Hello all!! Great, informative site!! I'm wondering what 15k should get me. Should I expect to get cab,extenda hoe, 4x4, 4in1 bucket, for this price range, and if so what brand, model are we looking at. I know nothing about backhoes, but just what I've read on here and searching machinery trader, farm world, rock and dirt, ect. I've read alot of posts stating we are in a buyers market, is this still true? What I will be using a backhoe for is farm use. Taking out trees in fence rows and water ways, fixing tile holes, general farm use. I am not brand specific but do need cab, and 4in1 or grapple, and extenda hoe for water ways. Any thoughts are welcome, and Ty in advance. Chewy
I sold a 2000 JCB 214 III for better than $17,000 Cab, extenda hoe, 4 wheel drive, 4 in one bucket, plumbed, it went to Canada, I know that was a well maintained backhoe with less than 5000 hours. The buyer knew equipment and checked it out. So it was a known product for a known amount of money, roll the dice buy on auction for less and take your chances or watch private sales and pay a mechanic?
Hey drc!! That sounds like a really good deal! I see 15 year older machines decked out with more hours selling for higher. It doesn't seem like there is much wiggle room on backhoes around me. They seem to stay with there asking price. Chewy
Some of the pricing differences you will find are going to be brand related. It seems like the Cats sell for more, then the John Deere and Case about the same, and the Fords, Terex, JCB, and the rest sell for a bit less. I'm talking about the same years, condition, hours and most other things being equal. Shop around and when you find one you like, take some pics, get some info and come back on here. This is a very helpful forum with lots of knowledgable people.
I'm sure the machine I sold is retailing for much more than I sold for. I think the point is try to buy private and really check out you purchase.
check out craigslist . i just did a search by me and 11 locally and another 30 in surrounding areas
+1 for Craigslist. They are local and in most cases you can try out the machine. If there is other equipment around you can also get a sense of how well he takes care of his stuff.