Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Yanmar Vio35-6a

whatsupdoc ยท 2024-12-15 19:47

Hey all, Need some help with my Vio35-6a. Seems that the glow plugs are not coming on when I turn the ignition to the run position. Yea is cold outside so they should come on. According to the manual the computer display should show the glow plug icon and when it goes out you are good to start. Now the engine does start but no indication the glow plugs have been energized. I checked the 40amp fuse, it is good and I have 12v on one side of the fuse terminals. I do not have a wiring diagram.

Replies7
  1. #1Bullitt2024-12-15 19:58

    Glow plug voltage from fuse goes through starting aid relay, relay control is pin E44 from engine ECU. Have you confirmed there is no voltage present to the first glow plug terminal? Also include serial number

  2. #2whatsupdoc2024-12-15 20:17

    No have not confirmed no voltage at glow plug, I will check tomorrow SN YMRVIO35TLAJAL473

  3. #3Bullitt2024-12-15 21:00

    If you have voltage to the glow plug terminal then the ECU is commanding cold start aids on, and then it is a matter of the signal wire to the monitor (it is not over CAN bus). If not then there is an probably issue with the logic controlling the cold start aid activation, for example a coolant temp sensor.

  4. #4whatsupdoc2024-12-16 18:04

    I went out this morning to check power to the glow plugs. Only I could not find them. I looked but could not find them, I may have to remove the air cleaner or possibly a steel access panel next to the seat to get to them. I downloaded the 3TNV88 parts list and it does not show the glow plugs. Odd thing is this morning the glow plug indicator did appear in the display. I ended up dumping the hydraulic oil and changing the two filters in the tank, when I was done the temp was 37 degrees and although the engine started easily the glow plug indicator was absent.

  5. #5John Griffin2024-12-17 08:35

    I have a VIO35-6a. My glow plug symbol doesn't come on until it's about 25 or less outside. Never looked for the glow plugs themselves since it has never been an issue. It's definitely an automatic setup whatever they are using. BTW I have 4400 hrs on my vio. It's been one of the best pieces of equipment I've ever owned.

  6. #6whatsupdoc2024-12-17 09:34

    Thanks, I am going to keep an eye on the temperature, I am accustomed to my Kubota tractors glow plugs indicator coming on way higher than 25 so it may just be me.

  7. #7John Griffin2024-12-17 09:39

    Welcome. I have only seen mine a couple of times since it doesn't normally stay that cold here in Alabama.