Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1845C fuel gelled? or frozen up?

ac45 ยท 2010-01-12 09:42

I thought maybe someone may have some insight to a pump/ fuel problem I had this weekend. It was about 20 degrees out and i had been using the machine for about 15 minutes. it then started to slow down like it was running out of fuel then it would rev up. it continued this for a few minutes before finally dieing, I checked the fuel and it was fine, changed filter, and pressurized tank with air hose to fill filter etc. I removed the lines from the injectors and when scranking cannot get much if any fuel out of them. I have plenty of fuel to the pump inlet when I crack the lines and pressureize the tank. I also checked to make sure the shut off solonoid would click when you put 12 volts to it from the wire and it would. Any ideas? I may wait until it warms up above freezing before i do anything else.

Replies6
  1. #1TimHay2010-01-12 11:16

    I would check with my supplier to see if it was a winter fuel. iF yes you have other problems. if not warm it up with a herman nelson and tarp dump some karosene in the fuel tank and some conditioner. The karosene will cut the fuel and lower the freezing point

  2. #2Steve Frazier2010-01-12 12:28

    Any problem you might have with the fueling system will rear its head in cold weather. You have a restriction in the line somewhere, it could be gelling, dirt or ice. If you can tarp and heat as was suggested, adding Power Service 911 should cure gelling and icing issues. If the problem persists you'll have to start at one end of the fuel line and work to the other cleaning along the way. I had an old JD 310 that plagued me until I flushed the tank and fuel line.

  3. #3Steve Frazier2010-01-12 12:28

    Any problem you might have with the fueling system will rear its head in cold weather. You have a restriction in the line somewhere, it could be gelling, dirt or ice. If you can tarp and heat as was suggested, adding Power Service 911 should cure gelling and icing issues. If the problem persists you'll have to start at one end of the fuel line and work to the other cleaning along the way. I had an old JD 310 that plagued me until I flushed the tank and fuel line.

  4. #4carogator2010-01-12 14:57

    Just an added piece of information for all around use. In cold weather I have always put an old thick sock (prefer wool) around fuel filter to help keep the temp up. Just my .02 cents

  5. #5CRAFT2010-01-13 00:38

    Huh ???????

  6. #6junkacres2010-01-13 20:18

    Original problem of running for awhile then quitting at 20 degrees. Sounds like what happened to me when I had ice in the fuel filter / separator. 20 degrees sounds a little warm to gel the fuel.