I have a 1830 case uniloader gas engine, that starts up great but then dies after 10 mins. It won't restart unless I let it sit for 20 mins, and then the same problems happens again. Does anyone know what the cause of this is? Or have any suggestions?
When it doesn't start, do you have spark, fuel at the carburetor?
Yes, it will restart but will quickly die. After I let it sit for about 10-20 mins it starts right up and runs great, But right around the 15 min mark of running it just dies until I let it sit again. It is very weird!
I understand that but, when it doesn't start does it have fuel and spark.
yes
How strong is the spark? If a short dull yellow spark, I would suspect a bad condenser or weak coil. Check the insulator that the wire for the points passes through the distributor housing. Ducellier distributors are known for the insulators getting bad but this usually gives a no start problem. Also check the points and rotor, I don't remember these very well but they are a simple ignition system.
Plugged vent on fuel tank?
Could be a plugged fuel vent. could be a bad coil. When it quits you need to check for spark at the plugs, and fuel at the carb. Could be a bad fuel pump, bad coil, sticky carb float, etc. Need to figure out what is not working when it quits. When I first got my tractor, it had a 6 volt coil, but had been converted to 12v. It would run for 20 minutes, then quit, wouldnt run for an hour or so. The coil would overheat and stop producing spark. Then sometime later it woul ddo the same thing, except it was getting spark. The fuel screen had loaded up and wouldn't let the fuel get to the carb fast enough.