Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1845C heater and float

awschucks ยท 2010-09-07 16:17

HI, I am wanting to add a heater on my 1845C. Does any one know of the best location of heater hoses on the engine block? I believe I have a Cummins engine. I can't get the float to work on this machine. Any suggestions? I've spent about an hour twisting the left handle to the float postion, but continue to get full hydraulic pressure to the lift arms. I did adjust the linkage going to control valve to ensure full travel on the control valve. Thx, Dave

Replies9
  1. #1melben2010-09-08 08:40

    Dave, the hose hookup points are in the head right behind the fuel filter and on the bottom of the casting that the lower hose slips on from the radiator. If the spool is travelling fully chances are the detent mechanism is rusted badly and inoperable. Case sells a kit that contains all the items to repair the detent. It can be installed without removing the valve assembly but not easily and would be better done on the bench as the new detent stud in the spool is supposed to be loctited in place and oil will be a problem if not done on the bench. melben

  2. #2doityourselfer2010-09-24 00:04

    Hey Dave Funny finding you here. I have the same question: where do I attach my cab heater lines? This is TJ from 21D.:beatsme

  3. #3doityourselfer2010-09-24 00:08

    I have a Gehl 4835 same question

  4. #4awschucks2010-09-29 19:20

    Hi, I finally took the time to dig into the float problem. I took off the cover on the back of the valve assembly. Pretty hard to get at, but it came off. Found out that it has two detent balls. One was OK, but the other one was stuck. The stuck one was mounted on the end of a Threaded screw, so took the screw out. I took the torch to the end of the bolt, then quickly cooled it off with penetrant. Wahoo, it loosened up. I worked it for sevearl minutes and lots of gunk came out of the detent. Screwed it back in and replaced the whole thing back on the valve assy. It was hard to get at, but finally got it back on. Fired up the machine and wahoo, the float works easily. Dave

  5. #5Z28982010-09-29 20:40

    Hey Dave, do you mind me asking what year of 1845C you have? When you say "Float" you mean full float on the loader arms and bucket circuits?

  6. #6maddog2010-09-30 16:57

    gald you got it fixed I noticed mine{1840} liked to stick hard. The more I use it the better it seems to be getting losened up

  7. #7gggraham2010-09-30 22:22

    The detents on the 1840 and 1845 series always get a little tough at times. Sometimes it is a broken end, a loose end or it has got some corrosion from moisture. I have seen where the spring and ball are kind of rusty/dirty. remove the screw (the spring does not have that much tension) remove the ball and spring clean them and then blow out the cap. This works on some occasions and saves time taking the whole thing apart.

  8. #8awschucks2010-10-01 19:42

    HI, Z2898, I'm not sure of the year. How do you tell? My float detent looks a liitle different than the one in the picture. I have a flat plate that had two bolts across the top of it. The valve rod sticks out of the plate and one of the balls in the plate was all rusted. I used heat to loosen the ball without wreaking the spring. Now the arm float works great. I'll be plowing snow and wanted the arms to follow the ground while keepiing the wheels on the ground. Dave

  9. #9Z28982010-10-03 20:59

    Hey Dave & GGGraham, Thanks for the info! I have no magical answer to find a year on a machine. I just search the net for serial numbers just above and below mine and summized the year I had. Z