Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

130G Military Grader

Essayons ยท 2012-11-26 16:58

What Transmission oil should i be running with this machine. The TM says you can run 15-40W motor oil if i understand it correctly. Just wanted to see what everyone else runs before i pour something in it. Thanks!

Replies14
  1. #1Lee-online2012-11-26 17:23

    We put 30w in most transmissions. here are the oils for a 74V 130G

  2. #2Nige2012-11-26 17:24

    I would personally recommend an drive train oil meeting Caterpillar TO-4 specification, an SAE 30 would be about right for your climate. When the 130G was originally built the transmission oil spec was TO-2 but that has been overtaken since then. I have no idea why your book would recommend engine oil. Lee, Can you get multigrades to meet TO-4 spec these days..? I thought they went by the board years ago.

  3. #3Essayons2012-11-26 17:40

    My book is an Army Technical Manual and list oils such as OE/HDO 30, which i took to be 30W. It also lists OE/HDO 10W-30 and OE/HDO 15W-40. The oil in it looks to have a hint of red color to it, didn't know if it was a special type. Thanks for your replies, all i have on hand is 30W all purpose hydraulic fluid, is that sufficient?

  4. #4Nige2012-11-26 17:51

    Pure Hydraulic fluid will not have the additives in it required for transmission service, so IMO it's not suitable. TO-4 oil is not really special, a large proportion of all powershift transmissions today use oil meeting the same spec. The red colour might well be a dye. We put colourings in some of our hydraulic/transmission oils so that if a machine is dripping oil on the ground we can immediately tell which system it's leaking from.

  5. #5Lee-online2012-11-26 18:02

    Because the 130 was a military machine it could well have ATF in it. Afterall, its a transmission. Remember military operators could mess up an anvil with a rubber mallet. We use tdto30, its bulk oil so i dont know all the specs, Cat does sell it in buckets but rarely use them.

  6. #6Essayons2012-11-26 18:07

    Thanks for the help, I will locate some correct oil instead of the hydraulic fluid. With some military machines, you really don't know whats in them, especially when they are 28 years old. As always, this really is the best site for ALL equipment help! Thanks again!

  7. #7Lee-online2012-11-26 18:29

    I did a few rebuilds on Cat military equipment and it had some weird oils in it. The military only changes oil when a sample comes back saying to change it. We did rebuild two 130G a few years ago. Here are the refills for a 130G

  8. #8ramheadjim2012-11-26 21:52

    Both of our 130G's have 15W40 in the trans and engines. gotta make it simple

  9. #9Essayons2012-11-28 11:59

    Well, i'm not sure what is in this one, but i did have some Cat TO-4 Drivetrain and Transmission oil that i forgot i bought. I would have never thought about it until ya'll mentioned that oil. I bought it for a D7F and didn't think about it working in a grader tranny.

  10. #10Nige2012-11-28 12:47

    So long as it's SAE30 that would be the perfect oil for your 130G tranny. TO-4 is also available in 10W & 50, neither of which would be particularly suitable for obvious reasons. Jim ........ years ago the thought was to standardize oils in different compartments to make maintenance easier. That's until people realized that certain oils (such as engine oil in a powershift tranny for example) was at best a compromise that didn't do the component any good in the long term. Unfortunately a lot of older O&M Manuals have never been updated to reflect the capacbility modern oils and are still quoting oil specs from 20 yeara ago. Don't let that stop you using engine oil in your tranny if you feel comfortable about it. I'm just pointing out that oils have advanced a lot since the manual for the 130G was last updated.

  11. #11Essayons2012-11-28 16:21

    Yes it is SAE30, forgot to mention that earlier. But like you said, i'm not sure what i poured it on top of. I am almost certain the original oil is still in the machine.

  12. #12Radrock2012-12-09 14:18

    Why is people referring the 130G as a military machine? I worked for a company that bought a brand new one. It is basically a 12G frame with a four cylinder in it. It ran pretty good considering

  13. #13Essayons2012-12-09 15:58

    The machine I was referring to is a military grader. OD green, slave receptacle, black out lights, the works. I didn't mean that all of those models are "military graders".

  14. #14Radrock2012-12-09 19:27

    Ok. Gotcha now,