Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

You all ready for a early potentially mean winter?

DMiller ยท 2017-09-02 13:58

Been watching our weather beyond that of Harvey, we are experiencing the mildest August and early September I can remember in over 50+ years of what memory I have left. I have not managed to kill all the older brain cells but working on it! We have had 26 of 31 days in August thickly fogged, to which an older old timer noted for every foggy day in Aug. there will be a corresponding snow in winter. They are calling for Frost in MI, MN, WI and N IL/IA by Sept 7. Nut trees(walnut/hickory) are not very fruited out this time and our persimmons are sparse at best. Are we in for it this winter? Are you all ready for it if is bad?

Replies23
  1. #1Birken Vogt2017-09-02 14:30

    It has been over 90 degrees here for weeks it seems like. Normally it seems like the warm and cold spots in the country kind of move west to east but sometimes they get "stuck" and then it stays hot here and cool there or vice versa.

  2. #2Junkyard2017-09-02 15:00

    We're due for a rough winter. We've gotten off easy the last couple. I wouldn't mind a wet one. Of course you'll see snow and we'll see ice most likely. I'm prepared for any of it

  3. #3thepumpguysc2017-09-03 04:48

    I never heard of the "fog" lore.. but it makes sense.. Our winters consist of about 2-3 weeks of 36* temps & wind off the water.. THIS COMING WEEK its in the LOW 80's.. even some 70's w/ 60's for humidity.. & no wind.!!! Its gonna be beautiful !! If I had any workin boats, I'd be taking the week off..

  4. #492U 34062017-09-03 07:21

    There's only 2 seasons: Sledding season and the rest of the year lol. Longer sledding season is fine by me.

  5. #5Hobbytime2017-09-03 07:37

    thats the ole wives tale..a wet august means a wet winter..whatever that means..hopefully nice fluffy snow and not ice storm after ice storm...

  6. #6Crummy2017-09-03 09:39

    Can't get here soon enough for me. Record number of days here with no rain, 90*+ for the next 3 days, fires & smoke everywhere. Too hot in the shop & too hot outside for someone like me that has a low heat/dry tolerance. I hope it turns soon, I'm ready. After running lowboy OTR mostly northwestern/central states the last 5 years winter staying local and not in the truck will be a breeze.

  7. #7boaterri2017-09-03 12:29

    Don't think there will be much snow down by us, just a hurricane headed out way............... Rick

  8. #8farmboy5552017-09-03 12:47

    Bring it on. We go from one extreme to the other overnight. So we pretty much prepare for it all. Snow, ice , hail storms & heat stroke LOL

  9. #9old-iron-habit2017-09-03 13:14

    Might be a real winter coming. I hope so. We need lots of ice for an extended ice fishing season. Our apple trees are ripe a month early this year. A few of the varieties are already picked or past prime. I don't know if mother nature is warning us of an early winter, or if it was because of our little 100 mile circle of a super wet summer. Totally dry beyond that.

  10. #10Junkyard2017-09-03 13:53

    A wicked, harsh, coldest on record winter might zip the lip of the man made climate change folks. (Yeah right that ain't gonna happen!) I'm surprised the feminists haven't spoke in outrage over it being "man" made

  11. #11DARO2017-09-03 16:08

    [QUOTE=" I'm surprised the feminists haven't spoke in outrage over it being "man" made [/QUOTE] Dont clue them in..

  12. #12DMiller2017-09-03 16:17

    We saw our Hickory and Walnut crops come in way early, likely a month when they started dropping. In a little overlooked region of IL between the IL and MS rivers is a orchard grove heaven at Hardin IL all the fruit crops there are already in and done.

  13. #13old-iron-habit2017-09-03 21:03

    Took pictures today of maples turning red already. Aspens are turning yellow to. A few weeks early.

  14. #14hvy 1ton2017-09-04 02:28

    DMiller, i think we're gonna have a rough winter if for no other reason than the high pressure that's been making all this nice weather also caused harvey to be so severe. Luck/kama/whatever is gonna turn on that one.

  15. #15thepumpguysc2017-09-04 06:00

    Oh, how I miss the leaves turning.. all we have here are Pine & Magnolia.. the pine stays green & the Mags turn baby sh*t brown & fall.. Just got an email from my brother on the PA/NY border.. says he woke to 37* this morning.. All the doors & windows remained open here lastnite.. wonderful sleeping weather, for sure..

  16. #16hosspuller2017-09-04 21:58

    We're ready with the firewood supply for the Pacific Energy fireplace insert. The heat pump takes a winter vacation unless we're gone during a freeze.

  17. #17old-iron-habit2017-09-04 23:25

    That's about one good filling in my stove and will last about a day and 1/2 or a few hours more at -20. Maybe I should consider becoming a snow bird. Awe, guess not. I like the ice fishing to much. My wood pile looks like a paper mill when I'm stocked up.

  18. #18PJ The Kid2017-09-05 12:18

    Looks like about a day and a half for my pot belly stove in that bucket, but I'll burn it for ya. I go thru what looks like more wood because I run slabs and scraps form the sawmill, not much good heart wood but its nice and dry and free and I don't have to fell the trees.

  19. #19Junkyard2017-09-05 19:04

    There's always room here in Oklahoma if you wanna try it out . You can fish in the winter and won't have to drill a hole!

  20. #20John C.2017-09-07 11:41

    Broad leaf trees are starting to turn color here in the higher elevations. It is still a little bit early. Forecasts for winter in the northwest seem to indicate a little warmer with higher than average rain. That is once it actually starts to rain again. It's been the driest summer I can remember. Plenty of people praying for rain right now because of the fires and smoke covering the state.

  21. #21DMiller2017-09-07 12:37

    Can remember a trip we took to Coeur d'Alene a few years back(2009), from Spokane to Seattle powder dry, spent three days in Seattle where rains came back on, the attendant at hotel said was first rains in two months. Once started kept on coming but was Way late.

  22. #22wlhequipment2017-09-07 14:04

    Speaking of weather, you guys down in the SE be careful. That storm Irma is scary looking. The word "Irma" is German and it means "war goddess". Hang on tight down there!

  23. #23John C.2017-09-07 19:24

    Haven't had any rain to speak of since end of May or beginning of June. We've set a bunch of records for dry. I second the sentiment on hurricane Irma. To all in that part of the country, stay safe!