Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

01 dt 466e

chris allen ยท 2016-01-16 22:05

my service trucks giving me issues at every start up, had new tubes put in back last yr,an new injector seals, ever since then every day I really have to spin it over an finally I start seeing it start smokeing then itll eventually start up, its like the fuels leaking down, well I recently pulled fuel filter housing off a cleaned it out a looked over it an checked for any thing that ll let it leak air into it an leak fuel leak back to tank. resealed all fittings back to housing an started up an tied in fuel press. gauge, once it started up it ran bout 44 psi, an when shut off the psi dropped down pretty rapid till it got around 25 psi, then it got slower dropping to 0, have installed new fuel pump back when work was done, so what does the fuel psi need to be in order for the motor to fire up, wandering whats the odds of the return relief valve being bad an leaking fuel pressure off when motor shut off. or if maybe one of my injector seals are leaking. not sure whats goin on with it but its a matter of time before its gonna kill my starter, can start it up an let it run for few mins an shut it off an try to fire it back up an still have to spin it nearly a min or two to get back goin. any ideas guys

Replies3
  1. #1GregsHD2016-01-18 12:20

    You want to have around 60psi fuel pressure, I'd pull the fuel pressure regulator from the back of the head and see if there isn't a piece of junk stuck in it, also in the rock catcher (prefilter screen) housing there is a ball style check valve. I would hook up a gauge into the oil rail and check to see what pressure your getting while its cranking, needs to have a minimum of 600psi. Confirm you see the same pressure through a scan tool to verify the ICP sensor is good. It should be setting a code with that long crank if the oil rail pressure is not where it should be. Any codes?? Can you hear the injectors actuating while cranking?

  2. #2chris allen2016-01-18 21:53

    I have a guy ask me bout the rubber check ball,,,, I had took my filter housing off looking for one an never found it, only check ball is in the hand primer pump on,off valve that ya use to prime system that mounts to filter housing . when truck is running I see only 44 psi for fuel press. hadn't check oil rail press. yet

  3. #3chris allen2016-01-24 17:52

    I pulled the regulator outta rear of head today, wasn't anything in it, washed it out with brake cleaner, reinstalled, seems like a constant drip here an there with motor off an return line off, also got a tee an installed it at the pump outlet line to check psi while spinning an running, had around 600 to 650 while spinnins, when it does fire up it ll get up round 800 to 1000 while at idle, an fuel pressure will be around 65 while running, I have checked the wire at high psi pump, if I check press. with wire off it want build press. hook back up then it will build press. so there fore I know it has power to it, ive been going in circles with this issues for months, other day I got 2 bottles of lucus oil treatment an dumped it in, next afternoon when I was on the job an had to start it up for pto, (it fired rite up) shut it off an it started up like 10 times back to back, wandered if the lucus thickened the oil up enuff to over come an internal leak someweres, but next morning when I went out to fire it up, was the same spin an spin game till finaly fires up, I know a yr ago I pressure washed my motor an hit the engine oil press. sendor an it started leaking oil at connection, it being on a late sunday after noon I was in a panic , hr from home middle of no were,, I removed the sensor an plugged hole off in block, didn't think truck was suppose to crank with out reading engine oil press. but what ya know it fired up, my local dealor says that im full of crap cause the truck was run with out the sensor hooked up, I though the same too, but heck ive been running it for a yr now. an back to my lucus oil treatment theory, it still sometimes starts up here an there dureing the day an most of time don't, guess I need to remove valve cover an see if I can remove injector harness an spin motor over an look for excessive oil leaks mayby blown oring. don't realy know how to check other than just to pullem an reseal all.