Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Yard art

673moto · 2022-04-25 18:15

I’m looking at getting this small dozer as some yard art for my place and could use some suggestions on moving it... doubtful that it runs and seems like a track derailing issue will have to be solved. Also, I’m interested in seeing what you guys have in your yards for “decorative” purposes. anybody have old iron prominently displayed? Let’s see them!

Replies21
  1. #1digger242j2022-04-25 19:55

    I wanted to take an old 36" backhoe bucket and fill it with flowers, but I decided I like being married better.

  2. #2ecnorton20012022-04-25 20:18

    Back home, I see quite a few folks with old farm tractors serving as yard art (Fordsons, W-20's, etc). Generally, pre WW-II vintage on steel. I am from a rural farming area. I would presume an area with a strong connection to earthmoving could have small dozers as yard art.

  3. #3skadill2022-04-25 20:45

    1936 Maple Leaf truck in my yard, with led lights in it.

  4. #4Truck Shop2022-04-25 22:01

    That's pretty cool!

  5. #5Bumpsteer2022-04-25 22:07

    No Discount Tire stores up there? Sweet! Ed

  6. #6673moto2022-04-25 23:04

    Throw a skeleton in there for Halloween and you’re set!

  7. #7joe--h2022-04-26 01:43

    Old school buses are popular here. Joe H

  8. #8aighead2022-04-26 06:44

    Oh man! My new favorite thread! I haven't started on my yard art adventure yet, other than the wife who likes to toss bowling balls into the flower beds. I plan on welding weird junk together for yard art but haven't gotten into it yet. I've got a drawing for a giant metal guy, one day I'll actually do it. That bulldozer would be sweet! My neighbor bought one to fix up and he had some trouble moving it, mostly due to it's uncontrollability and weight. The tracks on his work, the engine didn't, and that may have been some of the issue, when it started coming off the trailer it really started coming. He got it delivered on day while I was at work so I couldn't help with the backhoe, even though that weight moving would probably just toss the backhoe around. I have pushed it around with the hoe though. That truck is super cool!

  9. #9Vetech632022-04-26 07:39

    I came home a couple of weeks ago to find a bowling ball in the flower bed. I was thinking she was finally losing it. Looks like I’m not alone after all. LOL

  10. #10aighead2022-04-26 08:17

    Hahaha! We've got about 20 out and about right now! Some have big cracks in them, even though they winter in a big plastic shipping case. There was an estate sale around the corner that we stopped at and it was a bowler's heaven, I think we got about 15 balls that day.

  11. #11skyking12022-04-26 10:54

    Maple Leaf truck will be hard to top. OP, I would contact a tow company. Those guys love a challenge. They might cut you a deal on a rotator and set it down on your trailer, and pick it back off at your house. My favorite yard art that looks to have a rare Cummins engine.

  12. #12skadill2022-04-26 11:38

    Took these years ago, right out front of a guys driveway by the road

  13. #13skyking12022-04-26 11:52

    Love that tow bar.

  14. #14chidog2022-04-26 21:43

    That old Maple leaf truck, needs some preservation done, stop the decay and maybe a clear coat of urethane etc. Probably a pretty rare item?

  15. #15Muffler Bearing2022-04-28 09:33

    This is more 'Wall Art' or perhaps "Fine Art". Manifold and valve covers from a Mack Thermodyne

  16. #16aighead2022-04-28 13:15

    I was thinking a Moose Menorah!

  17. #17TomA2022-04-28 21:02

    For moving that dozer a roll back would be ideal. Winch on winch off.

  18. #18Truck Shop2022-04-28 21:59
  19. #19boone2022-05-07 19:15

    I've passed this place several times in southern TN. Thought this old dozer was pretty cool. Myself, wife and kids passed by today and a lady was out mowing the grass. I asked if I could take a picture. I'm sure she thought I was a nut, but she laughed and said yes. Not sure if the old JD had any part in the pond build.

  20. #20aighead2022-05-09 06:28

    It's sprung a leak! Truck Shop- Being an Ohioan it's always neat and amazing to see all the weird stuff that was made in Ohio.

  21. #21Old Doug2022-05-09 08:43

    I have some rusty junk parked in the yard but its the stuff i drive. I like to look at old stuff but i dont want it in the yard.