I Going to go look at a new Yanmar Mini Excavator tomorrow evening with the bossman. It's a yanmar ??55 I think, over 10,000 pound machine. Just wanted to know if anyone has one or had any good/ bad info on them. I know that all the takeuchi Equipment has the yanmar motors in them and we have been very please with the two taks we have. So any info you have let me know. Just for info, the dealer is giving us a real good deal on our old daewoo 220excavator as a trade in for the Yanmar if we decided to go that route.
ANY COMMENTS ON BOBCAT EXCAVATOR LOOKING AT 331 or 340
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums patmoetighe! :drinkup
I have about 100 hours on a Yanmar Vio 55-5, which is the newest series. My buddy bought one new last summer. I like the machine as a whole, the standard hydraulic pin grabber coupler is pretty nice. The machine could use a little more crowd force, I think it lacks a little in that department but not terrible. I like the reach, it seems to have a fair amount for it's size. I haven't done any lifting with the machine, don't know how it does there, but it'll sling a pretty heavy backhoe sized hoepac fairly easily. They seem to be reliable machines without a doubt, my buddy has over 650 hours on his thus far with no problems. Why not go with Tak? I know the Tak will outperform the Yanmar. That's not to say the Yanmar is a bad machine, I don't really have anything bad to say about Yanmars, but the Tak's in this size class spec very well.
Thanks for the info. The only reason we may not go with a tak is because this dealer does not sell the Tak mini excavators only the skid steers. They have given us a really good price on a trade in value for one of our older machines. They only carry yanmar as a mini excavator, although they are a full link-belt dealer, they also have over 40 takeuchi skid steers and many other brands of equipment on site.
Good deal, make sure you demo it for a day or two and make sure you like it. I'd probably buy one if I was in the market, not a bad machine at all.
I saw a few down next to the Kubota and the Deere booth at the Seattle home show. They seemed like a good machine, I know those yanmar engines can hold up against anything. Looked rugged but I don't know what doesn't now.
Today I went and played on it for a few minutes and really liked it. as usual there were a couple things I did not care for but overall it's a nice machine. The machine is a yanmar Vio 55 mini excavavator with the zero turn. The mcahine I was on had a 30" bucket and had no problem getting a heapped up bucket. A little tippy with a "big" scoop of dirt in the bucket with the boom all the way out over the side, no problem over the front or rear with the blade up. Man this thing is huge compared to our tak 135. I guess my Next question is CAB OR NO CAB????? I sat in a same size machine with a cab can felt fine, but my 6'5" boss looked not uncomfortable, but a tight fit. I'm glad I'm only 6'. Machine with cab had heat and AC. The dealer said heat worked good, but the With all the Glass the AC would struggle to keep it cool if it was over 90 degree's out. Any thoughts of a cab on a mini?????
A cab with heat is very nice in the winter, or the rain, but when it's nice I really prefer being in the open on the smaller machines. Those smaller cabs can get somewhat uncomfortable.
Don't even consider not getting the cab.
Get the A/C, it's only like $1500 or $2K I think. It can be added on later if you don't get it the first time around, but it's pretty cheap. My buddy's machine does not have A/C, but the heat works pretty good. Get the cab for sure and if you get the cab you might as well get A/C. In the summer, it's not too bad without A/C though. We had some hot days, but if you run with the door, front glass, and side windows open, you can get some good air ciruclation. Even an average A/C unit would push enough air through there to keep you cool. My buddy was on a massive deadline, so we rented a 45 that had A/C. Same machine, minus some weight, reach, and it's a little narrower. The A/C seemed to work pretty well, but I was running it with door and windows open, seemed to do the trick. I'd bet if you were all closed up she'd still be getting cold enough in the cab to keep you from frying.
Unless Yanmar fit a different A/C for NA then what he says does not hold up down here. I was in a new 55 only about 10 days when it was about 98F and it was beautiful. Another local has the 45 with about 1500 hrs and says the A/C is fine but he has tint. We have just recorded one of our hottest summers on record and for once I was cursing not having the A/C on my 27.
We sealed the deal today on the machine. It's got the factory hydro quick coupler, we'll get a 18" and a 36" bucket for it. They ordered the hydro thumb for it today. We did not get a cab as it was going to be another 5K added. We will only it about 500 hrs a year so it's not like someone uses it everyday. Should be ready for pickup on thurday. Oh yeah I had the honor of taking the "first scoop" and managed to wear all the paint off the teeth just playing on it a the dealer
It's a good feeling being the first to run a new machine. I'll never forget the day my dad took delivery of his new 312CL. We had 95 acres of orchard to get pulled out, stacked, and burned within 6 weeks. I had just drove 180 miles from school, showed up at noon, had a quick lunch, then jumped in the machine and started tearing away at trees. Not much of a ceremony, just had to do it, to it.
Awww...aint that nice Just get in the dam thing, get it dirty and post us the pics
Awesome!! How about some pictures if you have any??
I got the dam thing and got it dirty (somewhat) just for you.
Nice! Looks like a pretty long boom for a mini.
Excellent!, thanks for the pictures. Nice thumb:thumbsup....Oh...and the shackles are still on the undercarriage tie down points.....don't lose em. But I think I'd prefer the boats to workin a machine
Nice!! How do you like it so far?
The new yanmars seem to have very little curve on the boom, I guess that makes for a better reach but a little less dig depth.
Congratulations on the new Yanmar Chris. Now get to work and post some pics, will you?
Chris, in having another look at your pics I reckon the 55-5 down under has a different stick configuration...I wonder if this is an option for the NA market.?. I'll have to take some pics next time I see one. Also, I'd really appreciate some close up pics of the thumb attachment points, where the welds are and the pin arrangement. We had a thread going somewhere on the arrangement of various thumbs and its interesting to see all the different styles. I badly need a thumb on my 27 but prices down here are ridiculous so I've been planning to either bring one in from the States or build myself. I was quoted nearly $4,000 Aud for a thumb on the 27 ....and the Aussie is buying 94 Us cents at the moment.
It's the newest version of the machine, it's either a 07 or 08 model. book said the bomm was made that was to help eliminate stress points on the boom. They have a little diagram st shows the stress spots in red. I'll have to take a picture of it and put it on here. I don't know how much the thumb was for this machine but I know it was way less than 4 grand. I have not used the machine to dig yet, just been using it around the shop to move thing around... ok I'm just playing on the dam thing. I'm up to 15 hrs Got a few jobs lined up for it soon though
here you go, got my big bucket on for some trenching, thumbs bigger than the bucket
Yanmar has a very unique linkage at the bucket:beatsme
The thumb doesn't have a very good design to it. Sticks out quite a bit for being against the stick.
The top of the bucket is waaaaay tooo far from the bucket pin, I will never use a pin on coupler, you loose so much bucket curl in power.
Thanks Chris. How do you like Factory Yanmar hydraulic pin grabber?. We find it just an absolute godsend. I can see how they could have keep the thumb "legs" in closer to the dipper in that arrangement but I'm guessing that bucket makes it look worse. What is that bucket 12", 14"???. Our Kubota KX 161-3 (approx 11,500lbs) was rubbing the pins with a 12" bucket when trenching. Mine is a 27-3 (late 05). I'm would prefer the driect link arrangement as you have as I don't want to weld a hinge plate on the dipper close to the pin.
I found a pic of my setup
Although it looks like a 12" bucket on there it really is a 18". really looks smaller than it is in the picture. put the 36" bucket on there and it looks huge!