Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1818 case electrical problem

PantherCat9 ยท 2015-12-17 19:10

Hi I have an 1818 case skid steer and for the last cupple years Iv had a problem with it not generating power. It will run off the battery untill it dies and that's about it. It used to be that it could barley maintain enough power to stay on as long as the headlights were not on. Now it can't even do that. I think it was reading something like 11v on my multimeter last year when it ran. I replaced the battery last year and nothing changed. I noticed one of the drive belts is very loose but I think that is just to power the left wheels as there isn't much power on the left side any more. Would that belt being loose prevent the skid steer from generating electrisity aswell? The only other thing that I can think to mention is that when I go to start it after its been a long time the battery always seems to be dead. I'm almost certain that I didn't leave the key turned in the on position.

Replies14
  1. #1DIYDAVE2015-12-17 20:03

    What kind of engine? I assume gas. Had a gravely tractor with an onan pancake twin, same problem, turned out to be both the stator(wound into the flywheel) and the regulator, both were bad. Pics andor more info will get you closer to an answer...

  2. #2PantherCat92015-12-17 20:36

    Thanks for the reply, ya I totally forgot to say it's gas. And I just went out after posting this and that belt I was talking about actually tightens when you in guage the hydraulics. I was wondering why I couldn't find a release for the tensioner like you do on the serpentine belt of a car.I can take pictures what should I be taking pictures of? I guess that probobly means my hydraulic pump for the left wheels is bad?

  3. #3DIYDAVE2015-12-18 06:59

    As far as pics go, any ID of the motor, tags, etc. As for the left drive, check the motor attachment to the drive chain, sometimes you can have a sheared key at the motor, so that the motor turns, but slips in the sprocket, so to speak...

  4. #4mikebramel2015-12-18 09:23

    You need about 25-30V AC going into the voltage regulator. Check there first, the output should be 13-14V DC

  5. #5PantherCat92015-12-18 15:37
  6. #6PantherCat92015-12-18 15:39
  7. #7PantherCat92015-12-18 15:42

    what am I looking for here? this is the sprocket right? is it ok that a few paint chips fell into the pool of oil in here when I opened the panel?

  8. #8PantherCat92015-12-18 16:50

    is this the voltage regulator?

  9. #9mikebramel2015-12-18 17:02

    That's the ignition coil. It usually mounted on the flywheel side of the engine, on the top of the sheet metal shroud

  10. #10PantherCat92015-12-18 17:43

    how about that. my moneys on that thing with the 3 quick connects. if that's it how do I test the power coming into it?

  11. #11mikebramel2015-12-18 18:04

    Where your hand is, see the black wire that runs to the left to the "silver box". There should be three prongs on it. The outer two are AC voltage and the center one is DC (from what I remember). Hook one end of your meter up on ground and the other to each of those leads

  12. #12PantherCat92015-12-18 18:45

    Ok I think I might have 1 slight issue here. There is no wire on the right prong. I'm going to assume, correct me if I'm wrong, that the stator puts off the 25-30 vac you were talking about and sends it to the outer prongs on the regulator? Do I need to figure out why I'm missing a wire before I can test this?

  13. #13mikebramel2015-12-18 21:09

    I think the input is on the outside pins, the center pin is the output from what I remember. Just chase the wires back, two AC wires coming from behind the flywheel. The other, the charge wire will be connected back to the battery probably throgh the ignition switch or a relay

  14. #14PantherCat92015-12-19 19:07

    K awsome. I found the wires that read 31vac and I have stuck them onto either side of the regulator. What happens with the middle terminal again?