Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Yanmar vio20 starter relay

Ctyanmar · 2024-07-18 03:27

Hi, first post here. I’ve got an old yanmar vio 20-1 which is generally very reliable but recently experienced a starting problem. Traced the fault to a relay under the console which is numbered sn2206 (119247-77100), which seems to take the starter wire from the key in and then out, with a couple of other thinner wires. This relay is described as a safety relay. I don’t have the exact wiring diagram but ones for similar models suggest that it connects through to glow plugs and the alternator. I can get the machine started by disconnecting the relay from its socket and then putting a smaller jumper between the two starter wires. However, when this is done, the ignition light does not come on and the battery goes flat which suggests the relay is essential to the charging circuit. I’m trying to locate a replacement relay in the uk, but in the meantime I wonder of anyone is able to explain how this relay actually works and what I might be able to do to bypass it temporarily so that I can both start the machine and keep the battery charged? Thank you.

Replies0

No replies yet.