I have a leak on my lift arm seal. I have taken it apart. shaft/inside all looks good. I have removed the outer seal from the spool. the book shows couple more sealing pieces down under that seal. just wondered how other people got them out. didn't know id using a screw driver down through the center and trying to drive them out or maybe some one else has a different way. any advise is appreciated. thanks norm
Usually I would go with an inside 2/3 jaw puller or if I happen to have a close enough size match one of the blind hole expanding pullers, be careful with pounding a screwdriver in there you will score the bore and could cause other problems...
If I'm understanding the question what you are working on is one of the hydraulic cylinders that boom? And you have the wiper seal out of the gland, gland being the part that threads into the end of the cylinder and the rod passes through. There, I believe, should be two more "seals" down inside the gland. They can be a bit tough to get out but usually being careful with a screwdriver or something like an ice pick you can get them out, just try not to scratch the gland! Getting the new ones in can be tough but heating them in very hot almost boiling water will help just don't nick or cut them getting them in place. If you bought the new seals from a local dealer you might be able to have them install them. Most shops that do that kind of work have special tools to make the job of installing new seals pretty easy. If you expect to be keeping this machine a long time or have other machines with hydraulic cylinders of this type it might pay to buy the installer tools. One source on ebay is: https://www.ebay.com/i/112479786715?chn=ps
thanks. I have a manual and they talked about heating them and the danger of putting them in. I will check on those tools. thanks again. norm
Got the ram all apart fairly easy. ordered two kits. only problem was installing the seal. finally called the hyd guy and took it over to him. I walked in the door and handed him the spool and seal. he walked out the door and ill swear 10 seconds came back and handed me the spool with the new seal installed. look on my face must of said it all. with the right tools and knowledge things are so much easier aren't they. Anyway I got it all back together and it works fine. only problem I had was a damaged the outer seal so had to use the other one so now I have to get that wiper seal to do the other but I am thinking about just taking the whole thing to the hyd guy and let him do it. I did order that tool for future uses if needed. have a good day. norm
Yes it is amazing how easy a job can be with the right tools and a little experience.