Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

12 ton excavator preference?

zraffz · 2015-05-05 13:56

I have narrowed down my choice to start out with a 12 ton excavator because it's the biggest machine I can safely tow with my single axle (21k rear) and the other companies in the area range from a 12 to 15 ton machine. I figure I can be legal with a 30,000lb machine at most I see multiple brands in the size and price range I am looking at. I'd like to stay right around $30,000... which puts me in the market for a 20 year old machine. I've spoken to a few local guys and everybody has their preference. I'd like to start looking at machines but don't know which manufacturer I want to go with. I ran a hitachi ex120-3 & 5 for a few years and liked it but was wondering how a Komatsu pc120-6 or a cat 312 would compare as far as power, fuel consumption and cost of parts. I'd have no issue switching hoses on the valve body to have my desired controls. I am mechanically inclined and wouldn't be paying for work to be done unless it was something major but their is a local shop who works on any brand. The closest dealer for the 3 brands is an hour away.

Replies9
  1. #1Dickjr.2015-05-05 15:57

    I wouldn't be really looking at the brand but more so the condition. Any of the three you mentioned , which ever one was the best condition would be my choice. I'd consider a Deere and a Case as well but solely based on the condition.

  2. #2zraffz2015-05-05 16:07

    I understand About the condition. I don't think case makes a machine in this size range and deere doesn't have a 120 model until a few years later and closer to 40 grand. If I was buying a 40g machine, I'd be selling the Pete for a tandem and buying a 135 model machine.

  3. #3JGibson2015-05-05 21:04

    Case has made a 9010, and a CX130, excavatly combarable to the PC120 and 312. Case And Link Belt are the same thing, but Link Belt makes a fnatastic machine, that would be a LS2659, 2650Q and 130LX. Deere also makes a fantastic excavator and they have been making a 12 ton machine longer then most... 490D, 490E fantastic machines. A model number doesn't say everything...

  4. #4JGibson2015-05-06 10:18

    A few spelling errors in my above post^... *exactly, *fantastic, *LS2650

  5. #5zraffz2015-05-06 11:20

    I actually really like what I am reading about the case 9010b! The price is right in my range too. I knew about the 490 deer and didn't know anything about the linkbelt manufacturer. I think I am defiantly in the market for a 9010b Or comparable linkbelt 2650q. Thanks.

  6. #6Johnny b2025-12-27 22:22

    Ls2650 link belt 1986 , wiring diagram needed?

  7. #7skyking12025-12-28 11:14

    start a new thread for this with what you typed as the title, and include the serial number in the thread body. Nobody is going to stumble onto your post with it hidden in this thread.

  8. #8DM&RDBulldog2025-12-28 11:26

    I wasnt even looking at the post dates and was about to respond that I just traded a 9010B and it should be going to auction soon seeing as the OP is close to me. Probably doesnt need it now lol.

  9. #9Johnny b2025-12-29 02:09

    Sorry guys and gals not the best at this, not for sure if anyone seeing this , here we go.. 1985 December LS 2650 manufacturered date , 200 $ manual and no electrical schematic diagram , what I got is everything that isn’t needed… Here’s serial #