Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

My first 753 bobcat

jaw56856@yahoo. ยท 2008-05-27 13:56

I just bought a 1998(3535hs) 753 bobcat, my first. The broker & I ran though its paces and it seems to operate fine. The first thing i want to do is go though and do a full service. As soon as i get ahold of the S/N I will order a service manual, the appear to be issued based on the S/N. Does any one have any recomendation for doing my first service job?

Replies11
  1. #1bobcatmechanic2008-05-27 19:41

    change all the fluids and filters especially the case drains and chain case with that many hours on it and not knowing the service records the chain case oil will probably be milky from the water it collects over the years and conditions it worked in other than that just the basics hyd filter oil filter oil hyd oil changed you can drain the hyd oil out of the system by using a hose and connect to the quick couplers and drain it with the auxiliaries teh chain case there is a plug on the under side of the machine behind a cover just pull it and be ready for a bath it will drain about 10 gal hyd oil out and then take the front chain case cover off and refill it through there get a new gasket for the front cover and your set

  2. #2jaw56856@yahoo.2008-06-02 18:45

    Thanks for the Pointers. You were right the oil in the chain case was milk. Swapped the oil out, the engine oil, radiator fluid, and hydro, engine, fuel, and air filters. I still need to drain the Hydro fluid. My question is this. I get good movement driving forwards, and backwards, but when I Pivot (one control forward and the other backwards at the same time) I get kind of a shaking and sputtering. Some one told me it could be an inline filter going to the drive pumps. Please see the video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVx1BYfEmXc Both sides operated correctly and independently when the machine was up on stands. When I first fired it up and pivoted, it works well (imo), but then stated to whine and shake. Any thoughts?

  3. #3bobcatmechanic2008-06-02 19:24

    did you change the case drain filters and the squealing belt sounds like the drive belt if it has the kubota its on the left side behind a plastic cover held by clips there is a drive tensioner there with a arrow on it should be at 3 o clock if not loosen the 3/8 bolt 9/16 wrench and use a pry bar to push down on it and tighten it up if it has the izuzu or perkins its on the left side and i think its the same except it uses a long bar and a fish scale to check the tension also was that all the way throttled up if not it will cause it to shake and bounce to. are the steering levers loose when the machine is off like you can move one wore then the other before it moves the neutral plate it may be a loose pintle arm the steering would be off and the machine would creep if it is something to check

  4. #4Wolf2008-06-02 19:40

    lucky you. Those are awesome machines, so fun to run. enjoy it. what are you going to use it for?

  5. #5jaw56856@yahoo.2008-06-03 07:37

    Where were the case drain filters, I was unable to find a plug on the under side of the skid( I saw what looked like a rubber washer with a round bolt head on it), so instead what I did was drain from the front plug by lifting the rear end with a jack and then siphoning out the remainder. I am still waiting on a service manual for my unit, so please forgive me if I seem to miss a few steps. I checked the belt on the Isuzu before I bought it, seems like it is some what new and the tensioner is brand new. What seems odd is the loud squeak only seems to occur when I am turning on a dime. When I go forward and backwards no noise at all, but when the drive lines are going opposite each other, bam noise. I am out of town at the moment, but when I return I will check the tension again, ensure the throttle is all the way up, and check the steering for play. But the pintle arms look new as well. Their are about a dozen or so lawn jobs around the house that it will be needed for, past that i am not sure. But i can alreay tell i will find excuses to play with it

  6. #6bobcatmechanic2008-06-03 13:25

    they should either be by the motors or one there and the other buy the hyd tank there will be a silver cylinder inside there is a copper filter change it out the bolt head looking thing and the rubber gasket are the drain plug you grab the silver gromet and bull it out with vise grips and a pry bar there are two there on faces forward towards the front that is the chain case plug the other faces rear ward it is the fuel drain plug

  7. #7jaw56856@yahoo.2008-06-03 15:58

    bobcatmechanic - Much thanks, you have been a great help, I will take a look when i get home and see if i can match up what you are talking about. My next cleaning job is under the cab, that is going to take a while, something to cut the dirt and grease without damaging the hydro lines

  8. #8bobcatmechanic2008-06-03 22:48

    we use a hotsy with soap and hot water blast the crud out there are drain holes on the bottom near the plate for the drain holes there is one on each side take the side covers off that cover the drive motors easy access to clean it all out

  9. #9jaw56856@yahoo.2008-06-07 19:02

    ok back home, checked the throttle, all the way forward. belt is a little loose, willl tighten. I was unable to locate the filters. A few images http://gallery.12thfloor.com/gallery2/v/users/jason/Bobcat753/IMG_1983.JPG.html and http://gallery.12thfloor.com/gallery2/v/users/jason/Bobcat753/?g2_page=5 do any of them show the filter?

  10. #10Eric R.2008-06-07 20:07

    It does not sound or look like the machine is running at the proper rpm. These machines have a hard time moving at idle. Especially turning. You need to run it at 3/4 throttle to keep from bogging the engine down. By running the the machine at idle or very low rpm you are putting allot of stress on your hydro pumps and engine. If you are running that machine at full throttle then something is wrong with you throttle linkage or something. :beatsme As far as the machine being shaky when you turn is all in how you control the machine. There is kind of an art or feel for it. Its usually easier to turn on the dirt than it is on concrete or asphalt because the tires grip to the surface. Remember its a skid steer. Its skidding when you turn. If then machine begins to shake really bad when you are turning. Put the steering controls back into a neutral position and start over. Otherwise its like riding a bucking bronco. :Cowboy

  11. #11Eric R.2008-06-07 20:12

    Tire pressure can affect turning (shaking and bouncing). If one or more tires are low it will affect turning. We run ours at 50 psi.