Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1845 case drive noisy

BIGDAN315 ยท 2008-05-22 21:40

I just purchased a used 1845 case skid steer and was wondering what would cause the left side drive motor to be so noisy ? Does it need rebuilding or is there some thing else that can be done, like adjustments or some thing ?

Replies12
  1. #1stumpjumper832008-05-22 22:02

    is the noise commin from the chain drive and sprockets or from the drive motors?

  2. #2KSSS2008-05-22 22:38

    Sounds like a chain is out of adjustment, or the pin lock has sheared and is bouncing around in there. Maybe a sprocket is rounded and the chain is jumping. Maybe you have no oil in the chain case. I would cease operating it and look at it. There is an inspection cover on top of the chain case.

  3. #3Willis Bushogin2008-05-23 18:33

    case 1845 Been there and had this problem. Mine was the wheel bearings, jack that side up and take a bar and see if you can move the tire, up and down. Its not a bad job to fix it. Take the tire off, outer wheel bearing, access plate, etc. Its been almost 3 years, but I dont remember anything funny you have to do. I dont remember messing with the chain adjuster, it takes a little work, getting the chain off and on, but its not hard, after you figure it out. Replace the oil (90W, I think) and get the numbers off the seal, before you remove it, sometimes the number gets messed up, removing it. You can get your local parts store to get the bearings, race and seals. They are a lot cheaper, than Case. I would get an extra set, because the others will fail. Add on steel tracks, are bad on the bearings. I hope this is your problem, for about $30, you can fix it. It might take you about 3-4 hours the first time and then about an hour for the next one. I would recommend checking all them, while you are doing it, I had one fail, on a job, in the mud. I had to get a wrecker to get it back to my shop. Let us know what you find out

  4. #4BIGDAN3152008-05-24 09:25

    I am pritty sure it's the drive motor making a loud wining noise like air cavitatating in hydraulics noise. You just have to touch the drive lever forward or back and it starts to wine. You don't even have to be moving , the heavyer the load the louder it wines. Sorry I didn't explain the noise better to begin with... ointhead

  5. #5Goose2008-05-24 22:37

    Does the machine have the gerator motors or the piston motors plus the planetary gearbox? If it has the gearbox your problem could be there.

  6. #6BIGDAN3152008-05-26 21:37

    Not sure ,how do you tell ? Have no manuals on it.

  7. #7Goose2008-05-27 22:21

    If you have the later style drive you will have the drive motor bolted directly to the chain box and the high pressure hoses come out of the motors on the front or rear of the motor. If you have the older style set up the motors will have and planetary between the motor and the chain box and the high pressure hose come off of the end caps of the motors and go toward the center of the machine and the to the pumps. If you go to an online Case parts manual it will show the 2 systems and how the look different. If you have the serial number of the machine that will also tell me which set up you have.

  8. #8BIGDAN3152008-05-28 21:02

    I believe the motors are bolted directly to the chain box.So I guess it's the later style.

  9. #9OCR2008-05-28 23:58

    case drive noisy: BIGDAN315, hello from OCR: I'm not familiar with you're machine, but I am with hydro static drive, ie... problems. Does it have a pump and motor for each side, ore just one pump and two motors? If it's the former, it could be both the pump and motor. I'm not trying to trouble shoot this, but I've heard that sound before on a Ford bi-directional Ag tractor... glad it was under warrenty... never want to hear it again either. Hope things work out for you... and keep us informed would you. Best of luck to you from OCR.

  10. #1074inchShovel2008-05-29 21:58

    Is this a B or C model, or the original 1845 with the 188 or 207 motor? I had a 1845 with a 188 and it was a whiney little beech, the dealer said they alot were that way. The C models seemed to be alot quieter. I would pull the hydraulic filter, cut it open and look for metal flakes. Not the best diagnostic test, but if there is any metal, or alot, may mean bad news.

  11. #11BIGDAN3152008-05-31 11:42

    It is a 1845 no A or B and yes I found some metal in the filter housing...:Banghead rather BB sised peices. The wine is louder from the left drive motor. This machine has 2 filters, one is a spin on and the other which is located down by the pump is an element which is where I found the metal.

  12. #1274inchShovel2008-05-31 15:22

    Not good- might be time to take the old girl to the nearest auction. BB sized pieces indicate a major hydraulic meltdown, metal is most likely through the whole system. If there is no motion in the machine and the noise is loud most likely the tandem pump. At the very least you should look at doing both pumps and motors.