Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Yeah, make it TIGHT!

Coytee ยท 2021-11-21 09:53

Well.... you're nothing if you can't make fun of yourself so here I go.... Out using backhoe one day. Noticed some water dripping from front of engine. Presuming it is the water pump finally going bad, I order a replacement. Me not having a clue how any other brand is plumbed (I have a JCB), it has a "Y" on there that splits off to feed the machine, another leg to the filler tube and if I recall, a "U" shaped hose as well. Point being there are a handful of connection points to get it all apart/together. Got it done, filled it up and took her out for a spin to build the temperature. All was fine...... until the NEXT time I took it out. Now I noticed water dripping again, essentially from the same place. Well, crap.... I need to get to this FAST because I don't know how long I have to return it as defective. I take the machine out the next day to replicate the problem.....heat engine..... not a drip. So I finally presume that ....well, to be honest, I don't know WHAT I presumed..... (maybe I'm a dumbazz???) Yesterday, took it out to clear a small path, got on/off couple times and I saw it. Another stream coming from the nose of the engine. Stopped everything, drove it to house, raised loader so I could see better (and nervous as anything to not get too close to arms should they decide to fall) DANG it, I still can't clearly see in there.... get flashlight. Look. Water is clearly spurting out but I can't be sure where. It looks like it's on the port (I think the pump has an outlet if needed and it has a plug in it). Does it have TWO ports and I need to plug one? Maybe I need to move the plug??? Lower arms so I can get in there, now I see the direction it's spraying which allows me to follow to the source. A bit miffed with myself, I climb down, go to tool box, get a screwdriver and put about 5-6 turns on the hose clamp that attaches hose to pump. Turn it back on....and stream is gone. Seems I found my "defective pump" oops. Dumbazz

Replies7
  1. #1joe--h2021-11-21 10:53

    You're not the first and you won't be the last. You found it, you fixed it. Drive on. Joe H

  2. #2JL Sargent2021-11-21 11:13

    Not too bad when you compare to the folks that have pulled their transmission only to find a clutch out switch or solenoid not working......

  3. #3Coytee2021-11-21 11:24

    Of course, now I get to eternally wonder..... do I have a $400 replacement pump that fixed my problem or, did I spend $400 when a tighten of the screw would have done it. Never mind, don't go into that discussion.... lol

  4. #4edgephoto2021-11-21 11:37

    The old loose hose clamp trick. New hoses will do this. You tighten the clamps and after a couple heat cycles you need to retorque them. The hoses compress a little bit. The newer silicone based hoses don't seem to do this nearly as much as standard hose. Also when you wrote water I had to keep reading to realize you meant a coolant leak vs. water.

  5. #5Tinkerer2021-11-21 12:05

    We have all been in situations with similar circumstances. The bright side is that you now have a spare pump that may very well bail you out of bad situation at some time in the future. Be sure to get a new gasket for it.

  6. #6Tyler d4c2021-11-21 12:09

    I did something like that once

  7. #7JL Sargent2021-11-21 15:13

    Next time you will put more effort into the "Root Cause Analysis".