I scanned these pages out of a Detroit Diesel Truck Engine Manual. The first mention of a 100,000 mile oil change interval, I thought was a mis-print. But then it was also written again at the end of the same paragraph. Then I found it again a few pages later on a maintenance chart. Was this ever tried for real? What was their thinking behind it?
I'm guessing it's a miss print Plant Fitter . 10,000 miles is a Gods Plenty for a Detroit . As I am sure you know due to there mechanical injectors under the valve cover over time the lube oil gets thin with diesel fuel leaking past the plunger & fuel rack rod . It's the nature of the beast so to speak . To be honest I don't keep track of miles or hours on my Detroit's . Just keep an eye on the oil pressure gauge at idle when hot . When it gets down below 10 psi I change the oil .
Yes but misprinted 3 times in the same book? Even the 12,500 mile interval for "City Tranist Coaches and Pick-up and Delivery Trucks" seems excessive.
Maybe it's just me in my old school way of thinking, but it seems 100,000 mile oil change is a bit much for any engine, not just a two stroke Detroit, and those engines are as old school as I am. In comparison, the '98 Peterbilt I drive with a Paccar PX8 has an oil change interval of 15,000 miles, which I consider a good bit of mileage. But 100K? With any engine? Seems a bit much to me. But that's just me.
Not sure its a stretch at all, haven't any of you run one before, those leak so badly I'm not sure they'd even recommend an oil change at all, most of the oil is gone in the first few thousand miles anyhow, with as much as was added none could ever be the original oil anyhow. Someone once told me, if it quits leaking, its out of oil and too late to add anyhow. As for the newer engines, there are a few fleets that change at 25k miles, but the kicker comes in, the truck never shuts off, the over the road trucks idle all night long to either keep the bunk cool or warm, when you do the math, they are up over 1000 hours on the oil before changing and they don't leak oil like the older one's do. A friend of mine worked for a fleet that did just this, they had it penciled out to a science as when to trade trucks, and shortly there after the engines went bad in every one of them, as they say buyer beware.