Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Yanmar YB251? Purchase?

KRob · 2022-01-23 12:31

Folks...I apologize first off, probably a really dumb question. I am looking for a small excavator 6-10k Lbs. I happened upon one that is being advertised as a Yanmar YB251, however, i cannot find anything spec-wise on what a YB251 is. Found lots of videos and a few old for sales but nothing about spec. Can you guys point me in the direction? Also if anyone has a link to how the series works for Yanmars that would be awesome. YB, B, Voi? I figure the numbers are easy, probably similar to everyone else numbering systems. Thanks Rob.

Replies1
  1. #1earlebishop2025-05-19 20:07

    I know this is an old thread, but for a machine like this, I have spent years looking for answers. So I will share what I have, here. I have a YB251, and details are indeed difficult to come by. I have found it to a good little excavator, with its own issues. Disassembly to get to parts for repair and maint was easy. On the down side, you have some need to remove half the engine accessories to access a part. I paid 11k for it, and have used it on a variety of small projects. Drain the coolant before winter, or be prepared to replace freeze plugs. See the aforementioned disassembly thing. The YB251 is a "grey market" machine in the US. I have, thus far, not been able to locate a manual for it. I spent several years (literally) trying to get anyone in the UK to sell me a manual. Seems none of the companies I contacted knew their a** from a hole in the ground. I did the work myself. The following infos are INFORMATION PURPOSES ONLY. Not an endorsement. It may not be correct for your Yanmar. Engine Model: data plate says 3TN78L-RB (or 3TN78L, but parts from 3TN84 seem more correct) Starter: Existing is S114-257G. Solenoid was found from there. I believe this is a DB Electrical part. Solenoid: Amazon listing: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079H3K2K7 ; Spec infos from that listing: OEG Parts New 12V Starter Solenoid Compatible With Yanmar 1GM 2GM 3GM KM2 KM3 Direct Drive X-211447009, 128170-77010, 128170-77010D; Replacement Part Numbers: 2114-47009, 211447507, 2114-47507, 211477007, 2114-77007, 446679, 44-6679, 8942284530, 8-94228-4530, GD211378A, GD211378-A, X211447009, X-211447009, 211447009; Voltage: 12V; Duty Cycle: Intermittent Duty; Case Outside Diameter: 52mm; WRONG PART: DB Electrical 245-44052 (shorter, spring angle bad, lever arm aperture too short) T-stat housing: https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...-Cover-for-YANMAR-AM875399_1601184799681.html ; Infos from Alibaba: Thermostat Housing Cover for YANMAR AM875399 Engine 4TNV88 3TN84l, Oem No 4900902 – WE ORDERED THE 3TN84 VERSION!! Water Pump: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0D78XRT8R ; Infos from listing: Part Number: 129001-42001 129001-42003 129001-42004 129002-42004 129004-42001 129100-42001 129100-42002 129100-42004 129100-42005 729423-42003 729428-42003 729428-42004 AM875942 AM875942-A AM878201 AM878201-A AM879651 AM879651-A AM880905 AM880905-A Part Number: CSU80-0087 CSU80-0087-A HD45018131 YM129002-42004 YM129100-42001 YM129100-42005 YM729428-42003 YM729428-42004 WAP0181 KYA-02A LB-E3059 YMR000520 YMR000106; Fit for Yanmar Engine: 4TN84L 4TNE84 4TNE84T 4TNE88 4TNE92-NMH 4TNE94-NMH 4TNE98-NMH Engine Oil: Most likely should use 10W-30 oil (oil in yanmar diesel 3 cylinder engines) It took almost exactly a gallon, with no oil filter change - old forum post filters: 1st Fuel (smaller): Baldwin PF937 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015RMAXC/ 2nd fuel (bigger): WIX 33507 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CSGTKK/ Air: WIX 42276 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CSD322/ Oil: Baldwin B227 -or- WIX 51334 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CAYQ26/ https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C9Y16S/ Hydraulic HFI R16E25C -or- WIX W02AP667 https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Hydraulic-Filter-Big-Store/dp/B078P1JDJ1 I also needed 22 and 30mm expansion freeze plugs. Amazon Dorman was the cheapest in bulk. I believe this is the alternator, NOT CONFIRMED: https://www.amazon.com/aa/dp/B0081SB3CM/