So I needed to change the belt tensioner and I figured I'd put a new fan belt on while I was in there.... but it looks like I'd have to drain the hydraulics and pull the pump off the crankshaft to do that. Really? Just to change a belt I have to screw with all that? Is there something I'm missing?
The hydraulic pump is attached to the crankshaft with a splined coupler. Remove the 4 bolts from the coupler to crankshaft. There is a notch in the engine (harp) mount the bolts will only come out when lined up with that notch. Once all 4 bolts are out slide the coupler towards the pump, it will leave you room to get the belt on. Reverse order for assembly. I'd spray the coupler with penetrating oil they tend to rust up.
gggraham, I hadn't responded to this post because I haven't worked on the 1845. From what you describe Case has kept their wits. I've worked on plenty of the Case loader/hoes and that's the way they're made. Remove the coupling bolts, slide the coupling on the splined shaft, and you have just enough room to slip a new belt in there. I always liked working on the Case loader/hoes, very mechanic friendly.
You da man... Mr. Graham, Can't tell you how much I appreciate the info. Although I've looked at the online parts breakdown, it's not the kind of thing where you can pick up on the nuances real easily. Thanks again, this was exactly the info I needed.
ReBob808, Where did you find an online parts breakdown for the 1845C? I'm taking delivery of my first SS on Saturday 5/23/09 and have been trying to become familiar with this machine. I have a small farm in NE Texas and plan to use the SS for cleaning up around the creek area (once it get dry) and general earth moving. Thanks Bob East of Lone Oak, TX
www.casece.com click on Parts and Service tab scroll down and click Parts Catalog on the next page you have to click the Launch Parts Catalog tab just above the video your there. just type in your model number.
I'd been to that site before, but must have missed the parts list :0 Thanks Bob East of Lone Oak, TX
Dave 580k case How do i check to see if my tensioner is bad? When engine is idling the belt and idler is fairly stable,but when i rev the engine up the idler is bouncing all over and the engine is shaking. All mounts seem ok. Not sure what is causing everything to shake. Any help is greatly app. Just joined the forum and seems like a lot of good info here.
Changing V Belt on 1840 Case Skidsteer There is easier way to change belt instead of trying to unbolt coupler (4 bolts). There are two bolts that hold the Hydraulic pump on the engine bracket (easy to access when radiator is out). Unbolt and the pump will slide back pulling spline out of coupler. There will be enough room to slide the old belt out and new belt in. Just did one and took about 10 mins.
Thanks for the information. Had to replace the fan belt on my 1845C. Did just like you said. Pulled the radiator and then the two 5/8 inch bolts holding the pump on. A little WD-40 on the splined shaft and the pump slid out. Belt went right on. Took about 2-1/2 to 3 hours, start to finish including flushing the radiator.
Thanks guys! I know this is an old post, but it help me as whole lot. One other thing, to relieve tension on the belt tensioner so that you can get the belt on and off, I simply connected a chain binder to the tensioner and came around the muffler up to the top of the frame. Worked like a charm.
I wondered what that chain was doing in your "Muffler Clamp" post pictures. BTW there is a square drive hole in the tensioner to pry on to relieve the belt tension. SimS
Thanks Sims! I couldn't find anywhere to pry on the tensioner. Damn radiator was in the way. Thanks for pointing out the square hole! Now I know. Appreciate it!
Messick's has a great easy to use online parts site!! I used it a ton when I rebuilt my beauty!