Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

XCMG 55 ecavator engine stalls when temp is below 45°F

jared7976 · 2025-11-19 15:10

I have an XCMG 55 excavator purchased brand new a couple years ago. It's been a great machine so far, until the temps dropped below around 45°F this fall. Now the engine randomly stalls, but starts right back up. As soon as the ambient temp gets above 50°, it runs beautifully. Engine temp makes no difference, still stalls at operating temp. Always starts right back up. New fuel filters made no difference.

Replies4
  1. #1Mobiltech2025-11-19 16:27

    Probably not related by your description but I would check the fuel tank vent to make sure it’s open and not drawing a vacuum.

  2. #2jared79762025-11-20 10:34

    I would think it would be hard to restart, or at least a long crank if that was the case.

  3. #3KSSS2025-11-20 17:21

    I have can't come up with a reason why that would do that. What engine does it have? The only suggestion I can come up with is to put some Power Service in the diesel and see if that helps. May be as it gets cold the diesel gets a little thicker. Why it would restart right away doesn't compute but it would be a cheap, easy experiment to see if it might work,

  4. #4Universal Parts2025-11-28 00:57

    The engine used is a Yanmar 4TNV94L. If the engine stalls intermittently without any fault codes and the display shows no fault codes, it is recommended to check the engine control unit (ECU).