Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Wrenchbender Digging?

wrenchbender ยท 2007-03-17 19:05

Well I got to play in the dirt/mud today. We had a little drain problem so I ask one of my customers if he would dig a pit for me. Well he said there's the machine and here's the keys.I offered to pay the going rate for rent but he wouldn't have it. You have to remember I'm not an operator so this took about allday. Now I'm finished I dug the pit put 16 tons of #57 gravel,more drain lines, red rosin paper and covered it up.The machine is a 580K Case Backhoe W/extendahoe. My customer wont take any cash so I gave the backhoe a quick service including oil & filter change new air filter and fuel filter. In the morning I'll refuel it and carry it back. And try one more time to pay him.

Replies11
  1. #1jperfect2007-03-17 22:40

    that is great. you are a man of integrity:drinkup

  2. #2wrenchbender2007-03-17 23:02

    I don't know bout that, But I really do appreciate the use of his tractor.

  3. #3Grader4me2007-03-18 12:28

    So did you enjoy playing in the dirt and did it get easier for you as the day went on?

  4. #4Dozerboy2007-03-18 16:58

    I just want to know how it felt to say clean for a full day or did you go roll in the mud every now and again?

  5. #5wrenchbender2007-03-18 20:56

    Great Day... and a Half Grader, I really loved it man I had a ball and yes it did get easier as the day went on. Actually I enjoyed it so much that today before I took it back I dug a trench about a 100' long. It even had a little fall about 5" on a 100' run of coarse I had a few places I had to fill in before I put the pipe in. Man I see why operators enjoy their jobs so much now. Dozerboy, it felt good to not get filthy greasy and still do a days work ( play ) in my case. I like trying to operate this stuff What took me a day and a half would probly take an operator 3 or 4 hours but I'm happy as a dead pig in the sunshine!

  6. #6Countryboy2007-03-18 23:50

    You have now been bitten by the operating bug. They don't make a cream for the itching so just scratch the ground instead. The itching never goes away by the way.

  7. #7Grader4me2007-03-19 06:00

    Welcome to the wonderful world of dirt :drinkup

  8. #8Squizzy246B2007-03-19 07:31

    Hey Spanner Spinner...get back in ya workshop an look busy...next you'll be wanting my job.. I essentially went from building up buckets to wearing out buckets...I gotta tell ya...wearing em out is much more fun...when they invent air conditioned cabs for welders I might go back...yeah right. ointhead Glad you had some fun.

  9. #9wrenchbender2007-03-19 07:50

    Thanx, and it was fun and as for the air condition cabs for welders we got'em about three months out of the year here. I'm a little to old to be swaping professions now I think my next magor job change will be retirement.That's if the wife will allow it lol Welcome to the wonderful world of dirt Hey Grader, I like this stuff it's easier to reshape than metal .

  10. #10fhdesign2007-03-19 09:23

    Another benefit is a little seat time will probably make you a better welder, it makes it easier to understand why or how someone breaks something you have to repair, and you may find yourself going at some repairs a little differently.

  11. #11wrenchbender2007-03-19 22:23

    That's a fair asumption but I know more about how the machine works than I'll ever know about working it. There fore I repair or rebuild as if it were a tank in a war zone and our only hope of survival. If it needs a 3/16" bead i'll give it at least a 1/4" or more or requires a brace if I can fit in two I will. Most of the repairs are from years of use rather than abuse. But as for the seat time I'll try to use this as an excuse to get more of it. Cause it's cool to play in the dirt.