to the pump shop i went through it getting it in top shape . I thought i would mount the pump and use all the stuff i had learned on the bad instalations to make this one better . I was nervous about doing it but though it couldnt be any worse than what they had payed for in the past. I took my time and it turned out good . The Driver who had told 20 plus years in told me it was the smoothest running pto pumps he had used. I bet i did that work for a 1/4 or less than they had payed before.
You’re hired!