Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

yanmar hydraulic pin grabber on another machine

John V ยท 2025-10-21 22:32

Anyone ever outfitted a yanmar quick coupler on another machine? Curious what components I would need other than the coupler itself (and hoses obviously)?

Replies11
  1. #1Vetech632025-10-22 09:08

    You can do anything if there is enough money to accomplish the mission.

  2. #2John V2025-10-22 18:00

    Thanks. There's a seller on ebay selling new old stock yanmar couplers for $1200, which is quite a bit cheaper than any other name brand hydraulic coupler. Just need help figuring out what solenoids or control valves I'd need to add to my takeuchi.

  3. #3John V2025-10-23 14:18

    done some more digging. the service manual for my vio55-6a shows a solenoid valve, valve C in the attachment, that controls the oil flow to the quick coupler. If anyone has more experience decyphering the hydraulic schematics, I would appreciate the advice! I'll be researching what kind of solenoid valve C is. Once I know that, I will experiment plumbing an off the shelf valve into the pilot circuit on my tb260 to try replicating the system on the vio55. edit: From what I can tell, this dcv has the correct function: 12 Volt DC 21 GPM Hydraulic Solenoid Valve Parker D1VW20HNKWFHB | Solenoid Valves | Hydraulic Valves | Hydraulics | www.surpluscenter.com 12 Volt DC 21 GPM Hydraulic Solenoid Valve Parker D1VW20HNKWFHB, Solenoid Valves, 12 VDC HYDRAULIC SOLENOID VALVE New Parker D1VW20HNKWFHB XB637Parker,D1VW20HNKWFHB XB637, www.surpluscenter.com The solenoid schematic symbols in the yanmar manual are a little inconsistent. Sol A and Sol B seem to have the "energized" state furthest from the solenoid symbol, whereas Sol C has the "energized" state next to the solenoid symbol.

  4. #4heymccall2025-10-23 14:43

    I don't like the 3k psi rating.

  5. #5John V2025-10-23 14:47

    Any reason why? Looks like the quick coupler itself has a check valve assembly on it, presumably to prevent high backpressures from operating the bucket. The relief pressure of the pilot pump, which is what operates the quick coupler, is set to 566psi on the vio55.

  6. #6heymccall2025-10-23 14:49
  7. #7heymccall2025-10-23 14:53

    I've had couplers on hoes since before couplers were cool. First, most, if not all modern couplers use bucket cylinder extend pressure, especially multi fit units. When to beat with the heel of the bucket, the moving jaw spikes the cylinder. That spike can reach 8k psi. And, relief valves don't react fast enough to quell that spike. I've got a box full of pressure switches from my geith couplers to prove it. If that yanmar is a multi fit coupler, it, most likely, operates on bucket cylinder rod extend pressure, not pilot pressure.

  8. #8John V2025-10-23 15:00

    I'm reading through the service manual. So far I can't find anything that says it operates on anything but the P4 (pilot) pump. Edit: regardless, that is a pretty good deal on ebay for that solenoid

  9. #9heymccall2025-10-23 16:40

    I just put a geith coupler on my tb260. Original kit used main pump to operate the coupler, with a confirmation from the bucket cylinder extend, via a pressure switch. After having gone through over 15 switches in 10 months, they gave they're blessing to using bucket cylinder extend to operate the valve, and simply bypass the pressure switch.

  10. #10John V2025-10-23 16:49

    Does the Geith coupler appear to have a check valve system on the coupler, similar to the yanmar one? I haven't spent the time to fully understand what that check valve does on the yanmar

  11. #11heymccall2025-10-23 17:08

    The valve on the cylinder is a load check valve (think crane boom or backhoe outrigger). It won't allow cylinder retraction without pressure on the rod end of the cylinder.