Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Yanmar B17 new to me

mjpetersen ยท 2010-07-24 12:42

I have been looking for and at mini-ex's for about 8 months. i had limited my search to Kubota, Takeuchi and Yanmar. I looked a quite a few machines, but nothing that i saw made me willing to part with my money. The last couple of days I decided that I was going to have to go further afield to find something so I ventured out to look at a B17 Yanmar that supposedly had 2000 + hours, but when I got there it was 7400!! Well I guess 7's and 2's do look alike!:Banghead he had a second also for sale that had over 6000. Over all the machine was not bad, but the hydraulics were weak in my opinion. Yesterday I ventured out to look at a Takeuchi--very well worn, a second takeuchi TBO 15, but somethings were "cobbled together" on it that I do not like. Then this Yanmar B17 that looked fair enough from the pics, but 4000 hours. It turned out to be tighter, stronger, and more complete and original than anything else that I have looked at. It is not a cream puff in that it has been sitting in the weather for a long time, but it started right off and ran smoothly, had great quick hydraulics, the undercarriage is in great shape (except the track tread), and the guy had had it for so long that he was willing to cut a deal for cash money.:cool2 There is some slop in most of the main boom pins, but not excessive, except the bucket pin and bushing. The worst thing that it has been sitting and the rust on some parts is getting bad. It has run only 200 hours since August 2007--written on the oil filter. So an oil change is in order! This also had the speed limiter for the 2 speed as I wrote about earlier. I took the offending block out and it did have 2 speeds.:beatsme One funny thing is this. I had run it and warmed it up a bit. shut it off to check the rollers and such in the undercarriage, and when I was walking around the back of the machine and it peed on me. The thermostat housing to radiator hose broke and the pressure squirted antifreeze out in a stream that hit me in the moment that I was walking by. I had to buy it as it had "marked" me. If anyone has a lead on manuals (Owners, parts, and service) in English and in Europe I am all ears. Now for a Pic! Thanks for all the advice, guidance and patience with a newbie. Mike

Replies6
  1. #1Jam2010-07-24 16:10

    Best of luck with it... A small bit of tlc and she'l be lovely

  2. #2strott2010-07-25 16:30

    Quite a small front end for the B17 model - should mean impressive breakout force and power from the dipper and bucket. Give it a good wash and a polish and you'll be surprised how sweet it will look. Keep us posted.

  3. #3little_fellow2015-07-06 23:21

    Hi Mike. I just purchased a Yanmar B17. I am also without manuals. How did you make out in your search for some. I've searched the web with no luck.

  4. #4mjpetersen2015-07-07 07:54

    No I have not located any yet. I do have the parts manual sort of, from a dealer when I was trying to order a few things. I could send that you you if you send me your address. But service manuals I have not found. Mike

  5. #5little_fellow2015-07-07 15:59

    I could use the parts manual also. Can you send it by email . My email is [email protected] . The people that sold me the B17 Yanmar are telling me the John Deere 25 is the same machine . Maybe I will have better luck finding that manual.

  6. #6little_fellow2015-07-07 16:04

    Sorry. It's the John Deere 15 which is the same machine as the Yanmar B17.