Hey guys I'm new here I have a volvo ecr88 that gets hot and starts cutting out and will eventually stall i have put new water pump thermostat fushed the radiator changed bolth temperature sending units. I thought maybe it was my hydraulic fuild getting it hot so I changed fuild and filters. When it gets hot I used a heat gun to check the block temperature it was at 185°-190° that seems normal to me tho any help would be greatly appreciated
First you need to make sure the engine is actually overheating. A manual gauge to me is the most accurate. If your going to use a heat gun, shoot the outlet housing at the thermostat which should be the hottest point. Record that temperature, then shoot the inlet housing where the lower radiator hose hooks up to the engine (the coolest point.) You should see a 30-40 degree temp difference on average. Remember, the water/coolant only absorbs the heat. The airflow through the radiator core is what cools the coolant. 1. Have you checked your belt tension and pulleys? 2. Have you checked the radiator core for proper air flow? 3. Fan blade condition? Its sounds like you have covered everything that has to do with the liquid side of this system already........now check airflow.
The engine has to be fully hot (overheating) for the thermostat to open and see how the system is working with a heat gun. If you can't find a temperature hotter than190 on the block or head away from the exhaust, then it's not overheating, that's normal. so give us some temps like vetech said, the outlet and inlet on the engine from the radiator, when it's as hot as you've got it, while running. That's the best way to diagnose overheating in my opinion. Or describe your symptoms better, does the gauge go into the overheat zone? alarm come on? and then the engine cuts out and eventually stalls? any odd noises? any smoke while it's cutting out or stalling?
Yes the temperature gage will go 3/4 the way over when it will start cutting out i will blow black smoke if it bogs down to much it will eventually get to the red and the buzer will go off i can open the hood and that will help but still gets hot
Is the computer shutting it down? You said it would blow black smoke. Have you checked your air filter for obstruction? Have you checked your turbo for damage? Is the wastegate stuck?
Show me the temperatures. Nothing but guessing without the temperatures. Work until it stumbles and blows smoke, hop off and shoot the temps, and we'll have something to go on.
I got rained out today I will get some Temps tomorrow it only blows black when it cuts in and out and about to stall it is no-turbo the air filters are clean thanks for the help so far ill let you guys know what the template are tomorrow
Update I got some Temps today. The thermostat housing was 189° and the bottom of the radiator was 178° I tested my cap today and its good i inspected the fan and belt its good i would think it should cool more that that
It absolutely should shed more heat than that. I wouldn't call 189 overheating though. Do you have airflow through the radiator? Is the shroud in place? I know an 88 is packed pretty tight around the radiator. Is there any chance anyone has introduced stop leak or bars leak into the cooling system? If you've proven that the radiator cap and water pump are functioning properly, you're probably gonna wanna have the tanks removed from the core and inspect the tubes for blockage.
I have an early ECR88. When its in the 90s it runs toward the top of the gauge with the AC off. With AC on it will run hotter. I've seen comments from other owners that their units ran hot. My dealer said there's no kit or update to increase cooling. I went through the cooling system and did not find any problems. My radiator still has all the shielding. I flushed the radiator and internals looks clean visually so I did not pull radiator. One thing I notice is the fan is only turned by the alternator belt and you can turn the fan by hand unless you really crank on the alternator adjustment. I also found running the engine at high rpms increases cooling. I'll try to get some temp readings this weekend. Jim
A slipping fan doesn't help. Maybe that belt has a glaze on it from slipping. Obviously the cheapest path here, replace the belt with a quality V-belt (Dayco, Gates) honestly, stay away from OEM. Those belts hang on the hooks for years drying out in a parts warehouse till you need it, and it's already no good. Good luck.
The radiator is all aluminum so I cant pull it a part volvo wants $4000 for a new one I told them there crazy
You remove it, take it to a radiator shop or a good welding shop. They'll remove the cover tanks so you can inspect the core. But. I would definitely start with simple, the belt.
That’s not hot at 189 but the temp differential isn’t worth a dam. Have you taken a flash light and looked the radiator core over from the fan side? Is it equipped with a debris screen between the radiator and oil cooler/ ac condenser?
Have you checked the ground to the engine block and the cab?
Took some temps with a heat gun after running for a while with the AC on. Temp gauge was on the top white line and holding. I took readings at a few spots so there is a range. air temp about 90 radiator top 175-180 radiator bottom 145 - 150 block 180 Comparing our temps your getting higher radiator temps especially at the bottom so you have less cooling. Since you flushed the radiator I would check to see if the outside of the radiator is clogged. The radiator is pretty well shrouded so its a PITA to blow it out. I used a long air nozzle extension. Also check your fan belt. Like I said above its easy to get fan slip with the setup in the ECR88. Jim
This professional technical manual contains service, maintenance, and troubleshooting information for your VOLVO ECR88 COMPACT EXCAVATOR. It is the manual used in the local service repair shop. VOLVO ECR88 COMPACT EXCAVATOR manual is guaranteed to be fully useful to save your precious time. This VOLVO ECR88 COMPACT EXCAVATOR Service Manual has easy to read text sections with top quality diagrams and instructions. They are specifically written for the do it work as well as the experienced mechanic. With step by step instruction and highly detailed exploded pictures, diagrams to show you how to complete the required job correctly, efficiently using. VOLVO ECR88 COMPACT EXCAVATOR Service Repair Manual PDF covers every single detail on your machine provides step-by-step instructions based on the complete disassembly of the machine. Comprehensive diagrams, in-depth illustrations, and all the manufacturers' specifications and technical information you will need is included. Volvo Ecr88d Workshop Excavator Service Repair Manual