Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Wtb weld on top mount for thumb cylinder

Im-not-guilty ยท 2021-03-07 20:30

Trying to get a pin on thumb on my cat 304.5. It does not have to top cylinder mount on the boom Searched all over for someone that sells the mount I can weld on but no luck Anyone point me in the right direction??

Replies9
  1. #1MinnesotaDave2021-03-08 15:41

    You may be looking for something specific to your machine instead of just a standard hydraulic cylinder mount? Anyone who welds it on for you should also be able to make the mount - that's what I would do if you brought it to me without a mount.

  2. #2Midnightmoon2021-03-09 20:32

    I can send you specs of the one I have send me a pm

  3. #3Tugger22021-03-09 21:49

    Are you planning on running straight pin on buckets?Not sure how well a standard thumb will work running on your stick pin with that bucket rotator. Theres a lot of extra distance from the pivot point to the cutting edge.

  4. #4Tinkerer2021-03-10 09:54

    The top mount that I made for my t/l/b was quite easy to fabricate out of 1" plate. That bucket you have will be a challenge to put a pin-on style thumb. Here is a decent pin on hydraulic thumb. https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Direct-Link-Hydraulic-Thumb-for-CAT-304C-CR-/113690546168

  5. #5Im-not-guilty2021-03-30 18:08

    I had to ditch the idea of keeping the tilt coupler

  6. #6gwhammy2021-04-04 19:39

    Build one, most anyone with any experience can help you.

  7. #7Tinkerer2021-04-05 14:13

    You could keep the tilt coupler and install a thumb that uses a lower mount that is welded on the dipper. By lower mount I mean that is a bracket where the tine is pined on. You could have a mechanical thumb or a hydraulic. It just depends on how much time and money you want to spend. Mechanical thumbs are quite easy to remove.

  8. #8gwhammy2021-04-05 18:55

    Last exc. had a add on cheap thumb. I cut all the brackets off and used a longer cylinder on it. Put it all on a 3/8 plate about a inch narrower than the boom. Real easy to make it on the plate then weld the plate on the boom. Kind of spreads the load out some to.

  9. #9Tinkerer2021-04-06 09:38

    I used a new hydraulic cylinder that is the nearly the same size as the bucket cylinder. I am quite satisfied with what it can do. I have read too many times that undersized cylinders were installed with disappointing results.