Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1840 Case Leaking Control Spool on Tandem Pump

DJH72 ยท 2016-03-27 04:31

Control spool on the tandem pump is starting to leak oil pretty bad. I replaced the o-ring but it didn't make any difference, oil still comes out from around the control arm and runs down the case of the pump. I found a replacement spool online, but it is for a 1845 case. http://www.loaderpartssource.com/case-1845c-skid-steer-drive-pump-control-spool.html The picture looks like mine, but I am not sure if it is the exact replacement. Also, should I just replace the shaft part itself, or should I also replace the bushing that it fits into ( if that is possible)? Its seems parts like these are hard to find. Thanks, Doug

Replies6
  1. #1GaryHoff2016-03-27 16:33

    You should probably replace the sleeve that the spool sits in. They made an updated sleeve. The old sleeves are black, and the new ones are gold. case part number: 110671A1 The issue with the old sleeves was the o-ring would wear into the pump housing, causing leaks. Hopefully this hasn't happened. Removed the sleeve and inspect. Maybe just the O-rings are bad.

  2. #2DJH722016-03-27 17:30

    Thank you Gary. Im looking at the diagram and it looks like the sleeve should just pull straight out? Doug

  3. #3GaryHoff2016-03-27 22:42

    Yes, the sleeves will pull out. You may need a pick to pull it out. I just ground down a cheap pick, and hook it in the hole of the sleeve. Also when you pull out the spool, make sure you put it back in the same way.

  4. #4bartelbe2016-03-29 13:55

    Will add that if the sleave orings wore into the housing you can take the sleave to a machine shop and have a 2nd groove cut into the sleave for a 2nd oring. I have a couple precut ones sitting on the self i will take a pic and post if interested. Any time we fix the same leak you have we just automatically install the double cut sleave since 9 times out of 10 a new oring hasnt been a lasting fix and the leak returns later on.

  5. #5trevalyn2018-06-18 03:26

    bartelbe could I please have a picture of sleeve with new o ring groove. thank you . trevalyn , australia

  6. #6trevalyn2018-06-18 20:04

    could you send a picture to my email address please . [email protected] thank you,TREVOR