Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

10N at work

Miningpower · 2010-04-06 21:02

Here's a video I did showing a 10N and 777B's working on backfilling a strip pit. YouTube - Cat D10N & 777B's Backfilling

Replies42
  1. #1catc152010-04-06 22:54

    So do you ever get to run that dozer or do you run something else? other than that that is a really nice looking and well running dozer. looks like nothing really stays in the way.

  2. #2sluggo2010-04-07 02:25

    big cat for so small of trucks

  3. #3Gavin84w2010-04-07 03:53

    You can only **** with the di#$ you got and thats what they got, 10N is not to big for a mining operation with 777,s, better to have a little in reserve instead of being on kill 100% of the time

  4. #4Miningpower2010-04-07 07:51

    No I've never had a chance to run any sockpile dozers before. A lot of operators will put me under the controls of the shovel or backhoe if I ask. Go for a ride with a truck driver and they usually will always let you drive :drinkup

  5. #5Miningpower2010-04-07 07:55

    7 trucks running all day brining rock up to the backfill and you say that dozer is to big? lol.

  6. #6sluggo2010-04-07 14:57

    how deep is the fill? ya I think a 10 is pretty big for a string of 7 85-90 ton trucks. would be nice, just looked sorta like overkill

  7. #7sluggo2010-04-07 15:17

    better bring a big lunch,cause your going to have lots of time to eat it

  8. #8Miningpower2010-04-07 20:20

    300ft. No that's the right sized dozer. I highly doubt it could be considered overkill if an 11R is working there to

  9. #9John C.2010-04-07 20:27

    I was wondering if that was a union operator on the dozer. Pushing spoil in first gear is pretty much a waste of fuel. You don't determine the size of the dozer by the size of the truck. You determine it by the number of trucks and the time in between dump cycles. At any rate that's a nice video for explaining how the process works.

  10. #10Crawler Hawler2010-04-07 20:54

    Hmmmm..Honest question? or just a stab at union operators?? I would have taken the top half of that dump pile , buried the blade, then carried the load in 2nd gear,then pulled the windrows in, been done in 3 passes. I'm a union operator... Nice 10N BTW

  11. #11Miningpower2010-04-07 21:44

    Exactly. So 7 trucks running, with about 30 sec cycle time by the BH, 3 passes to load each truck, and about 3-4 mins to make it up to the backfill. That's a pretty consistant flow of trucks. Thanks!

  12. #12Idigindirt2010-04-09 16:58

    seriously dude, do you have to called it a "10N"? its a D10N and i know people called them "10N"s but this isnt yourjob site

  13. #13EGS2010-04-09 17:21

    Is it that much of a problem?

  14. #1495zIV2010-04-09 19:45

    seriously dude, who cares, if it bothers you DON'T READ IT, if you're that stuck up about it I think you'd be a great candidate for one of the ID10T's, but this isn't your thread.

  15. #15Idigindirt2010-04-10 09:33

    it doesnt bother me but in is youtube video he puts d10n and then in his post he puts 10n. its strange.... I am no means trying to start anything but am just wondering why he would put d10n on youtube and 10n here, are we not good enough for a entire title?

  16. #16Idigindirt2010-04-10 09:35

    D9R would be about right wouldn't yah say

  17. #17Vantage_TeS2010-04-10 14:26

    If they had one. 9's are somewhat rare, most places go 6 maybe an 8 and 10.

  18. #18Burnout2010-04-10 22:22

    Most of the guys in here would recognize him just calling it a 10N. Besides you type what your are used to saying. I forget the "D" all the time when I am talking about dozers. When I see the title 10N at work.... I am not clicking on it thinking... Hey maybe he means that New Holland DC10N trim dozer. As for the TenN being overkill......I would say a 9L would be just about perfect.:guns

  19. #19AmerIndependent2010-04-10 22:39

    Lol, you really feel strongly about this Idigindirt . It's like déjà vu from this other thread: The only argument I would use to encourage people to type D10N is so that you can search for it on the forums. Most people searching for a D10N would type in "D10N" and wouldn't find this thread as a result. Plus, there is a 4 character minimum for the search so typing "10N" would get rejected. Speaking of that, is there a way the search feature could be changed to search 3 characters? That way we can at least search things like "D9L" or "Cat"?

  20. #20Vantage_TeS2010-04-10 22:44

    I think searching for "Cat" on here while trying to find anything specific wouldn't narrow your search by much

  21. #21JTL2010-04-11 01:37

    I was running a 10N on a fill with 5 777D's hauling to me. A 3 foot lift with 100 plus tons of muck in front of you, coming in every 45 to 60 seconds. I didnt think that Cats torque convertor would ever cool off! Needless to say, I got behind a few times, and the slope Cat skinner on a 8R would come help me out.

  22. #22AmerIndependent2010-04-11 02:34

    Of course searching "Cat" wouldn't help but searching for "Cat 621B" would eliminate seeing a bunch of Case 621B tractors. Or for me, "Cat transmission" sure would be nice.

  23. #23Idigindirt2010-04-11 07:28

    ^^^^^^ I rest my case.

  24. #24lynchy2010-04-11 08:36

    Is that a case or a 'Case'?thanks for posting the video Miningpower keep 'em coming wot ever they're called them earth doozing thingy's!

  25. #25alco2010-04-11 13:12

    You never had a case.

  26. #26willie592010-04-11 18:53

    Seriously guys, what's all the fuss about. :beatsme I knew by seeing the title, before I viewed the video, that I would be looking at a D10N Caterpillar, it's common nomenclature in the operating world. No different if someone told me "we have 5 triple 7's", I would know they're talking about a 777 Caterpillar haul truck. Additionally, if I were a Super, and a prospective operator came to me for a job, and I asked him what dozers he's has operated, and told me a 6R, 8L, 9N, and 10N, I'd hire him, because it would be obvious he knows dozers. As for the brew ha ha stirred here, Miningpower gave us a good video of strip pit mining operations, don't think he wanted his thread to become controversial. Frankly, every mine I've been in frowns on pics or videos, he managed to give us a good video to watch, in what may have been a risky endeavor for him, we should be thankful that he did this for our pleasure, and quit making such a fuss over a simple letter of the alphabet that most operators omit every time they talk about the machines they operate themselves. Ok, getting off the stump now.

  27. #27Lashlander2010-04-11 19:48

    OK, I gotta laugh at this. Currently there's a thread about a guy and his 8N log skidder! Ha Ha! I'm thinking there's more in play here than the term 10N! I'm siding with Burnout. 9L would be a better fit. Guess I'll just keep dreaming the dream of being able to run some of this giant stuff some day!

  28. #28DPete2010-04-11 20:13

    Lash glad to see you back posting. As for the debate, you guys are are going to wake the mods bikering over such nonsence

  29. #29Tiny2010-04-11 20:30

    Just looked at his profile,11 posts total. 9 are trolling.

  30. #30EGS2010-04-11 20:43

    ATCO should be an administrator.

  31. #31Tiny2010-04-11 20:47

    Reminds me of a wise old owl .

  32. #32EGS2010-04-11 20:53

    ATCO or me?

  33. #33Tiny2010-04-11 20:56

    In a full blown effort to ride the fence and stay in the middle my answer is .....YES

  34. #34EGS2010-04-11 21:02

    I would of chose ATCO.

  35. #35RonG2010-04-12 05:08

    You have a D10 in your company don't you Lashlander?I am also pleased to see you posting once again.Ron G

  36. #36Gavin84w2010-04-12 05:38

    There are 1D10T,s everywhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  37. #37Lashlander2010-04-12 19:29

    Just the Smart Alec coming out in me!

  38. #38WhussJr2010-05-01 19:07

    Why would a 9L be a better fit than the 10N? I have run the dozer in the vid and 2 9Ls for another company. They are basiclly the same tractors. The 9L is an older version of the 10N. The 10 in the vid does alot more than just work the dump. That is my job site.

  39. #39Burnout2010-05-01 20:28

    I was pokin fun at the guy to see if he knew that a 9L and 10N are the same machine..... minus the series change yada yada. Oh wait im sorry... D10N and D9L. I don't want the cat police after me.

  40. #40AmerIndependent2010-05-01 21:19

    :stirthepot hahaha.

  41. #41KW3182010-05-02 11:02

    I always appreciate Miningpower's posts, he gets into places that most of us could never see. Like the guts of a large shovel or dragline (DL ), and his camera work is top notch. It's obvious from the dialog in his videos that he has built some good relationships with operators, and especially with management to be able to get access to the various mine sites. He also asks the operators some basic questions that may seem to be a little too basic to some of us, but if you think of the kids who might be viewing the videos, it's perfect. In view of his substantial investments in time and equipment, I could care less if he calls a D10N or a 10N! Thanks again MP**! Keep up the good work! :notworthy **Should that be MP, or M.P. or M-P, or M/P or Mp...

  42. #42Miningpower2010-05-02 13:40

    Thank you! I've been filming mining equipment for almost 2 years now. I enjoy filming as much as most people enjoy watching. Good thing you asked or you might have started another debate...haha! MP is fine by me