Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Yanmar Vio55-5 reviews anyone?

farmboy555 · 2018-01-01 15:35

looking for some feedback pro & con on a Vio55-5 model Thanks

Replies16
  1. #1LT-x72018-01-05 00:01

    I purchased one just a few months ago. I've put about 150 hours on it and so far so good. Very impressive on digging and lifting power. My only complaint is the Tag thumb the dealer installed, hard to blame that on the machine. No one else even come close on the price and financing.

  2. #2farmboy5552018-01-05 07:38

    Thanks for the reply. Looking at A 2012 55-5B this morning 1300 hrs with thumb

  3. #3farmboy5552018-01-05 18:06

    Bought it Hoping it will handle a 48” bucket for digging septic leach trench’s

  4. #4Billrog2018-01-05 19:40

    Looks good I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

  5. #5thepumpguysc2018-01-06 05:23

    Nice lookin, clean machine.. that thumb is "the cats meow"!!! Best invention in machinery since hydro's.. I think EVERY bucket should come STANDARD w/ a thumb!!!! 1 word of CAUTION tho.. That injection pump, WILL NOT tolerate ANY water.. IF you start experiencing any water/filter, bad fuel symptoms..& you trace it back to the pump.. its to late.. SO.. IF it we're mine.. 1st thing would be to DRAIN & CLEAN the fuel tank.. IF it has a filter screen IN the tank, pull it out & clean it.. CHANGE ALL the filters & start fresh.. mark the filters w/ a DATE & change at regular 4-6 month intervals, weather you used the machine or not.. regardless of hours.. IF it has a "water separator" on it.. drain it BEFORE EVERY engine start.. regardless of weather or not "it looks good." Theres ALOT of maintenance that's goes w/ THAT fuel system.. its just something you have to get use to. Heres hoping you get many profitable hours out of her.. TPG

  6. #6farmboy5552018-01-06 11:01

    Thanks

  7. #7LT-x72018-01-06 15:32

    Looks like a twin to mine. I'm not sure how much luck you will have with a 4' bucket. Mine handles the 3' bucket good as far as not feeling tippy reaching out with a full bucket, but it struggles digging in hard ground with the 3' bucket. We'll see if that changes when I get the new rock teeth installed.

  8. #8farmboy5552018-01-06 15:57

    Just looking at Wix website for filter numbers, no part # for wix hydraulic filter

  9. #9thepumpguysc2018-01-06 16:41

    Nice lookin job site LT.. Your place or a "paying job"?? That stone work, looks top notch from the picture..

  10. #10LT-x72018-01-06 16:58

    I'm just the dirt contractor, I can't take credit for the foundation work.

  11. #11farmboy5552018-01-07 15:15

    Anyone have part numbers for the filters, it has Mfg filters on it can't read jap stuff

  12. #12LT-x72018-01-07 16:24

    I'm no help, I have not changed any filters yet. My dealer claims the factory filters & fluids are competitively priced.

  13. #13heymccall2018-01-19 13:11

    Seriously? No injection pump likes water. And, yes, it has gotten to be more prevalent since the ULSD mandate (in 2007), along with the introduction of higher fuel pressures of common rail fuel injection. With that said, Yanmar used to have 14micron fuel filters and a simple screen type water bowl. When equipped as such, yes, injection pump issues were a problem. I was lucky to get 1500 hours out of a pump on 4TNE106T machines. Since Yanmar now uses 7micron fuel filters, and I have upgraded all my screen only separators to 30micron Stanadyne FM100 cartridges, I have had ZERO issues, plus, with the element instead of a screen, my fuel filters can go as far as 800 hours, whereas, before, I was lucky to make it to 200 hours. Did I mention that we feed our machines with small rocks, straw, and water? In other words, the only caution is for those that have a screen only water separator. I've got 4TNE106T & 4TNV106, along with 3TNE&V98 engines on original injectors and pumps with over 7k hours.

  14. #14Canuck Digger2018-01-23 01:19

    Great machines. I have have a 35-5. Good to know about the fuel filters.

  15. #15Canuck Digger2018-02-09 01:08

    I'm looking at adding a 55 to my 35. Think the only thing I would do though is get a custom rolled counter weight made, since there isn't a factory option available. It would be a reduced tail swing, but I'd be ok with that. I think that would solve the light over the tracks feel and would be able to handle a bigger bucket. I'm sure the machine had plenty of power to do the job, more of a balance/gravity issue. Thoughts?

  16. #16hvy 1ton2018-02-09 01:35

    Pumpguy, since i have 4-5 Yanmar engines does this just apply to the newer IP's or all of them. It is slightly concerning i don't know how many 3 cylinders i have.