Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Year of Production

Costnsg · 2023-12-10 14:38

I’m a new member here and have a question that I see many others have had. Friday I bought a well used D5B for use on my farm. It’s scheduled to be delivered this coming week. I ordered a used service manual and parts manual on eBay. The Serial number is hard to make out and reads 25X5?8. I think it’s 25X578. What is the year of production? Where were the 25X’s manufactured? Anything else specific to 25X’s that would be of interest to a new owner? Thanks in advance for anything offered!

Replies3
  1. #1Nige2023-12-10 14:47

    If the S/N is confirmed as 25X578 then the DOM is 8th October 1977. If you ever go to Cat for parts the Serial Number would be written 25X00578. 25X machines were manufactured in the US. If your Service Manual is complete then it should also contain an Operation & Maintenance Manual, probably the most important document if you are going to mantain it yourself.

  2. #2Costnsg2023-12-10 16:37

    Thank you, Nige. I appreciate you taking some of your time to assist.

  3. #3Costnsg2023-12-10 16:59

    Nige, it didn't take long for me looking at the forum for the first time to see you responding to many information requests. Thanks again for assisting me and so many others.