Some people lean on me very hard to buy XADO engine oil treatments. They tell me some truly incredible stories that I, a skeptical person, want to believe, but find it very difficult to believe. Such as that worn work surfaces get covered by a ceramic glaze that restores their shape to like new. I am aware that, generally, various engine oil additives like this were snake oil in the past. Is that XADO any different? When I look at things such as amazon reviews, it is clear to me that they are almost meaningless, from people who cannot evaluate anything and did not evaluate anything. So... have you tried any XADO products? Have you evaluated them on some measurable, specific basis? Any feedback? Specifically, I have a rough terrain crane that works great, but has a lot of blowby and also burns and leaks a lot of oil. Oil smoke is visible in exhaust as well as leaks out of the engine at high RPM due to excess blowby pressure. About a gallon a day. I do not really care about it all that much, it is just $15 per working day. HOWEVER if I could fix it on the cheap, it would be great.
Never used them. To me that stuff just temporarily covers up a problem that really needs repaired. What engine do you have (make & model)?
+1. Snake oil. My attitude towards that kind of stuff is to take steps - big ones in the opposite direction..... Regarding your crane engine. You can fix it cheap or fix it right, but not both.
I wish i would have come up with some of the snake oil that is on the market today. The shop i work at does alot of oil changes they sell alot of lucas. I hate dumping that thick stuff in a good engine. If you had a engine that had seen better days maybe some 200 weight oil would help it last longer but why do it to a good engine.My shop teachers all most drilled it in to use good oil thats all you need. I worked for a older guy he had some old stuff some of it he got new. One dozer he had alot of trans problems with he put stp in it and it ran alot cooler he said. He was one of the smartest guys i ever worked for so i think it helped.
Cummins V504C. I do not really want an expensive fix, I am good enough with this engine leaking as it is and spending $15 per day adding oil.
Where is most of the engine oil leaking from? Valve covers, pan gasket, rear main or front? A little time resealing may make a lot less mess. Rear main is probably the least fun, pulling engine away. But certainly doable. You may have to try to clean it off really good (diesel to cut the old grime off- power wash- brake clean on the suspect areas) and then run it with the fan disconnected for a little bit to see where its coming from. A gallon in a days time in someone's parking lot isn't very nice. A gallon of oil on the ground looks like a huge mess. A coffee cup full and the wrong customer isn't real happy. A little engine restore isn't probably going to hurt anything on a tired old engine. But it isn't going to fix anything- it isn't going to make your blowby disappear.
I honestly forgot exactly from where, but it was from around the engine on the lower part when it was revving.
Sounds like the perfect test case, dump some in and let us know what happens!
I sort of agree with you here. I will take a video of the exhaust before and after. All those symptoms, like blowby, exhaust and oil loss, are easy to measure, at least roughly.
That expensive additive will end up in the blow-by and on the hood from the exhaust...…….that's what will happen. LOL
I've never seen a chemical fix for a metallic problem ever be successful. It's like taking vitamins to make you have a change in some way that you are feeling. Does it make a difference. Really, how would you know?