https://youtube.com/shorts/XcHWceclS3Y
Shame on the mess!
*** are Caterpillar diggers really that bad?
Deleted.
Maybe they were bought for parts!
That's an expensive insurance claim
Rode out a storm at sea?
Sure is what it looks like. I have seen first hand a machine that I am 99.99% sure came off the ship in question in the video. That is all I can say about it for now.
Looking forward to hearing more.
Years ago I had to shepard a container stacker to be shipped to South America somewhere. When it got there, the steering cylinder was badly damaged from the tie down chain that someone wrapped around it to keep it tied to the deck of the ship. They tried to say that I missed it in the inspection. I sent them copies of the reports and all the photos showing that cylinder was intact. Later I got the story showing the ship hit a storm on the way south. Someones insurance paid the bill. Just not mine.
Had a trucking company do that to a machine once. Of course the thing was booked to leave on a rental as soon as it showed up. A half an hour with a flap disc and a MIG and it was ok enough to last a couple days until the new cylinder arrived.
So they haul equipment across the ocean in the open air? Any time an ad shows equipment being loaded or unloaded on a ship, it's being run inside a cavernous a ro-ro ship. Gives me a warm fuzzy feeling to know millions of dollars in equipment, some of which my boss could end up owning, has the possibility of a saltwater bath even when there's not a deck demolition derby.
I don't know that it'd be much different than hauling it job site to job site in winter. All that salt and de-icing spray getting all over it. At least it'll probably get a wash at its destination, unlike when it gets hauled around everywhere.
One of the rear posts on my ROPS is pushed out and actually split the square tubing a couple inches. I figure it had to have got water in it and froze. Oddly or perhaps thankfully there are no signs of major rust anywhere. Not sure how water could get in the tube. I've seen some military loaders for sale that had pretty bad cancer around the cab and some other area's.
JD that would explain a few things I've seen too.
Cat machines from overseas (and many times domestic) get a heavy coating of Fluid Film and get a good power wash at the receiving dealer. I have never any seen any corrosion issues from normal shipping.
I’ve seen lots of tube component sections on various things that had water intrusion and then froze and bulged or split. Hard to believe a small crack or pinhole could let much water in but over the span of years and powerwashing it can happen. I wish i had taken pictures
I'm a firm believer in keeping equipment clean. I bag on rental machines a lot because they tend to get ran hard. That said they do get cleaned a lot more often and it shows. Heck of a lot less rusty panels, pipes and fittings on the average rental unit than on a similar machine owned by a company.
hell a lot of places won’t drop bellypans until it’s time to fix something and it causes issues. I’ve replaced several oil pans due to dirt building up, packing around, and sanding a hole in it.
I live by two sea ports which are major shipping points for all asian manufacturers. Thousands of machines have come through both the Seattle and Tacoma ports over the years. The machines are off loaded and then sit in the port until cleared and then trucked to holding lots for dispersal through out the rest of the country. I've never seen any new machine get washed at all until they get to the dealer lots and most of the time, they don't get washed there either until after the what little goes for pre-delivery is completed and many times, not even then. Basically, the paint is new and many times still green. Everything has been greased and water intrusion is slight if anything. The trip across the ocean is a non event when considered in the life cycle of the machine.